Suicide Rates Climbing In My Country
Todd Simpson
May 19 2019, 01:23 AM
GMC:er
For various reasons, the suicide rates in my home country (United States) are at their highest number in half a century. Those most impacted by this are white, middle aged, men who are killing themselves in greater number than any other group. Matter of fact, white men as a group, continue to kill themselves in greater and greater numbers each year. I didn't know this was happening til I saw this article. Our society is as divided as it's been since the Civil War in many ways. Middle aged white men have been hit hard by the shifting global economy. Too many skills and not enough technical education has caused massive job displacement and the result seems to be a steady increase in suicide. This is a sobering statistic. have you guys heard about this?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db330.htm
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 19 2019, 03:21 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 19 2019, 01:23 AM) *
For various reasons, the suicide rates in my home country (United States) are at their highest number in half a century. Those most impacted by this are white, middle aged, men who are killing themselves in greater number than any other group. Matter of fact, white men as a group, continue to kill themselves in greater and greater numbers each year. I didn't know this was happening til I saw this article. Our society is as divided as it's been since the Civil War in many ways. Middle aged white men have been hit hard by the shifting global economy. Too many skills and not enough technical education has caused massive job displacement and the result seems to be a steady increase in suicide. This is a sobering statistic. have you guys heard about this?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db330.htm
Attached Image

I think led by if your a white man in america , you are deemed scum of the earth, everything bad that has happened is caused by white man and since society doesn't let them talk about anything ( no outlet for relieving stress ) , what do you think is going to happen

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 19 2019, 10:10 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Suicide rates among teenagers are increasing here in the UK sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 19 2019, 01:57 PM
Classification by race comes a bit complicated to understand for those who hasn't lived in USA. I have and believe I do understand whats meant but most may not. For example, Turkey is pretty much as race-complicated as USA but aside 1-2 things we usually identify the geographic area, culture or income.

Anyway, I remember reading someone point that its actually most connected to "lack of emotional-intelligence", things like stress/money/tragic events etc. are only triggers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 19 2019, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I've heard and read that a lot lately (last couple of years). Another side note is that most of them are overdosing on prescription meds or shooting themselves with their own guns.

I chalk it up to the inability to pay insane medical bills as you age as well as believing that your era is over (and ain't comin back) which I don't actually think is true. That sort ties into what Mertay mentioned as "lack of emotional intelligence".

Maybe it's regional, but as a middle aged white guy ... I don't really feel it. Having said that, starting about two years ago my wife now makes twice my salary laugh.gif - she also has two master's degrees, so ...
But I'm not gonna shoot myself. I'm gonna relax.
Stay in school kids.

And the world keeps spinning round ...

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 19 2019, 02:09 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
May 19 2019, 05:40 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm writing about this phenomenon in my thesis and did some research on that. Suicides are among top 3 causes of death in Asia, countries like Korea or Japan and it's most common for people between 15 and 44 years old, mostly because of high expectations, pressure, stress and little to none social interactions. It's sad but in high-populated areas the competition for everything - from grades at school to requirements for well-paid jobs is immense... On rare occasions people who don't meet their family's expectations are even expelled from their homes because their parents are ashamed, etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 20 2019, 05:49 AM
I'm a white male and I talk about whatever I like? I'm not sure what you are talking about? What can't you talk about?

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 18 2019, 10:21 PM) *
I think led by if your a white man in america , you are deemed scum of the earth, everything bad that has happened is caused by white man and since society doesn't let them talk about anything ( no outlet for relieving stress ) , what do you think is going to happen

The Asian countries have even more suicide than we do. We have been catching up recently. That's what got me concerned. We have not seen a rate like this in 50 years.
QUOTE (Adam M @ May 19 2019, 12:40 PM) *
I'm writing about this phenomenon in my thesis and did some research on that. Suicides are among top 3 causes of death in Asia, countries like Korea or Japan and it's most common for people between 15 and 44 years old, mostly because of high expectations, pressure, stress and little to none social interactions. It's sad but in high-populated areas the competition for everything - from grades at school to requirements for well-paid jobs is immense... On rare occasions people who don't meet their family's expectations are even expelled from their homes because their parents are ashamed, etc.

+Quote Post
SpiritCrusher
May 20 2019, 10:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm very interested in civilizations and what drives people to act like they do. The problem with living in this time is that we are lacking any meaning. Back in the ancient days the meaning was to survive by being strong and reproducing. Afterwards there was religion, which people believed in to the fullest extent and lived their life according to, but now people live in this meaningless void where pleasure is the main drive for most people, which leads to serious issues. It's sad how this has become, but what people in this day and age need to do is to find a drive and a paradigm, which is truest to their own nature and avoid endless hedonistic behavior. A good read for this is "Ride the Tiger" by Julius Evola.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 20 2019, 11:31 PM
That does seem to be a serious issue in the demographic with increasing suicides here (white middle aged men). Many of them feel displaced by the global economy and many can't find work. Without a job, it's easy to lose ones identity as that is the first thing people as you here "So what do you do for a living", if you lost your job because they replaced you with a robot or sent your job over seas, it can ben very rough for folks. Saw a documentary on this just this past weekend. Very sad.
QUOTE (SpiritCrusher @ May 20 2019, 05:13 PM) *
I'm very interested in civilizations and what drives people to act like they do. The problem with living in this time is that we are lacking any meaning. Back in the ancient days the meaning was to survive by being strong and reproducing. Afterwards there was religion, which people believed in to the fullest extent and lived their life according to, but now people live in this meaningless void where pleasure is the main drive for most people, which leads to serious issues. It's sad how this has become, but what people in this day and age need to do is to find a drive and a paradigm, which is truest to their own nature and avoid endless hedonistic behavior. A good read for this is "Ride the Tiger" by Julius Evola.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 26 2019, 04:12 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 20 2019, 05:49 AM) *
I'm a white male and I talk about whatever I like? I'm not sure what you are talking about? What can't you talk about?

Lets just say if you were a therapist ,lets just say nothing
I tell you how I see things and you dismiss my point of view, proving my point , not even asking me why I might view things that way , just dismissing my white mans view

If I want to talk about having A secure border , I am racist and don't like brown people
I can't talk about abortion because I don't have a uterus
I can't even say I have problems because I can't have problems with all my white man privilege

Don't pretend you don't know society as a whole does not treat me like what I have just described

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2019, 04:02 AM
BINGO!!! About HALF of them are SHOOTING THEMSELVES WITH THEIR OWN GUNS. I'd say anyone that puts a gun to their head has some level of mental illness. The mentally well do not shoot themselves typically. The common factors seem to be
*White*MIddle Aged*Gun Owner*Without a college degree
That last one struck me. It seems that one single factor, just having a college degree, pulls a white middle aged man out of the highest risk category even if he has all the other factors. Just having a degree, in anything, greatly reduces the risk that a middle aged white male gun owner will shoot himself.

It seems we need to start a degre program to focus on this segment in order to reduce our suicide rates. Ignorance, it seems, is not bliss.

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 19 2019, 09:07 AM) *
Yeah, I've heard and read that a lot lately (last couple of years). Another side note is that most of them are overdosing on prescription meds or shooting themselves with their own guns.

I chalk it up to the inability to pay insane medical bills as you age as well as believing that your era is over (and ain't comin back) which I don't actually think is true. That sort ties into what Mertay mentioned as "lack of emotional intelligence".

Maybe it's regional, but as a middle aged white guy ... I don't really feel it. Having said that, starting about two years ago my wife now makes twice my salary laugh.gif - she also has two master's degrees, so ...
But I'm not gonna shoot myself. I'm gonna relax.
Stay in school kids.

And the world keeps spinning round ...

Perhaps you have been going to a really really bad therapist?

"if I were a therapist, I'd dismiss your point out of hand, and prove your point (what is your point btw?) and why are you assuming a therapist would dismiss your point of view? In my experience, therapists work very hard to understand a patients viewpoint.

You can be a hardcore racist and still get very good therapy if you just find a decent therapist. Not saying you are a hard core racist, just that being one does not prevent one from finding a good therapist.

The views you are talking about, being "xenophobic"/also called "Border Security", "Male and Pro Life" also called "Men telling women what to do with their reproductive systems", "Race based insecurity", also called "Fear of brown people or racism", are all issues that many middle aged white men are struggling with in our current day. I do see what you mean about not being able to feel like you can voice these views without being censured. Many people find such views patently offensive. However, there are millions of white middle aged men who listen to Rush Limbaugh, and Fox News, and visit web sites like STORMFRONT etc. who have found brotherhood among people who share those views. It's America, your birthright is to have any view you want to have and the internet provides the ability to talk with millions of people who share your views whatever they may be. If you feel you can't share your views, I don't think you have been looking very hard for a place to call home in cyberspace. No matter what your views, there are places where millions of people are like minded and you would be welcomed with open arms. So I don't see why so many people seem to feel cut off?
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 25 2019, 11:12 PM) *
Lets just say if you were a therapist ,lets just say nothing
I tell you how I see things and you dismiss my point of view, proving my point , not even asking me why I might view things that way , just dismissing my white mans view

If I want to talk about having A secure border , I am racist and don't like brown people
I can't talk about abortion because I don't have a uterus
I can't even say I have problems because I can't have problems with all my white man privilege

Don't pretend you don't know society as a whole does not treat me like what I have just described

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 27 2019, 03:54 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:18 AM