Best Type Of Guitar For Sweeping/shredding For Small Hands
jimijames
Mar 25 2013, 05:35 AM
GMC:er
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the best type of guitar for someone with small hands. I'm weighing several options for my next purchase and would like to know if a flatter radius and smaller scale length would be easier for things like sweep picking for someone with small hands. Be as detailed as you like. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jouve
Mar 25 2013, 07:36 AM
Learning Roadie
For me Ibanez 550 has the most comfortable neck.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 25 2013, 10:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jimijames @ Mar 25 2013, 04:35 AM) *
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the best type of guitar for someone with small hands. I'm weighing several options for my next purchase and would like to know if a flatter radius and smaller scale length would be easier for things like sweep picking for someone with small hands. Be as detailed as you like. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! cool.gif

Hey mate - If my assumptions are correct, you need to take two things in consideration:

- the hand positions you use - play as you are built smile.gif
- I think that you would be comfortable with a neck that is not that wide and not too thick.. PRS SE maybe? Tell me what sort of a budget do you have?

+Quote Post
jimijames
Mar 26 2013, 01:15 AM
I will have about 1250-1500 USD to spend.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 26 2013, 09:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jimijames @ Mar 26 2013, 12:15 AM) *
I will have about 1250-1500 USD to spend.

Just awesome - here's what I'd do:

- go to your local music store and try any of the PRS SE models - they are a great investment in respect to the price/ quality proportion and the necks fit in the zone that you'd need.
- get a used PRS on ebay - a bit risky because you don't know how the guitar feels in your hand if you haven't tried it already.

Let me know what you think smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 26 2013, 04:50 PM
Learning Roadie
You might be surprised, I have quite small hands and thin necks give me trouble, I get hand cramp really quickly, whilst my Tyler Burning water has a pretty thick '59 neck .845" at the 1st fret .975" at the 12th fret, and is really comfortable

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 26 2013, 05:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
It's really whatever you are comfortable with. I need a medium thickness neck rather than a straight up thin neck.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
jimijames
Mar 26 2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys. I'll keep your suggestions in mind when purchasing a guitar. Thanks! smile.gif

+Quote Post
osiris
Mar 26 2013, 07:07 PM
I have pretty small hands - for me scale length is most important. There's a big difference for me between 24.75s (most Gibsons, Epiphones, ESP Eclipses etc.) and 25.5 (most Fenders, Ibanezes, Jacksons, PRSs, Shecters etc.).

This post has been edited by osiris: Mar 26 2013, 07:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 26 2013, 07:21 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 26 2013, 04:24 AM) *
Just awesome - here's what I'd do:

- go to your local music store and try any of the PRS SE models - they are a great investment in respect to the price/ quality proportion and the necks fit in the zone that you'd need.
- get a used PRS on ebay - a bit risky because you don't know how the guitar feels in your hand if you haven't tried it already.

Let me know what you think smile.gif

Cosmin

This is the best advice as everyone is different.

I myself have owned a ton of guitars, baseball bat necks to razor blade thin necks. 24.75" -to- 26.5" Considering I couldn't sweep back when I owned the baseball bat necks I can use any of them as long as the action isn't to crazy high. It really is a person to person preference. I've traded guitars in that people would kill to own just because it didn't feel like it was "me".

Also I don't think I have that big of hands, roughly a max of 3 inches long.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 27 2013, 09:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Mar 26 2013, 06:21 PM) *

I myself have owned a ton of guitars, baseball bat necks to razor blade thin necks. 24.75" -to- 26.5" Considering I couldn't sweep back when I owned the baseball bat necks I can use any of them as long as the action isn't to crazy high. It really is a person to person preference. I've traded guitars in that people would kill to own just because it didn't feel like it was "me".

Good point man - we are all differently built and thus we should experiment to find out our ultimate means of expression in guitar playing.

I for one thought that the Ibanez JEM was the axe of my dreams as I have mentioned in an earlier thread, but when I realized I was turning into a Steve Vai wannabe, I thought there might be more to guitars than the JEM smile.gif That's when I started trying our everything my friends owned around me - then I fell in love with the PRS..

It's like finding soul mates - you keep bumping into people until you find THAT one smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 27 2013, 09:49 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Mar 26 2013, 06:21 PM) *

I couldn't get on with the neck shape of the Gretsch Power Jet I bought over the internet, that one had to go

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2013, 01:28 PM
Instructor
I agree with Cosmin about PRS SE guitars. The other guitarist in my band has the tremonti model, it's a very good guitars, very comfortable and as a thing neck. Go to a store and try one of those guitars!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 27 2013, 02:55 PM
Instructor
Check out Jazzy Lewis...and tell You have smaller hands than her smile.gif I many situations it's only like looking for excuse. Maybe Cosmin's point is best...maybe You're doing something wrong...or it's just a way a natural difficulty of each technique.

+Quote Post
jimijames
Mar 27 2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I've tried a few regular scale guitars versus short scale guitars and to me the shorter scale does make a difference. The down side is that there aren't too many short scale guitars to choose from. I'm going to keep looking around and I'll let you know what I come up with wink.gif

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 28 2013, 12:45 AM
Since your just looking to find you, I will try to cut off my wasted tons of cash to find my personal extension.

Try:
Gibson Les Paul Studio - Fat neck but a 24.75" scale.
Schecter/ESP-LTD - They all have roughly the same necks and the 25.5" scale. I believe both those guitars are from the same factory.
Dean Dimebag series - Some of them have a weird V like neck which people enjoy or if possible an older one almost feels like a D neck.
PRS SE Paul Allender - Feels a bit like the order Dimebag Deans.
Jackson Dinky or Nino Series - Both are very well loved guitars.
Ibanez S series - Shred neck all the way, the thinnest I've listed so far.

I would say give all those a try, after that maybe repost in here with something like. I liked this guitar for this, that guitar for that. Get a good pro/con going on. After that maybe look at to what kind of bridge you enjoy the most. Because they all have a different feeling.

I personally hate setting up guitars with trems as they take more time, but I love how close they are to the body.

Then next is strings, you may actually like a tighter string because it helps ring out the sweeps since you have to play harder and has less slack. (I'm in this boat atm on my new guitar actually).

As for scale length the picture is a 25.5" vs a 26.5" if you notice there isn't a whole lot of change in them other than around the 4th fret they start to gain a hair bit of size. Which most of the time the 24.75" scales are just a 22 fret guitar instead of 24 fret.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2013, 09:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Mar 27 2013, 11:45 PM) *
Since your just looking to find you, I will try to cut off my wasted tons of cash to find my personal extension.

Try:
Gibson Les Paul Studio - Fat neck but a 24.75" scale.
Schecter/ESP-LTD - They all have roughly the same necks and the 25.5" scale. I believe both those guitars are from the same factory.
Dean Dimebag series - Some of them have a weird V like neck which people enjoy or if possible an older one almost feels like a D neck.
PRS SE Paul Allender - Feels a bit like the order Dimebag Deans.
Jackson Dinky or Nino Series - Both are very well loved guitars.
Ibanez S series - Shred neck all the way, the thinnest I've listed so far.

I would say give all those a try, after that maybe repost in here with something like. I liked this guitar for this, that guitar for that. Get a good pro/con going on. After that maybe look at to what kind of bridge you enjoy the most. Because they all have a different feeling.

I personally hate setting up guitars with trems as they take more time, but I love how close they are to the body.

Then next is strings, you may actually like a tighter string because it helps ring out the sweeps since you have to play harder and has less slack. (I'm in this boat atm on my new guitar actually).

As for scale length the picture is a 25.5" vs a 26.5" if you notice there isn't a whole lot of change in them other than around the 4th fret they start to gain a hair bit of size. Which most of the time the 24.75" scales are just a 22 fret guitar instead of 24 fret.

Very good analysis here, Travis! As for Mr. jimijames - let us know what you tried and what you feel like fits you best!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:46 AM