Boss Gt-100-sustain
Sinclair
Nov 8 2014, 10:32 PM
GMC:er
I'm trying to create the Clapton "woman" tone with long sustain using my Boss GT-100. Suggestions? Guitar: Fender Stratocaster, Amp: Fender Blues Junior.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 9 2014, 12:12 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, are you talking about this song?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2014, 08:25 AM
Have you gone through all the presets? I'd say find one that's sorta close and tweak it to taste smile.gif

QUOTE (Sinclair @ Nov 8 2014, 05:32 PM) *
I'm trying to create the Clapton "woman" tone with long sustain using my Boss GT-100. Suggestions? Guitar: Fender Stratocaster, Amp: Fender Blues Junior.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 9 2014, 04:48 PM
The secret is really with the guitar and the tone controls.
EC was mostly using an SG at the time 'Woman Tone' was coined (Creme era) and that tone is a combo of both pkups at different volumes (neck vol higher) and tone controls down though he'd also get it with an LP and 335.
*And, for whatever reason, the neck pickup in ECs SG was quite a bit 'hotter' than the bridge.

Since you're using a Strat, just use the neck pkup and turn the tone control(s) down most of the way.
Also try the neck and middle - keep the neck pkup all the way up and slightly back off the volume of the middle pickup. Again, tone controls down.

Find a 'vintage' or 'plexi' Marshall type of cosm model on the Boss gt-100 and don't use too much gain.
Keep your Blues junior clean. Place a 'fuzz' tone style effect model in front of the amp model (fuzzface or tonebender style). Go easy on the fuzz. In those days guys would crank the output of the fuzz pedals but keep the 'fuzz' control lower.
*That classic tone is achieved by hitting the input stage of the amp hard - in ECs case a 50 watt ,non-master volume Marshall into a 4x12 cabinet with (literally) everything on 10. You may want to try also using a 4x12 cab model.

Also try cranking your Bjr. (great amps, I use one all the time) and just try using a fuzz model from the gt-100. The louder you can get the Bjr., the easier it will be to get the 'woman tone'.
If the fuzz models don't work well then start trying other distortion and overdrive models.

Here's the classic 'Woman Tone'. Go to 1:17 ...

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 9 2014, 05:42 PM

+Quote Post
Sinclair
Nov 10 2014, 11:06 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 9 2014, 04:48 PM) *
The secret is really with the guitar and the tone controls.
EC was mostly using an SG at the time 'Woman Tone' was coined (Creme era) and that tone is a combo of both pkups at different volumes (neck vol higher) and tone controls down though he'd also get it with an LP and 335.
*And, for whatever reason, the neck pickup in ECs SG was quite a bit 'hotter' than the bridge.

Since you're using a Strat, just use the neck pkup and turn the tone control(s) down most of the way.
Also try the neck and middle - keep the neck pkup all the way up and slightly back off the volume of the middle pickup. Again, tone controls down.

Find a 'vintage' or 'plexi' Marshall type of cosm model on the Boss gt-100 and don't use too much gain.
Keep your Blues junior clean. Place a 'fuzz' tone style effect model in front of the amp model (fuzzface or tonebender style). Go easy on the fuzz. In those days guys would crank the output of the fuzz pedals but keep the 'fuzz' control lower.
*That classic tone is achieved by hitting the input stage of the amp hard - in ECs case a 50 watt ,non-master volume Marshall into a 4x12 cabinet with (literally) everything on 10. You may want to try also using a 4x12 cab model.

Also try cranking your Bjr. (great amps, I use one all the time) and just try using a fuzz model from the gt-100. The louder you can get the Bjr., the easier it will be to get the 'woman tone'.
If the fuzz models don't work well then start trying other distortion and overdrive models.

Here's the classic 'Woman Tone'. Go to 1:17 ...

Thank you all for your suggestions!

+Quote Post
Sinclair
Nov 13 2014, 06:37 PM
What about this guitar, Fernandes Retrorocket Pro? Worth buying if I want long sustain?

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/retrorocke...rocket-pro.html

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 14 2014, 03:30 AM
Oh yeah, you'll get as long of sustain as you want with that. More in the Steve Vai vein than EC.
Skip to about 0:36 ...

+Quote Post
Sinclair
Nov 14 2014, 07:55 PM
Who is playing? And the name of the song?

+Quote Post
Sinclair
Nov 15 2014, 11:06 AM
Illusion

+Quote Post
Sinclair
Nov 15 2014, 02:25 PM
I begin to suspect that the pedal "Electro Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer" is god enough for my needs.

+Quote Post
Sinclair
Nov 15 2014, 03:07 PM
.... or the Boss GT-100-option "Sound hold".

+Quote Post
Sinclair
Nov 17 2014, 03:37 PM
The pedal "Boss FB-2 Feedbacker Booster" is the solution.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:39 AM