3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Avoiding Sound Syncing, is it possible
Phil66
Jan 20 2019, 09:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,
I'm currently using a Sony camcorder, Reaper, Windows Movie Maker and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen.

I have got pretty quick at syncing the sound file to the video in the simple, but ideal for me, Movie Maker but it would be lovely to be able to capture sound and video in some sort of software so I don't have to manually sync.

What do you suggest? What should I look for in a camera, I can't output directly to my computer with my current one so I have to transfer the file. What software can I use with a quick learning curve?

Thank you for your help.

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2019, 08:48 AM
Learning Rock Star
Both my camcorder and Dslr can function as webcams with some software and work arounds, but officially they can't. Of course that does not mean that yours can too. But it does make it a lot easier to record video, stream etc. This was from when I was trying to get into tgat

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 21 2019, 07:34 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2019, 11:07 AM
Thanks Ben,

I'm currently not using a mic and don't mind changing my camera but I think I'm probably just being a bit lazy, it doesn't take more than a minute rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2019, 11:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Phil. Sorry for my short reply. I was on my phone waiting for someone to arrive and thought I could just manage to write a few words.

I use either OBS or StreamLabs OBS even for recording by the way smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 21 2019, 07:21 PM
Learning Roadie
The quickest way but not best for quality is to capture everything through a webcams mic. I have stereo mics in my logitech and run my guitar through the computer so all sound comes out of the speakers.

It's not ideal but if you are looking for a quick way to get videos up for you mentor then it's better than not bothering because of the effort required.

Saying that I'm one to talk I've bailed on both Gab and Todd multiple times through lack of commitment and effort

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2019, 07:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 21 2019, 07:21 PM) *
The quickest way but not best for quality is to capture everything through a webcams mic. I have stereo mics in my logitech and run my guitar through the computer so all sound comes out of the speakers.

It's not ideal but if you are looking for a quick way to get videos up for you mentor then it's better than not bothering because of the effort required.

Saying that I'm one to talk I've bailed on both Gab and Todd multiple times through lack of commitment and effort

There are video programs that let you capture "desktop sound" (I'm pretty sure Phil plays through the computer somehow, right? Not sure though...) as well as video at the same time. This will capture everything that is heard on the computer in real time and sync up meanwhile with the video. It's essentially how I did the video posted above. It's not as easy setting up of course, but much better for quality and essentially as easy as pushing "record" in the program.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2019, 09:28 PM
Thanks folks,

First step is a camera that will send direct to the PC, any ideas?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2019, 09:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 21 2019, 09:28 PM) *
Thanks folks,

Cheers

Phil

Any new webcam could do, even my old C525 works alright for that, otherwise some DSLR cameras have that functionality and even regular digital cameras sometimes come with the feature. My handycam is a Sony HDR CX405, however as it does not have this feature I have to run it through a game capture card, such as the Elgato HD60 S.

Just to underline the flexibility of a 3 cam setup with OBS or StreamLabs OBS, this was recorded with 3 cameras all recording audio/video in real time to the computer, using Logitech Quickcam for the web cam, StreamLabs OBS for the Sony and I think it was SparkoCam for the DSLR, which essentially turns even an old DSLR such as mine (Canon 500D from 2009) into a "webcam" or realtime recording device. In Sony Vegas you load in the three videos, select a multi-cam editing option (I can't remember exactly now) and you literally just click on the ones you want to switch to. Obvious you don't want 3x the sound, so you mute two of them.

So if you want a cheap suggestion use a webcam, record with OBS for instance (it's free), you select your audio source which can be a microphone, desktop sound, line in etc. Hit record and your video and audio is recorded at the same time into the video.

Of course I would not use this method for really high quality professional use, but in terms of functionalities and ease of use, no syncing afterwards, I find it's hard to beat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2019, 05:49 AM
GMC:er
Ben has put up some great info! I hope it finds it's way to the wiki! As he said
1.)ANY web cam will allow you to record video and web cam audio directly to hard drive.

2.)The Logitech Utility that comes with their web cams will let you choose which audio and video source you want so you can use your web cam for video and the output from you HELIX for the audio!! That way you have perfectly synched audio and video recorded at once and ready to go smile.gif

Here is a link to download the logitech software for PC.https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/capture

Hope this helps!!!
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 21 2019, 04:28 PM) *
Thanks folks,

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 23 2019, 08:39 PM
Thanks Todd and Ben,

I was about to order THIS but when I instaled the Logitech software I noticed that I can only select the onboard mic, the Focusrite or the Helix as my sound source, what about if I want to record my DAW too if I'm playing along to a backing, like in a collab for instance?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 23 2019, 10:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 23 2019, 08:39 PM) *
Thanks Todd and Ben,

I was about to order THIS but when I instaled the Logitech software I noticed that I can only select the onboard mic, the Focusrite or the Helix as my sound source, what about if I want to record my DAW too if I'm playing along to a backing, like in a collab for instance?

Cheers

What I do is run a headphones output (I would guess it could be any other output on your audiocard, but Todd will be able to answer that) into a line-in on the computer (which is the built in audiocard essentially). For me it's called something along the lines of "Realtek High Definition Line in". When this is selected as the one to record it should work. However, better hold on till Todd arrives of course. He's likely better at explaining it than I am.

Another option: In OBS (the software I mentioned in my other post) I am able to select "desktop sound" as audio source to record. I don't think this is possible in Logitech actually, but it has been a while since I have had any of the programs opened and really checked out functionalities. From what I recall choosing "desktop sound" as audio source captures Reaper for instances and anything I have running through that, while also recording a backing on YouTube.

I have changed my recording process a bit though, given that I live by own with no neighbors, I can be a bit louder at all times of day, meaning I have mic'ed up my amp, and I run that amp to the audio card, simultaneously as having "desktop audio" as a source. Essentially it leaves me a lot of different options with a few clicks:

- I can play on my amp with or without the computer
- I can play drums with the headphones via the headphones output (and turn down the other volume knobs on the Scarlett) using Superior Drummer 3
- I can play piano/keyboard as soon as computer is on
- I can record vocals as soon as computer is on
- I can record vid/audio in realtime to the computer without having to sync things up, including recording backing track or anything else
- I can record to Reaper only
- I can record audio and video seperate and not synced
- I can stream live with ALL instruments available at all times (guitar, keys, mic and drums)
- I even have a computer monitor at the wall of my drum set which is connected to a laptop around there. This laptops speaker output goes to my Scarlett, so the drumless backing tracks I choose on the laptop i.e. for practice comes out of my headphones along with the sound from Superior Drummer 3
- I could even plug my guitar to an input on the Scarlett and use BIAS Fx if I wanted to, however that input is currently taken by the mic'ed up amp

I might have forgotten a few things there, but all this is readily available for me with a few clicks at most. As said, it can be a bit tricky setting up both cable wise and a bit confusing software wise, but eventually it is all very simple to work with with no changing of cables etc. Sure, volume needs be adjusted from the sources depending on how loud the various instruments or backing tracks are at a given time, but that would likely be the case for most situations.

The only downside is that my amp head is not suitable for going directly to the audio card or have a headphones output, which means that whenever I use my amp it comes out the cab, so there's no amp+headphones practice available. Essentially that is great for me, as no one else can hear me anyway, but I could see situations where that could be less than ideal.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 23 2019, 10:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2019, 07:46 AM
You nailed it!!! The "headphone out" trick is the same thing that I use. It allows daw ouput to feed in to an input of another interface, like the focus rite. When I'd use this technique, I'd say use your daw output fed through the headphone output of your computer to one of the inputs (or both if you wanna get saucey and use stereo, but of course that means going 1/8th inch male stereo plug to dual quarter inch male, to feed the inputs of the focusright. Then set the logitech software to take the focusrite as the audio source and web cam or what not as video source. This yields a single video file with synchronized audio.

As I'm using a firewire cam, I am currently running "dual system" meaning I'm synching audio/video manually. The only way to do it with synch for me is to use the quicktime utility and that won't let me capture HD video, I have to use below HD resolution.

Todd

uote name='Caelumamittendum' post='765554' date='Jan 23 2019, 05:06 PM']What I do is run a headphones output (I would guess it could be any other output on your audiocard, but Todd will be able to answer that) into a line-in on the computer (which is the built in audiocard essentially). For me it's called something along the lines of "Realtek High Definition Line in". When this is selected as the one to record it should work. However, better hold on till Todd arrives of course. He's likely better at explaining it than I am.
Another option: In OBS (the software I mentioned in my other post) I am able to select "desktop sound" as audio source to record. I don't think this is possible in Logitech actually, but it has been a while since I have had any of the programs opened and really checked out functionalities. From what I recall choosing "desktop sound" as audio source captures Reaper for instances and anything I have running through that, while also recording a backing on YouTube.

I have changed my recording process a bit though, given that I live by own with no neighbors, I can be a bit louder at all times of day, meaning I have mic'ed up my amp, and I run that amp to the audio card, simultaneously as having "desktop audio" as a source. Essentially it leaves me a lot of different options with a few clicks:

- I can play on my amp with or without the computer
- I can play drums with the headphones via the headphones output (and turn down the other volume knobs on the Scarlett) using Superior Drummer 3
- I can play piano/keyboard as soon as computer is on
- I can record vocals as soon as computer is on
- I can record vid/audio in realtime to the computer without having to sync things up, including recording backing track or anything else
- I can record to Reaper only
- I can record audio and video seperate and not synced
- I can stream live with ALL instruments available at all times (guitar, keys, mic and drums)
- I even have a computer monitor at the wall of my drum set which is connected to a laptop around there. This laptops speaker output goes to my Scarlett, so the drumless backing tracks I choose on the laptop i.e. for practice comes out of my headphones along with the sound from Superior Drummer 3
- I could even plug my guitar to an input on the Scarlett and use BIAS Fx if I wanted to, however that input is currently taken by the mic'ed up amp

I might have forgotten a few things there, but all this is readily available for me with a few clicks at most. As said, it can be a bit tricky setting up both cable wise and a bit confusing software wise, but eventually it is all very simple to work with with no changing of cables etc. Sure, volume needs be adjusted from the sources depending on how loud the various instruments or backing tracks are at a given time, but that would likely be the case for most situations.

The only downside is that my amp head is not suitable for going directly to the audio card or have a headphones output, which means that whenever I use my amp it comes out the cab, so there's no amp+headphones practice available. Essentially that is great for me, as no one else can hear me anyway, but I could see situations where that could be less than ideal.[/quote]

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 24 2019, 07:55 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 24 2019, 10:22 AM
Thanks folks,

I need to get my head around it all wacko.gif , what do you think about that web cam?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 24 2019, 11:50 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 24 2019, 10:22 AM) *
Thanks folks,

I need to get my head around it all wacko.gif , what do you think about that web cam?

Cheers

Phil

The webcam in itself is supposed to be great from what I hear smile.gif Of course it's not an expensive handy cam with webcam function or DSLR with video function, but if you check some videos on YouTube, I think it provides great quality for the money. It is on my list of upgrades as well, as my old C525 is not all that great these days, coming up to be 8 years old and not a high quality one of it's day either, but it works still and with good lights it does the job for me still. C922 should be a lot better smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 24 2019, 01:02 PM
I didn't realise you can get handy cams with web cam feature. But I bet the software wouldn't be as easy to use as the Logitech software would it?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 24 2019, 03:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 24 2019, 01:02 PM) *
I didn't realise you can get handy cams with web cam feature. But I bet the software wouldn't be as easy to use as the Logitech software would it?

Cheers

https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/suppo...ticles/00129676

I haven't used any Sony software with my Sony handycam, so I can't really tell. But it has no real native webcam functionality either, so I run it through my Elgato HD60 S capture card and into the computer smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 24 2019, 09:00 PM
I really don't know what to do, struggling to find a camcorder with webcam function and aren't sure about video recording quality on webcams, hard to tell on youtube.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 24 2019, 09:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
From what I understand the C920 is the old model of the C922 and might have more vids, but I'm not sure about that. It's off the top of my head.

And here's the C922:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 25 2019, 06:58 AM
Sadly most "camcorders" these days are mostly just camcorders. Firewire has fallen out of favor ever since Apple decided to stop using firewire ports. of course, you could always get a firewire card, if you don't already have firewire ports, and just get an older firewire camera, which is what I'm using. It's a full HD web cam the canon HV30, goes about $100, does full HD. Was $1,200 new. You can capture audio and video together. You can pick the output of your focus rite (I think) to get your daw output. But I'm on a mac so I can't test that.

if you want to buy new, your looking at a Web cam or a DSLR. Very few DSLR cameras support live video over USB to your computer. The ones that do support it are NOT cheap. Probably way outside the budget. So your down to web cam. The best web cam you can get won't look as good as the old HD camcorder im using simply because web cams skimp on glass (lense) to save money. That said, the quality is still more than adequate and you can use a logitech cam with that logitech software and pick your audio source. The trick is to find if you can select your audio out to capture the full output of your daw without needing to do the headphone out trick. There is this handy little app which creates a virtual audio device. https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/ You can select it in your logitech capture utility and get full daw feed with your backing and your playing.

THE BOTTOM LINE

So the easiest/cheapest way is to get that web cam you were looking at, about $100(this is the top of the line logitech cam https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/c922-pro-stream-webcam?crid=34 )://https://www.logitech.com/en-us/prod...ebcam?crid=34 )://https://www.logitech.com/en-us/prod...ebcam?crid=34 ), install that virtual audio app that I linked, https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/ and capture using the logitech utility by settin video to the web cam and audio to the virtual audio device. smile.gif Sorted!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 24 2019, 04:00 PM) *
I really don't know what to do, struggling to find a camcorder with webcam function and aren't sure about video recording quality on webcams, hard to tell on youtube.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 25 2019, 07:03 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 25 2019, 01:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
As said earlier I am not even sure virtual cable is needed with OBS. And that is free too. I certainly have never had to use virtual cable in that, but it's been a while. I am pretty sure I have been able to select desktop sound as my audio source, which will basically be anything you hear yourself. Or rather that your computer hears.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:45 AM