Impellitteri - Pedal To The Metal
Owen
Jul 11 2007, 03:40 PM
GMC:er
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...he_Metal_Review

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Jul 10 2009, 03:43 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 05:52 PM
Instructor
Man, you got their worst album to review - unbelievable! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Can i also say my opinion on the review? I introduced them to you just because of the fact that speed metal is not all about shredding. You didn't like that music and now you made a review and commented it like it's total crap!

I, in contrary, like the band, i like the energy they have in their music and i like catchy guitar playing and solos.

Also - Kris stated in another topic that GMC-ers do reviews of things they like - not the one's they DON'T like. I think it would be best if you do a review of the album you LIKE. If you don't like it - just leave it alone!

No offense man, but really from your words the band is all crap....

It came up to be the same it would be if i started doing reviews on doom or death metal bands. All you would read is: crap, crap, crap oh and yes, did i mention crap?? I better don't do that kind of review at all.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 11 2007, 06:02 PM
I came at it with a pretty open mind as to what the whole thing was about, I do listen to fast bands - Symphony X being an example of a similar type of thing.

And whilst I did trounce this album, I have given straight and direct reasons for doing so. Besides, if we only review albums that we like, then that means there is no opinion to contrast with, I'm not for arguing, but there is endless possibility to debate here whereas if everyone posted one sided stuff then there wouldn't be.

Plus, I've highlighted what I don't like about the album so GMC readers with similar perspectives to myself can avoid it if they wish.

I think thats pretty fair.

And for the record, I do also share the opinion that many "Death and Doom" bands are crap, but I will never wholeheartedly label a genre on the basis of one band.

This post has been edited by Owen: Jul 11 2007, 06:04 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 06:05 PM
Instructor
But than again, to GMC-ers that like this music it can be an offense!!

Well, i guess i better not post at all...i like that band, especially the guitar playing! Chris is a monster guitar player!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 11 2007, 06:08 PM
Well they're just going to have to agree to disagree with me! laugh.gif

And yes he is good, but I just dislike the fact that in his being good he can also be dramatically over the top. smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 06:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 11 2007, 07:08 PM) *
Well they're just going to have to agree to disagree with me! laugh.gif

And yes he is good, but I just dislike the fact that in his being good he can also be dramatically over the top. smile.gif

Again, that depends on your taste!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 11 2007, 06:11 PM
I like to think it depends on whether you like your pac man or not wink.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 11 2007, 06:52 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 11 2007, 01:11 PM) *
I like to think it depends on whether you like your pac man or not wink.gif

This is becoming an interesting thread guys smile.gif

With amps and pedals things are fairly cut and dried, with music, everyone has their own opinion as we can see here.

Pavel, how about you post an alternative review of the same album, stating what you see as the strengths etc, that way, people can read both and get a balanced view - just a suggestion smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 11 2007, 07:19 PM
That would be interesting, Pavel's chance for some rebuttals and ripostes. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 09:10 PM
Instructor
No, i won't do anything because apparently only 2 of us heard their music and i don't want to fight here! So i just quit! Back to practicing....

--------------------

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 11 2007, 09:15 PM
Where is a good spot to hear some of their stuff...i'd really like to hear it

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 09:17 PM
Instructor
Visit the topic: "Most hated metal genre...." i put 2 links to my FTP server - 4 songs to download! It's on the first page i think...

--------------------

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 11 2007, 09:20 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 11 2007, 03:17 PM) *
Visit the topic: "Most hated metal genre...." i put 2 links to my FTP server - 4 songs to download! It's on the first page i think...

Perfect! thanks!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 11 2007, 09:49 PM
ok, i'm definitely getting more of their stuff.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 11 2007, 09:59 PM
I have failed hahahaha. biggrin.gif

Ah well, if you can withstand the non-stop christ gibberish you must be remarkably strong willed. xD

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 12 2007, 09:28 AM
Of course people must be allowed to give a bad review on bands or gear or lessons or whatever. Reading reviews that explains either why people liked or disliked something gives a bit of balance to it and I can judge myself if the bad parts are something that's important to me or it might even appeal me.

Just reading the good reviews gives me an idea, but a big part of the picture is missing. That people like their stuff and are thrilled about it comes as no surprise and adds little.

I do agree though that filling the reviews section with "stuff I happen to hate today" is pointless.

Thanks Owen. I liked your review. Fluid and fun. A bit harse but painting a picture smile.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 12 2007, 02:02 PM
I was trying to find something good in the lyrics... but I got a bit annoyed listening to them and it wasn't panning out that way, although I like to think I give a reason for why I dislike something and don't just shout random abuse about it. Thank you smile.gif

This post has been edited by Owen: Jul 12 2007, 02:02 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 12 2007, 02:22 PM
QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 11 2007, 03:59 PM) *
I have failed hahahaha. biggrin.gif

Ah well, if you can withstand the non-stop christ gibberish you must be remarkably strong willed. xD

Just because you don't jesus christ doesn't mean the lyrics are bad.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 12 2007, 02:24 PM
I do listen to music with biblical references in it, I listen to many soul and gospel type music, to clarify my point, I dont like it when band's start preaching their faith at me and I found the lyrics fairly outdated and patronising in this album, thus their low rating.

I am also not atheist, I am agnostic, which means I keep an open mind about whether things are scientific or religious as I feel there is no fundamental proof for anything and I hate it when people attempt to inflict their religious feelings upon me in such ways that it is evident that their is a vein of contempt because I do not share fully their beliefs.

This post has been edited by Owen: Jul 12 2007, 02:34 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:05 AM