Ghost Rats Cover
warrioroflight
Sep 17 2020, 10:20 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Guys,

i wantet to share my cover version of the song "Rats" by the mighty band "GHOST".

I made everything from scratch... first listened to the song, the chords, the arrangement and so on... and tryed to reproduce it in my studio, coming to as close as possible to the sound of the original record.

what do you guys think about it?

https://youtu.be/34DHbuVLkhI

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my band: IN LEGEND

And our YouTube Channel

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2020, 02:16 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

Let me say that doing this type of work is a killer training many aspects of your musicianship. You are training your ear, your guitar technique (rhythm, strumming, timing, muting, riffing, lead techniques), your production skills (programming, recording, mixing) and you are learning how to arrange and compose a song.

Everything sounds excellent here. Your rhythm is tight, everything is in tune, and your guitar tone is very convincing. Drums are well programmed and your mix is really good! I only think that the bass could sound better. Here you can learn 4 cool tips to improve it:

Congrats on this amazing work friend. Keep these covers coming!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2020, 04:31 PM
GMC:er
Congrats on making such a killer track!! The playing is very good and the mix sounds tight and clean. Bravo on buildng it up from scratch as well. That's not easy but it's worth doing. I am with gabe in saying maybe a bit more punch on the bass guitar but that should be a straight forward fix. I'd love to see you in action if you have a web cam or even a cell phone can, it would make a great performance video as well. Sometimes, folks record the video after the fact, which is just fine. It doesn't have to be recorded at the same time of the audio recording. Since it's you doing all the guitars/bass, you could split it in to four corners like a zoom video and do a band jam with just you! Just a though smile.gif

P.S. Are you doing a mastering chain on your master bus in reaper? It's a good way to finalize things. It's easy to turn it off during tracking/mixing and then back on for final export.

+Quote Post
warrioroflight
Sep 17 2020, 08:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thank you for your nice feedback!!!
Yeah, the bass mixing or the lowend is a problem caused by first, of course, the fact that i am still learning... and the second thing are my Studio speakers... i´ve found out recently, that they are not the best for lowend stuff... so i got the advice to buy a new, better pair of studio speakers or use good headphones... and thats what i will do... i will use headphones for lowend / bass mixing.

Thanks Todd also for the video, but i use Cubase Pro... my masterchain is mostly just a special limiter/Maximizer (from HOFA) which brings the mix to a louder level... i´m trying to do as much as i can "in the mix" so the mastering is mostly only one light EQ, one compressor and the Limiter/maximizer...

During the weekend i´ll search for another song that i can record and will post here again^^

cheerz guys

--------------------
Check out my band: IN LEGEND

And our YouTube Channel

Thanks

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 18 2020, 02:38 PM
Instructor
I also use Cubase Pro, great DAW! There are lots of youtube tutorials to mix using stock plug ins. Dedicating some minutes every day to learn new tricks could be a great idea:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...bass+cubase+pro

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:43 AM