Few Questions Regarding Being In A Band...
fatb0t
Jan 22 2009, 05:05 PM
GMC:er
Hello infinitely wise GMC community!

I have a few questions I need addressed and I know this is the place for it.

So I'm in two bands; one is a progressive rock kinda band and one is a 'metal' band.

The prog rock band is a keyboardist, bassist/singer, drummer, and me. We practice at a rehearsal studio - I play through an un-miced JCM900 with a 1960a slant 4x12 cab. This band over all is going very well, generally we go into the studio, the bassist/singer brings in chord charts and we blast through songs. The one issue I have with them is they're always playing in keys I'm unaccustomed to jamming in. Like C# or Bb, as far as chords are concerned I'm fine but when we get into solos I feel like a beginner guitarist again, I'm sticking to like three boxes of the pentatonic and that's it! Then the bassist likes switching time signatures so we're going from like 4/4 to 6/8, then on the 6/8 part he's like "Do a solo!"... I get all messed up because of the weird timing.

Whenever I'm practicing I always find myself in Em, Gm, Am. I don't understand why that is... I mean, when I'm home, calm, relaxed, warmed up - I can play in just about any key I want...but there is something about when I'm playing with the band I really wimp out and just play what I know will sound decent. Then when we go into different time signatures everything is out the window, I'm in like single box pentatonic, just praying I stay in key and follow the progression with single notes hahaha.

Also any suggestions on getting SCREAMING sustain for solos through a Marshall head? Pedal suggestions? Settings? Anything would be helpful

Ok, now onto the metal band.

This band I've been trying to get off the ground for like 4 months now, we finally just started to rehearse regularly. It took us like 3 months to get through a single song that I wrote. We can finally get through a song but I must say we sound absolutely putrid. The other guitarist turns his amp up WAYYYYYY too high all the time. I mean like, ear meltingly loud. I wear ear plugs when I play with this band, my ears are STILL ringing after practice even with the ear plugs. We rehearse in a very small studio in a basement. I have a Mesa F-50 and he has a B52 all tube head through a 4x12 cab with a Digitech multieffects unit. I always tell him to turn down but it's pretty futile.His tone is always crushingggggg mine. He's got a digitech RP500 I think, one of those multieffect units, I must say it sounds awesome but I can't seem to compete with his sound. I can't get that metal thumping, crushing, pounding tone outta my pod... I got a Gibson Les Paul standard into my PodXT, or directly into a Mesa F-50.

Any suggestions on how to cut down the volume while remaining the same volume as the extremely freakin' loud drums? Any suggestions on how to cut through the other guitarist? I really feel like we just play wayyyy too loud.

Lots of questions here, please help me smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:29 PM