I Am Absolutely Stuck With These Emg's...can't Get Them To Work
Praetorian
Jan 16 2009, 01:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I had a Kerry King set of EMG 81/85's installed in my Ibanez, and they don't work. I brought the guitar to another guitar shop, and had another tech look at it. He said the wiring is correct, and everything looks right. But, still nothing. I called EMG and they gave me a couple of ideas to look for, but everything looks right. All their suggestions turned out to be correctly installed. Nobody seems to know what the problem is...and I am stuck with a guitar that makes no sound! mad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 16 2009, 01:40 PM
GMC:er
Did you plug the guitar in tongue.gif laugh.gif

No seriously though could it be a cable or amp problem rather than guitar?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 16 2009, 01:47 PM
Aye indeed, did you just try some of the elementary stuff?
I mean try plugging the guitar into like a tuner or whatever to just see if it's actually putting out any signal?
Or perhaps try switching out the battery just to make sure it's that.

Just make a little checklist of every small silly little thing you can think of and control it, besides if the wiring is done right you could easily try another emg pickup in the pup slot now right? The actual pickup is hooked up with a clip is it not, ie very easy to replace?

note the 3 pin connector on the left of the EMG 85 tag.

This post has been edited by Sigfridsson: Jan 16 2009, 01:51 PM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Eclipse I CTM Full Thickness, Ibanez RG470 with EMG81/85 pickups.
Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT XL

+Quote Post
Mandos
Jan 16 2009, 01:49 PM
Do you have a battery? wink.gif

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 16 2009, 02:07 PM
Are all the soldered connections solid? Is in the input jack 100% positively wired correctly? Are any of the wires flip flopped or missed matched? How about 5way or 3 way or 2 way switch (whatever you have) you totally sure that's correct? I always mess up the switch.

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 16 2009, 02:16 PM
Instructor
As said, check the soldering again, there might be a very small problem somewhere in there. Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 16 2009, 02:36 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Uhm, I had a problem similar to this when I changed one of the EMG's in my ESP..
The cable you plug in during installation fits either way, but only works if you put it in the right way!
Was that understandable? biggrin.gif
I just turned it around, plugged it in the other way, put the EMG back and tightened the screws and.. VOILA! smile.gif

The T3 pin cable, you know what I mean right?
If you haven't tried this, give it a shot!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 16 2009, 04:54 PM
I have checked everything...and so have the two techs that looked at it. The pickups are plugged in the right way, the solders look good...I don't know what to think! I am taking it to yet a third tech tomorrow. I will let you know what he says!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 16 2009, 04:58 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 16 2009, 04:54 PM) *
I have checked everything...and so have the two techs that looked at it. The pickups are plugged in the right way, the solders look good...I don't know what to think! I am taking it to yet a third tech tomorrow. I will let you know what he says!

I really hope you get them to work sad.gif
Good luck!!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 16 2009, 07:17 PM
QUOTE (Mandos @ Jan 16 2009, 07:49 AM) *
Do you have a battery? wink.gif

What do you mean a battery?

Just kidding! tongue.gif

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 16 2009, 07:55 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 16 2009, 07:17 PM) *
What do you mean a battery?

Just kidding! tongue.gif

laugh.gif good one! biggrin.gif

If you have a multimeter you should be able to measure the pins and wires on/from the pickups, the pots, the switch to find out if something is dead.
Could be some silly error like the volume pot overheated during soldering and died, the switch doesn't connect, the battery feed is broken or somethingsomethingsomething.
That way you could rule out what died. The problem can be to know exactly what to measure. Especially switches are tricky but the three way one should be no match.
...I picked out my multimeter so see how and what is measurable but the box was empty huh.gif I don't have EMG's either so even if I find it I can't help you with those in particular, but some random measurement should show an impedance.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jan 16 2009, 07:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'd also say use a multimeter, if the thing doesn't give any output, you might have a dead Pup?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 16 2009, 09:50 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jan 16 2009, 01:58 PM) *
I'd also say use a multimeter, if the thing doesn't give any output, you might have a dead Pup?

That's what I was thinking...but they would BOTH have to be dead. I just don't see that as a possibility.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Jan 16 2009, 10:26 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jan 16 2009, 07:58 PM) *

We don't like dead puppies now do we?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jan 17 2009, 10:56 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Nopz, and both dead is quite weird indeed, but not impossible. Have you checked with the mulimeter?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 17 2009, 01:48 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jan 17 2009, 04:56 AM) *
Nopz, and both dead is quite weird indeed, but not impossible. Have you checked with the mulimeter?

No idea how to do that. I am electrically idiotic. I am bringing it to a third tech today. I will let you know what he said!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:50 AM