The New Blackheart Amps!, Gotta check these out!
Stratman58
Feb 3 2008, 10:07 PM
GMC:er
So I discovered these things in the March 2008 article of GuitarWorld. A soundcheck feature was presented on the CD, and I could believe my ears (seemed like 'just another sweet tube amp on the market'), however, when I looked up the price, I COULD NOT believe my eyes!

It's a 5watt tube amp with a simple EQ and volume knob, and it comes both in head and cabinet, or combo.
The head alone is only $150! And the cabinet with a 12" blackheart eminence I believe isn't much more!

check it out....

MusiciansFriend link

I believe it is made by Crate. The tone is capable of some nice vintage cleans and a range of classic rock crunches (The guy in guitarworld pretty much nails Angus' tone!) but is not capable of a metal distortion. A pedal would be required for that.

I'm interested in possibly investing in one, I'm just curious as to how my PodXT would work infront of it. Someone be the guinea pig and buy one...tell us how this thing behaves biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
USAMAN
Feb 3 2008, 10:12 PM
You can never go wrong with cranked el84 tube (s) they sing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 3 2008, 10:54 PM
Instructor
Looks wonderful!! smile.gif
5 tube watts is really nice piece of gear,add pedal and jam. wink.gif
And price is amazing tho!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 4 2008, 09:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I don't think Crate is a very good company..(I hear it that way though)..But that amp looks cute and may work cool ... wink.gif
If you buy it , make a review for others wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 4 2008, 11:24 PM
Instructor
Interesting practice amp. I like it. The quality however is not certain... wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Feb 5 2008, 04:31 AM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Feb 3 2008, 09:07 PM) *
I'm interested in possibly investing in one, I'm just curious as to how my PodXT would work infront of it. Someone be the guinea pig and buy one...tell us how this thing behaves biggrin.gif

I've been looking at little tube amps for a while. I'm big on the Orange Tiny Terror but at $500 for the head plus a cabinet, it's out of my range.

There's a lot of stuff out there about the Epiphone Valve Jr including some interesting mods to it. It's a tad cheaper than the Blackheart and a lot simpler (no EQ).

The Blackheart really took my attention when I noticed it. Small, seems to sound pretty good, cheap, and tube tasty. It also has 4/8/16ohm outputs. Would be interesting to hear this thing on a 4x12.

It hasn't been around long, so quality and reliability are a bit unknown yet. But at $250 for the head/cab I'll give it a try. I have some extra cash coming soon and will probably check it out. I just have to figure out how to record it.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Melvyn
Feb 5 2008, 11:52 AM
I love the look of the Blackheart amps, shame theres no way to get them in the UK, im looking for a 30-50 watt amp xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 5 2008, 01:08 PM
Doesn't seem to be available in Sweden sad.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Alucard
Feb 5 2008, 02:53 PM
After seeing the price of the head + cab in Guitar World, I was a little skeptical on how they would preform. But after hearing them on the CD that was included, I am extremely impressed! Very loud for a 5 watt.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Feb 6 2008, 07:59 AM
Welp, after reading more and more about this amp, and watching a few youtubers, I decided to take the plunge and bought one. Supposedly it's perfect for blues and jazz, which suits me well. Also read that it works wonders with Boss distortion pedals, incase I ever need to plug in my metal zone for some Pantera biggrin.gif

Because this amp is soo new, I really have no clue as to what to expect...
as soon as it gets delivered, I'll be sure to do a review with some mic'd recordings smile.gif

This post has been edited by Stratman58: Feb 6 2008, 08:00 AM

--------------------

Gear:
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 6 2008, 09:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Feb 6 2008, 07:59 AM) *
Welp, after reading more and more about this amp, and watching a few youtubers, I decided to take the plunge and bought one. Supposedly it's perfect for blues and jazz, which suits me well. Also read that it works wonders with Boss distortion pedals, incase I ever need to plug in my metal zone for some Pantera biggrin.gif

Because this amp is soo new, I really have no clue as to what to expect...
as soon as it gets delivered, I'll be sure to do a review with some mic'd recordings smile.gif

Congrats,let us know how it works and write a review!!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 6 2008, 09:33 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Take a look at the pictures then look up the Epiphone Jr and look at those pictures. It's literary the same amp! Probably comes from the same manufacturer in China. Only the Blackheart added EQ and 3/5W switch.

By the specifications it seems great! The 5/3W switch is clever though I'd rather have it ~5/0.5W

If I had to choose between the Orange Tiny Terror and this I'd go for this Blackheart model. Neat with the EQ smile.gif
I must be one of only a few in this world that's not impressed with the tiny Terror rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 6 2008, 03:10 PM
I'm searching Sweden to try to find someone who sells it.
A friend of mine is in USA now but I can't get in touch with him!!! Why can't everyone understand the importance of being online everywere and all the time sad.gif

And BTW.
How would I go about to get a 120V/60Hz amp to run on 230V/50Hz?

This post has been edited by blindwillie: Feb 6 2008, 03:12 PM

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 6 2008, 04:17 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Feb 6 2008, 03:10 PM) *
And BTW.
How would I go about to get a 120V/60Hz amp to run on 230V/50Hz?

If you look in muris Trax thread he explains how he did it with his Mesa.

My suggestion is that you cut off one of the pins that goes into the wall socket so you end up with only one, that should leave you with half the voltage I assume, the only problem is that it's down to 30Hz instead of 50 but twisting the cable would make the magnetic waves affect eachother while twisting 2/3'rds would get you to 45 Hz, you'd have to be more accurate if you want be exact but since I don't even know what the Hz does I'm sure it's not important.

...I think wink.gif
Perhaps Clas Ohlson have transformers? - Man _kan_ göra så, men det är inte rätt /Lorry

This post has been edited by MickeM: Feb 6 2008, 04:18 PM

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Feb 6 2008, 04:31 PM
Cool man, sounds like a fun amp you can play around the house with, I'm looking forward to the review.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Feb 6 2008, 07:36 PM
Instructor
It looks amazing!! I want one for me!!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 6 2008, 07:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
looks realy cool!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 6 2008, 07:54 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 6 2008, 04:17 PM) *
If you look in muris Trax thread he explains how he did it with his Mesa.

My suggestion is that you cut off one of the pins that goes into the wall socket so you end up with only one, that should leave you with half the voltage I assume, the only problem is that it's down to 30Hz instead of 50 but twisting the cable would make the magnetic waves affect eachother while twisting 2/3'rds would get you to 45 Hz, you'd have to be more accurate if you want be exact but since I don't even know what the Hz does I'm sure it's not important.

...I think wink.gif
Perhaps Clas Ohlson have transformers? - Man _kan_ göra så, men det är inte rätt /Lorry

Mahaha! Det är jag, precis.

I'll look into it and check up Muris thread, thanks.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Feb 7 2008, 12:52 AM
Here's a Youtube that explores the amp, cosmetically and the guts...nothing too extravagant, but a recording is also played during the slideshow to give a taste of the amps tonality smile.gif
A few pedals were used and the video creator shares his insight wink.gif

--------------------

Gear:
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 8 2008, 10:45 AM
They seem to be releasing more amps:
Killer Ant
Handsome Devil

Oh how do I get hold of these!?!

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:12 PM