Master The Dorian Mode Collab - Comments, finally!
David Wallimann
Jul 17 2009, 01:41 PM
Instructor
Master the Dorian mode - 11 participants

Here are the personal comments related to your takes on the Master the Dorian collab.
Great job everyone, you all had a unique and personal approach over this, very nicely done!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jul 17 2009, 01:47 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I was talking and here it is laugh.gif Thanks for the advices David, I'm going on a one-week vacation so I won't be here, if you post another collab, please auto-sign me in if possible tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
sted
Jul 17 2009, 02:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey David, thanks for the comments, I feel ive really benefited from these modal collabs (And certain other modes lessons on YT wink.gif )and hope that you will consider doing more, I always play by the seat of my pants and see what comes out, I never rehearse or write anything as my goal is always inner expression. I really wish you lived in the UK mate as I would love some one on one lessons as your ideas and style are very close to the styles I aspire to.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Jul 17 2009, 02:17 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hehe, almost the same comment here, now I know what I really need to improve laugh.gif smile.gif

I think I know exactly where you mean, 0:25, right? There I kind of float away from everything I played before. But after that lick or licks I kind of get back into feel?

Thanks again for these collabs and comments David! Looking forward to the following, if you plan any smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jul 17 2009, 02:31 PM
GMC:er
David, thanks so much for taking time from your busy summer to get back around to these comments; they're so helpful and very encouraging. I'm sorry the delay sounded so much like the Aeolian collab's; it's a different unit that takes each echo farther out of phase, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that I used very similar mix/feedback levels.

Really, your encouragement almost had me blushing here.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 17 2009, 05:45 PM
Instructor
Glad these are useful folks!
I really meant what I said, all the takes were unique and very well done!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jul 17 2009, 09:26 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Uber cool and useful comments David, thanks for them very much! Waiting was more than worth:) I actually play pentatonic scale and licks in other collabs, and because of that tried to not use them in this one:P

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Jul 18 2009, 02:07 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Thanks for the compliments on my tone as well smile.gif And no, I don't have a JEM, I am rocking on a Jackson RR24 wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jul 18 2009, 06:01 AM
GMC:er
Thanks for the comments David. I know my playing is stiff, and I forget to even try to put in the vibrato. I do look for opportunities to bend. I definitely need more pentatonic licks, I only have a couple so far. I really like the Dorian scale and I seem to gravitate to it.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jul 18 2009, 07:13 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks for the comments and feedback David!
Two quesitons:
1. I've been focusing on AP for quite a while now. That's probably one reason I tend to have long scale like runs in my recordings lately. What's a good way to use or think about using AP in a solo without sounding like I'm just running scales?
2. I think one key weakness of my take is that it probably didn't sound so much "A Dorian" as it did "Key of G" (same notes you know). What's a good way to bring out the modality of a tune?

Thanks again for this collab. Great backing track. Very interesting with that short break near the beginning and the subtle rhtyhmic changes.

This post has been edited by JamesT: Jul 18 2009, 07:14 AM

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jul 18 2009, 04:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks a lot David for your valuable comments, will certainly try to work further on the outside scale possibilities more and more in the near future smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Jul 20 2009, 10:19 AM
Learning Roadie
Hiya David thanks for the comments and ideas to improve my playing.

I'm intrigued about your comments about using chromatic notes to approach notes that are in the scale. I was wondering is there a specific lesson, examples or theory you may have on this?

I look forward to the next collab smile.gif

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:11 AM