Free Comp. Pedal Plug-in
Mertay
Jun 23 2015, 10:45 AM
GMC:er
https://plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_opto_pedal.html

Its actually a simplified version of bx_opto, if you register to kvr forum, automatically it gives a voucher; kvropto and then its free wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 23 2015, 10:49 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Mertay
Jun 23 2015, 02:11 PM
Just played some guitar through it like a pedal, works pretty good. It also works fine at the end of the chain too as a regular compressor.

Compressors are usually the hardest for beginners to understand using so let me know if you guys have any questions.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 23 2015, 09:44 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 23 2015, 01:11 PM) *
Just played some guitar through it like a pedal, works pretty good. It also works fine at the end of the chain too as a regular compressor.

Compressors are usually the hardest for beginners to understand using so let me know if you guys have any questions.

I understand using a compressor on guitar but what about for tracks in a mix?

I never quite understood what to do with them when I add them to a drum track or synth track in a recording so I just never use them rolleyes.gif

Any tips?

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 23 2015, 10:42 PM
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jun 23 2015, 08:44 PM) *
I understand using a compressor on guitar but what about for tracks in a mix?

I never quite understood what to do with them when I add them to a drum track or synth track in a recording so I just never use them rolleyes.gif

Any tips?

In pure (transparent settings, longer attack times on compressor...), they're used to have a steady volume flow only on track that need it. You get that dynamic tone like hitting a piano key very hard but that note doesn't mask other instruments or jump up in the mix unmusically. If used too strong on a single or on an entire mix, the mix will sound dull.

This is a good starting point to experiment with compressors, its better to test on a track inside a mix than testing on an individual track solo. Personally, for this transparent approach I find myself using very few compressors in a mix. Usually the less the better.

But as music progressed they are also used for tone shaping. This "control of dynamics" started to become a sound shaping tool. with extreme settings of compressor (or limiter) like; You can compress a drum buss/group (the entire drum channels combination) very hard to get that typical (big) sustaining rock drum sound.

Attack/release settings are all about how that drum (or any source) will "breathe" so faster attack and release settings can be used. There isn't much setup logic to it, all about ears.

For electronica, these tools plus transient shapers are also used commonly which is a variety of compressors. This was also released today, its a more complicated transient designer and instead of me writing very long its easier to listen examples smile.gif (the first and most popular transient designer is from a company called SPL and it also has a plug-in version)

Basically, (instead of transparent) now you're shaping the track creatively in a way it won't sound the way it was recorded in the first place. Drums are probably the best place to start testing. In studio recording if the music isn't jazzy, drums get the most share of compressing even with non-electronica type music.

Now for this freeware; It's one of those smart designed tools that doesn't have much controls on it but can work on many things. Don't expect much creativity from it but rock music sources drums etc. it can be useful or a quick solution. I hope these info's helped smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 23 2015, 10:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks man! biggrin.gif

I have a lot of experimenting to do.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2015, 01:04 AM
The FREE BUNDLE from Plugin Alliance (all free, no nag screen, no upgrade, just free) is worth a download no matter who you are or what you are working on IMHO smile.gif Here is the link.

https://plugin-alliance.com/en/products/pa_..._bundle_v1.html

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 26 2015, 10:36 PM
Just a reminder bump as some friends are reporting they really liked it smile.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jun 23 2015, 09:48 PM) *
Thanks man! biggrin.gif

I have a lot of experimenting to do.

sorry forgot to reply, let me know if any further questions smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2015, 08:33 AM
Great comp, especially for free!!

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 26 2015, 05:36 PM) *
Just a reminder bump as some friends are reporting they really liked it smile.gif

sorry forgot to reply, let me know if any further questions smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:43 AM