> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 46 47 48 49 50 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 28 2016, 11:47 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

that's what makes the mix of your guitar sound a bit like with flanger or modulation. The original song is in Ab, but I think that maybe Angus tuned his guitar in flat and played as it were A. If you keep your guitar tuned in standard, you should play everything in Ab.

However, I recommend you to use this backing:

So you can keep standard tuning and play it in A.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 29 2016, 09:25 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ah thanks Gab,

So the chords are tabbed correctly but named wrong above the TAB?

UPDATE 28th October 2016:

I was seriously short on time this evening so I had a go at the Sunday Shred Fest Challenge which is something I want to do each week if possible anyway. So I didn't do any of my assignment. Sorry Gab but this was still very very enjoyable. If you want to check it out you can see it HERE. If you watched it what did you think?

UPDATE 29th October 2016:

GC Jr : 45 minutes (Total time 205).
Spent a lot of time on this. It was one of those times when you HAVE to try to crack it because you are so close. I can play all the individual parts at 100%. Messing up sometimes when tying them all together. Hopefully tomorrow I can record it. I think I was being optimistic when I said I'd get a video to you this weekend.

AC/DC rhythm: 15 minutes (Total time 165).
I've decided to leave out learning the chorus chords until I have nailed playing the rhythm all the way through? I'm starting to think that might be better for now, what do you think? There is a drum beat that comes in a split second before the guitar, I used this a few times and then I could come in without thinking so much about it but it's not natural yet wink.gif.

AC/DC solo: 15 minutes (Total time 155).
Improvising for the solo. Starting off similar to the original.

UPDATE 30th October 2016:

GC Jr : 45 minutes (Total time 250).

Struggling to get it all together. I have posted a take below. I was fairly stressed when I recorded this because I had been trying to get it right for lots of takes. I've left out a phrase. I can play it on its own but for some reason in the track I can't unsure.gif I've posted the phrase too. I can actually play it much better with just the GP5 file but that's purely because there are no other instruments to distract smile.gif I know I came in too late on the one lick with the three notes at the 12th and 10th fret.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/take-2-phrase-missing

The phrase that I struggle with.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/phrase

I just think it's a matter of more time with it to get it more familiar. It's going in my car this week wink.gif Any tips?

AC/DC rhythm: 30 minutes (Total time 195).

Really enjoy playing along to this, kinda gets the adrenaline going a bit wink.gif How do you think it's coming along? .
Couldn't post this to Soundcloud. I'm panned hard left.
Attached File  Main_rhythm_up_to_second_chorus..mp3 ( 4.15MB ) Number of downloads: 85

AC/DC solo: 15 minutes (Total time 170).

Improvising for the solo. Starting off similar to the original. Just need to keep on trying different things.

Should I only post updates when there is a question or a recording or would you rather monitor my practise daily? It makes no difference to me, I'll do what ever you prefer, either way is fine for me wink.gif

Cheers buddy. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 30 2016, 01:31 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 30 2016, 05:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Lots of great stuff here! smile.gif

"So the chords are tabbed correctly but named wrong above the TAB? "

This is relative. There is not a rule about this, but if we are purist and refer to pitches, the real name is Ab. However, when transposing an instrument with a tuning change or a transport, musicians usually tend to keep the same name (in this case if would be A) that would use with standard playing to keep it simpler. So the flat thing is only informed at the beginning of the tab.

"If you watched it what did you think?"

I really enjoyed it. I think that your phrasing is really clear on it. I can find a direction in your solo and a good relation between each phrase and the following one. The use of rhythm and silences is good! Things to work:

- That bend that is repeated many times, tend to be out of pitch. Besides this, I think that it would be better to play it less times, and find other ways to reach that note, with slides, just playing the note, harmonic, octave, etc.

- Use different kinds of bends. Check the first part of this lesson starting at 01:41: https://youtu.be/J08BlfUa9JU

- Learn some Gilmour style licks to mix them with your own licks.

- Experiment with dynamics.

"I've decided to leave out learning the chorus chords until I have nailed playing the rhythm all the way through? I'm starting to think that might be better for now, what do you think?"

That sounds good.

About the GC Jr lesson, I think that it's on the way. That lick is the trickier one, you can play it alone, but the difficulty is when playing it over the backing so that's how you need to practice it.

The intro and verse for highway to hell sounds very good. I even can't differentiate your guitar from the original! biggrin.gif

#Should I only post updates when there is a question or a recording or would you rather monitor my practise daily? It makes no difference to me, I'll do what ever you prefer, either way is fine for me #

Whenever you want, you're always welcome.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 31 2016, 10:02 PM
Hello Gab,

Thanks for those great comments.

Tonight I only had 30 minutes as I had end of month figures to do for work and I need to do them at home as I'm too busy at work mad.gif laugh.gif

I did the Gary Clarke Jr lesson again. It's getting addictive laugh.gif

I'm getting better, the lick that i'm struggling with now is the one below. Not playing the lick but the timing of it, it seems to come in just after the beat to me but I get lost on which beat it comes in just after biggrin.gif . Practise practise practise. Build build build

-----------------------------|
-----12----------------------|
---------\12--10~---L--------|

As well as GC Jr I'll do AC/DC tomorrow, I'm getting pretty close with the rhythm and the assignment task is to learn the rhythm up to the chorus, I've gone slightly beyond that and gone to the second chorus but don't always come in on time after the first verse. Again practise practise practise. Build build build.

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 31 2016, 10:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 1 2016, 03:02 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil, great news and wise words: Practice.

smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2016, 10:16 PM
Hello Gab;

GC Jr : 30 minutes (Total time 310).

Here is my video submission. Getting closer all the time, had some REC button nerves laugh.gif . I hope you don't mind but I've put this in the REC zone wink.gif

AC/DC rhythm: 30 minutes (Total time 225).

Here is my video submission. Pretty close now smile.gif

AC/DC solo: 0 minutes (Total time 170).

Didn't have time after recording and sorting out the other two videos. I'm struggling to come up with anything very good anyway. Need lots of improv practise and building of licks etc.

I know they aren't perfect but are they a pass?

I thought you might like a chuckle. Listen to how my car pronounces your name smile.gif In my iPod I have created an Artist called "GMC Lessons" and the album names are the instructors names that have created the lesson. This helps keep it in an order easy to find. smile.gif It sounds like she has a mouthful of water laugh.gif

Cheers buddy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 2 2016, 12:16 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Your "Gab in the car" vid made my day! hahaha it's epic. I hope that you don't care that I've shared it at my facebook.

Your work on both videos is killer. I think that Gary Clark lesson is fantastic. The lick that was giving issues is not REALLY close. I would consider it ok, but you could make it sound even better. The other parts are brilliant. YOU ROCK.

AC/DC song starts with some timing issues but then you get into the rhythm feel and play it tight. So you just need some more days, but it's also very close.

I'm really happy with your progress. Congratulations mate.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2016, 07:36 AM
Thanks Gab

Of course I don't mind you putting it on Facebook smile.gif

Thanks for your kind words Gab smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 2 2016, 05:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 2 2016, 07:57 PM
Instructor
Cheers Phil! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2016, 10:06 PM
No worries Gab, I did it in the car tonight on our way back from the pub,my wife was laughing and said it sounded like the Soup Dragon laugh.gif You need to watch the clip below from around 1:00 to 1:30 to know what the Soup Dragon is, it is a character from one of our childhood TV shows smile.gif

AC/DC rhythm: 20 minutes (Total time 320).

I've done a recording of the Highway To Hell track with a little bit of a solo. The intro is a little off, especially the first A chords as I'm having to watch the DAW for when to come in wink.gif
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/hth-with-solo

GC Jr : 20 minutes (Total time 300).

Polishing this and working hard on the triplet lick.

Soloing for me is something that develops over a long long time. Doing more GMC lessons will build up a good vocabulary of licks and riffs. At the moment I am very limited in skill and licks so this can only get better with time and experience which is why I am thinking I can't be too far from a new assignment. I got two 9s so far in the REC for the Gary Clarke Lesson, (For me this is good enough to move on and polish it along the way or revisit later on to see if I can play it better). The ACDC track isn't a million miles away and I've pretty much got coming back in after the chorus very close. So given what I have said, what do you think? I know part of the next assignment will be the chorus chords and putting it all together wink.gif

I think in future, I will always try to learn the original solo BUT, if I struggle to improve at all over a few days I will revert to improvising and incorporate it in with the rhythm practice rather than doing it as a stand alone project. I'm thinking it will give me more time on the GMC lesson that you give me and also allow me to develop my rhythm and improvising in one go. Do you think this is a good move?

I still think the 5 hour "deadline" is very good, it suits my hectic life at the moment without adding to my work related stress. I am more relaxed and have flexibility with it. smile.gif Do you think it is working well for me?

Cheers Gab smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 2 2016, 10:29 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 3 2016, 01:34 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, cool post!

Yeah, definitely it sounds like a Soup Dragon. laugh.gif

I've checked your ac/dc audio and it's close to what I've heard before. The next times, it will be helpful if you put your guitar a bit louder in the mix.

About your questions, I think that both are YES. Playing improvisations over the solo sections is a great idea. You can even create improvisation with some little parts of the solo, or create variations. Everything works. And regarding the new plan structure, it seems to be working so great. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 3 2016, 08:39 PM
Thanks Gab,

I think you missed the first question wink.gif

Soloing for me is something that develops over a long long time. Doing more GMC lessons will build up a good vocabulary of licks and riffs. At the moment I am very limited in skill and licks so this can only get better with time and experience which is why I am thinking I can't be too far from a new assignment. I got two 9s so far in the REC for the Gary Clarke Lesson, (For me this is good enough to move on and polish it along the way or revisit later on to see if I can play it better). The ACDC track isn't a million miles away and I've pretty much got coming back in after the chorus very close. So given what I have said, what do you think? I know part of the next assignment will be the chorus chords and putting it all together

Did you hear the solo on the AC/DC track?

Practise update: (Note: I had a bug in my Excel spreadsheet so the total times were wrong on the last one but these are now correct wink.gif )

AC/DC rhythm: 20 minutes (Total time 265)

Had another go, getting tighter and did improvised solo again. No time to record.

GC Jr : 20 minutes (Total time 350). This has gone to nearly 6 hours now laugh.gif

I prefer the tone on the last take as it was done with a guitar with P90s on. I didn't realise until I listened to it laugh.gif
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/gc-jr-take-3

AC/DC solo: 20 minutes (Total time 190). This total time includes the initial trying to learn the original.

Incorporated with rhythm practise wink.gif

Cheers buddy, glad you like the Clangers video, I loved that show when I was 5 years old smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 4 2016, 10:25 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 4 2016, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

yes, I think that we can move to another lesson since Gary Clark's is now mastered. You can keep it in your diary routine as a warm up if you want. Do you have any lesson in mind?

About the solo for AC/DC, I don't think so, where is it? Please share the link again. I think that we can go for the chorus of the song during the next assignment.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 4 2016, 04:14 PM
Thanks Gab,

About the solo, it's at the end of the rhythm part on the Soundcloud file it comes in at 2:15, I've put it here on its own though too. It's not good at all and shows that I need a lot of work on improvising but I don't see the point in holding up an assignment by trying to get this to a passable standard, it is an ongoing skill development. Do you agree?

My favourite four notes are at 17 seconds in laugh.gif IF YOU WANT TO SKIP THIS SOUNDCLOED FILE I'VE POSTED A VIDEO WITH A DIFFERENT SOLO IN THE UPDATE AT THE END OF THIS PAGE.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/hth-solo

Regarding a new lesson, I will have a look but now you know how many hours things take me to learn you might have an idea of what I should tackle next to get to the next level (3).

For now, I think we should do things properly and I should submit three videos as follows (two have been submitted) so will post a video of the solo tomorrow (November 5th) and update it in this post:

Highway to Hell rhythm, video submitted, was it a pass?

Highway to Hell solo, video yet to be submitted for assessment only.

Gary Clarke Jnr lesson, was it a pass? I'm assuming it was due to REC grades.

So I'm thinking for assignment 6 maybe this. (Only if you agree)

Highway to Hell rhythm polishing and learning the chorus chords for an exam pass. (Video submitted at or before 6 hours practise)

Highway to Hell improvised solo development for assessment only. (Video submitted at or before 6 hours practise)

GMC lesson for an exam pass. (Video submitted at or before 6 hours practise)

I've been looking through and found some that I like but I'm not sure if they are too hard for me at the moment.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Keith-Richards-Style/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Richie...Style-2-Bluesy/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Zeppelin-Black-Riffing/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Dead-Weather-Style/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Jack-White-Style/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/My-Favorite-Zeppelin/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...sound-tutorial/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...r-style-lesson/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...s-style-lesson/

Cheers Gab

UPDATE:

As promised here is the Highway To Hell solo video. I've also put my other two video submissions here to keep it all in order. The solo is terrible but that's what it is. NOTE: This is NOT the same solo as the one above. I went on a bit longer than the actual solo just for the hell of it wink.gif

Cheers Gab.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 5 2016, 08:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 5 2016, 09:12 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

Great stuff! Yes, we can consider everything passed. You've done a killer job with the lesson and also with the song. I also think that your try on the solo is not bad! And that this is a good starting point to make your soloing more rocker. Your phrasing is clear, and everything sounds on pitch and tight. You just need to give it more energy, a rocker energy.

For the following assignment, I think that it's ok to go for polishing the song, improving the solo and working on one of those lessons. I'd like to see you working on JAck White or Dead Weather ones, but feel free to work on one of the others.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 5 2016, 09:24 PM
Thanks Gab,

I appreciate your comments.

How do I give it more energy, a rocker energy?

I added another lesson and noticed that you were reading the post when I added the edit so you may not have seen it. It is THIS which seems to have a lot of things in to improve many techniques and timing all at once.

I will look at the Jack White and Dead Weather lesson though if you think they are best for my improvement.

Cheers Gab smile.gif

UPDATE:

I think the Jack White lesson is slightly more in my level at the moment. The Dead Weather one looks like it has some tricky stuff going on at 0:45 blink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 5 2016, 09:29 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 5 2016, 10:32 PM
Instructor
More aggressive? Check out this bending and vibrato ideas:

https://youtu.be/J08BlfUa9JU?t=1m38s

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 5 2016, 10:59 PM
Thanks Gab,

Wow! That's an hour long. I'll watch that tomorrow as my practise and start working on Monday.

The next assignment isn't just polishing the song, I'll be learning the chorus section too wink.gif

Cheers

Stay tuned smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2016, 03:15 PM
Instructor
Yes! And the chorus, off course! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 7 2016, 09:56 PM
Hello Gab,

Ok tonight I made a start. First though I wanted to get something to Todd for the bootcamp as I think his exercises will help with my picking on those tricky runs that I always struggle with.

I learned the chorus chords but can't change quickly yet.

I listened to the Jack White lesson a few times and created an MP3 of it for the car wink.gif I'm never going to try to learn a new lesson without learning the music in my head first, or at least the first few bars and then build it up. It seems much harder to learn to play the piece when you don't actually know the piece so time spent internalising it is pulled back when you start to learn how to play it. I hope this makes sense smile.gif

I didn't try any ACDC improv.

I will have a full session tomorrow.

I'm still feeling really good about this more flexible system at the moment. Much more relaxed and it is allowing me to fit THIS in smile.gif Even if it means less practise time, I don't have to panic about a deadline wink.gif

Cheers Gab, speak soon.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 46 47 48 49 50 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:46 AM