Analysis Challenge Progression
The Professor
Jul 29 2013, 12:52 PM
Theory Instructor
Analysis Challenge Progression

A big part of learning music theory is learning how to apply it to your everyday performance and practice routine.

In today’s article, we’ll be looking at an 8-bar chord progression, analyzing it and then breaking down how you would solo over specific chords and the progression as a whole.

Using theory in this way will not only allow you to understand the music that you are playing in a more secure fashion, but it will allow you to quickly and easily break down any new chord progression that’s put in front of you, and then soloing over it without having to practice the progression itself.

So, to get started, here is the chord progression for today’s analysis, with the analysis challenge questions written just below. Good luck!

Analysis Challenge Chord Progression

Attached Image

Analysis Challenge Questions

Check out the chord progression above, and then do you best to answer the six questions below.

Post your answers in the comments thread below this article and I will check your work to see how you’ve done.

When posting answers, please use the “spoiler” button to the left of the article to hide your answers from others that don’t want to see them before they post their own.

Here are the 6 Analysis Challenge questions for today, good luck!

1. What are the names of each chord in the progression?

2. What is the key(s) of this progression?

3. What scale(s) could you use to solo over this chord progression?

4. What mode would you use to solo over the chord in bar 3 of the progression in particular?

5. Spell out the notes, using letters, that make up the chord in bar 4 of the progression.

5. If you transposed these chords to the key of E, what would they be?

Spoiler:
1. D Bm G C Bm A G A
2. G Major 1st 4 bars then D major 2nd 4 bars
3. G Major Scale 1st 4 bars, then D major 2nd 4 bars
4. G Ionian
5. C E G
6. B G#m E A G#m F# E F#

There you have it. Post your answers below and let’s see how you do!

If you have any questions regarding this analysis, or the chord progression itself, feel free to post them below and I’ll be happy to answer them right away.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Professor: Aug 7 2013, 10:14 AM

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:03 AM