Wondering...
Rated Htr
Aug 24 2008, 11:13 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Back when I was 12, I had a voleyball injury on my 3rd left hand finger, but it never hurted again...Today I was playing guitar, and trying to develop my speed when I was doing hand sync exercises and I notice...When I don't use any pattern using the 3rd finger, it goes really well, but when I use it, I decrease my speed...Can it be that injury (which I garantee was big, nothing that small, muscle injury) or is it probably that that finger isn't quite developped yet? And if it was the injury or something else, is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Filipe

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 24 2008, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
You said that you dont use your 3 finger when you play am i right?

If thats the case you need to try and play with the finger and develope the speed from slower tempos first

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Aug 24 2008, 11:25 PM
Experienced Rock Star
no, I do...it's just, I was doing hand sync exercises, and I noticed that in all of them, I had to slow down when I did like the 3rd and the 4th finger....

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 24 2008, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
well maybe its the injury that slows you down but i dont really know. Maybe you just need the strengthen the finger and work up the speed slow. I also feel whn i do those excercices tha i need to slowdown but that is just when doing it with 3 and 4 finger and that is normal i think.

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 24 2008, 11:32 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is normal. I don't think its the injury..3rd finger (ring finger) is the most undeveloped finger in humans hands..So its always hard to get control over it..Just practice slowly and you will gain strength in it (and independence).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 24 2008, 11:32 PM
GMC:er
I have kind of similar trouble. dry.gif

I broke my left ring finger playing basketball several years ago.
Though this is perhaps my fastest finger, I sometimes feel some pain on it if I play for a long time (specially bending too much)...

This post has been edited by Gus: Aug 24 2008, 11:35 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Aug 24 2008, 11:34 PM
Experienced Rock Star
That's why I love guitar, my left hand is a chaos...My ring finger was cut when I was young, so there's a bit of it's "head" missing and than, there's hte injury on the 3rd finger, but if that's the case, what exercises should I try and do? any suggestions?

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Aug 25 2008, 01:25 AM
Instructor
Don't you worry, it's normal! Your ring finger it's a lazy guy...when you use the ring with the index maybe it work nice, but when you use it with medium or pinky it shows his complete and incredible laziness...keep on with the synchronization exercise, and practice with constancy, you'll see the improvements. Be care, don't practice through pain!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Aug 25 2008, 01:44 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Ok, will do, I feel much more reasured...Thanks everyone smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2008, 01:27 PM
Instructor
Well do you feel any kind of pain? It is possible that because of your youth injury you haven't used this finger a lot, and it may not be developed as other fingers. but don't worry, if you don't feel pain or anything, it's OK, just need to practice it more, that's all smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Aug 25 2008, 02:44 PM
Instructor
I agree with the others, I don't think it is the injury, but lets say the injury does make it harder for you, it really doesn't matter, when there is a will to do something, you will achieve your goals. Look at Django Reindhart or other guitarists that even play with their feet, that just shows everything is possible. How long have you been playing?

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Aug 25 2008, 07:48 PM
Experienced Rock Star
@Ivan
No, I feel some wierd numbness sometimes, but that's about it...

@Jose
I've been playing eletric guitar for two years, if you count with acoustic, it's three years

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Aug 26 2008, 07:24 AM
Instructor
As long as you aren't in any pain i wouldnt worry to much.

The injury could be at fault here though, if it is the case you have to work extra hard to strengthen it, or find a way around it.

About 10 years ago i had a hand injury, and the tendons between my ring and pinky were messed up. Even now there are some fingerings i can't use certain patterns because they won't play nice together. I compensate by using my middle finger for transitions in this case.

Its not a big deal, i would say as long as you aren't in pain you should just continue to try and strengthen that finger. If you find yourself feeling pain i would suggest having it looked at, and at the very least try to change up your technique so you aren't doing permanent damage.

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 26 2008, 09:57 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also agree with the others. As long as there is no pain involved everything seems to be rather fine for me, keep practicing and work on the speed for this finger, it will come in time.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Aug 26 2008, 02:01 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Thanks guys smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 26 2008, 04:16 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Aug 25 2008, 12:13 AM) *
Back when I was 12, I had a voleyball injury on my 3rd left hand finger, but it never hurted again...Today I was playing guitar, and trying to develop my speed when I was doing hand sync exercises and I notice...When I don't use any pattern using the 3rd finger, it goes really well, but when I use it, I decrease my speed...Can it be that injury (which I garantee was big, nothing that small, muscle injury) or is it probably that that finger isn't quite developped yet? And if it was the injury or something else, is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Filipe

Nope, you just want it to be that.

When you notice such indifferences, you gotta train that weak point seperately!

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Aug 26 2008, 05:13 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (kjutte @ Aug 26 2008, 04:16 PM) *
Nope, you just want it to be that.

When you notice such indifferences, you gotta train that weak point seperately!

Guess you must be right...

Back to trainning smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:36 PM