Rhythm Deaf?
Philippe
Dec 26 2007, 12:50 AM
GMC:er
Most people I know tend to feel the rhythm of a song very naturally. But for me, it's an issue. I really have a hard time to get into the groove. I've been working a lot on this, practicing with metronome or backing tracks. I know how to count most common rhythms such sixteenth notes, triplet, quarter notes and so on. And I can say that I improved a lot. But still, my lack of rhythmic skills shows on my playing and I think it prevents me from improving... it's a bit frustrating.

Is there such thing as being "rhythm deaf". Is that something that can be eventually overcame? or I'm a doomed to be an average musician. Anyway, any tip or specific lesson is welcome.

Philippe

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 26 2007, 01:00 AM
Instructor
Most important thing,how long you've been playing,how many hours per day,
what kind of music etc?
Rhythm is usually built inside each of us,we just need to dig it somehow. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Robin
Dec 26 2007, 01:09 AM
I think that if you listen alot to music every day your rythm will get better. I don't know for sure, but it works for me biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 26 2007, 01:17 AM
Instructor
Listening to music helps a lot, also trying to count or beat the rhythm of the sound with your hands or legs or whatever could help you to get going smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
kahall
Dec 26 2007, 04:10 AM
Learning Roadie
I thought I had some very small sense of rhythm, until I started playing the guitar. You are not alone and I have just stopped worrying about it. I figure once I get more comfortable with the guitar it will be easier to focus on rhythm but I cannot do both....yet. That's why I be long time member at GMC.

This post has been edited by kahall: Dec 26 2007, 04:11 AM

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Dec 26 2007, 04:46 AM
I am just like you, I am getting better but I still have a long way to go before I am able to play more complex rhythms in time with a metronome.

The metronome has a been a good friend to me. tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 26 2007, 05:16 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Me too! I'm going to get the guitar pro software tomorow to help me with timing. Also I won't be changing the batteries anymore in my metranome! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Philippe
Dec 26 2007, 05:27 AM
At least I'm not alone! However, I've been playing guitar for quite a long time. At the beginning, I was just having fun with tabs. I thought I was doing good until I tried to play with a drummer... it didn't work at all! Eventually, I learned how to count rhythm using a metronome and it got much better. But, even now, I still suffer from this inability. If rhythm is an important part of a song, I have a hard time making it sound right: for instance songs like "give it a way" from RHCP, or fast syncopated riffs a la AC/DC, or rhythmic solos. On the other hand, I don't have any problems to play scales with a metronome. In fact, I think it's easier with a metronome than with a backing track. I tend to get confused when the drums get too crazy.

Overall, it's not so bad because i improved a lot. But it's still frustrating because i just feel it's not "in me" and sometimes i wonder if i'll be able to fix this eventually. Besides, many people just don't understand how it can be a problem as it's just second nature for them. Even people with no musical background at all manage to sing with the right timing at karaoke!

Maybe, starting from now, i should only play with a metronome.

+Quote Post
Layzer
Dec 26 2007, 05:41 AM
Hey there Philippe, you use "Give it Away" by RHCP as a rhythmically challenging guitar part. It just takes time to get John's rhythm down in this song. May i recomm laugh.gif end a drum machine or Fender G-Dec?

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 26 2007, 02:08 PM
Instructor
Lot of people have problems with rhythm at start, don't worry - just play and it will all come in time. Rhythm is something you gotta practice like everything else. Tap with your feet when playing, count the timing, work your way from simple 2\2 and 4\4 and go to 3\4 5\4 7\4 then. DO some simple exercises on the guitar when practicing rhythm in order to fully focus on your timing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 26 2007, 03:37 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Philippe @ Dec 26 2007, 05:27 AM) *
In fact, I think it's easier with a metronome than with a backing track. I tend to get confused when the drums get too crazy.

I think that's because you listen too much to the drums instead of feeling the beat. If you listen too much and try to follow there's a risk you'll be off beat, a tad too late or too early.

We had a similar issue in my band where the drummer was not secure with the song and listened too much on the rhythm guitar (which was me). That caused his playing to be a fraction of a second too early which caused him to tend to speed the pace up while I was fighting with my rhythm to keep it slower.
So when he was listening to me (not being aware he's speeding) and I was listening to him trying to slow down I think we got it pretty well but there was no way of feeling the beat so the song sometimes ended up rather flat.

I think what you're looking for is knowing the song and play it with a feeling of security. Surely the drums and the bass are there to support rhythm but still the meaning is that when you play the guitar you're in the flow without having to listen - Just feel.
If your guitar is off the vocalist will not be able to sing properly either.

So I suggest you find backingtracks with drums and bass instead of playing along to the original song, the others guitars will be disturbing you.
And when you play the song don't think - Now I have to listen to the drums so I don't come off pace.
Think too hard and you'll be off guaranteed.
Instead think something like - I'm in charge of the guitars and I know this song inside out.

Then what could throw you off is if you make a lot of errors and start thinking about that. Thinking while playing is wrong, in the middle of a song is not the right place to start thinking about "why couldn't I hit that note, is my technique wrong", "what's next, bridge or chorus"?
Concentrate by all means, you must do that, but don't think. Doesn't work for me at least. laugh.gif

If you have a lot of inaccuracy in your playing start correcting that before you start thinking of mastering any songs. I did such a small thing as altering the way I held the pick and my accuracy increased by a 100%. I used to miss a lot of notes, now I never miss one and my speed increased a lot. And with more confidence as a guitarist I'm a way better musician than I was just a few years ago. Thanks to such a small effort as changing the way I hold my pick and a lot of hard work from my side. Then I found GMC that presented a lot of new opportunities.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:52 PM