2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I´m A Roboter
Tolek
Apr 1 2009, 07:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey everybody!
I´m looking for some hints on how to be more relaxed. It sounds weird, I know. laugh.gif But everybody says that I´m stiff and this causes at school that I get less marks in sports or in music (I have to conduct for a test)... Yesterday was my test at conduction and I got 48/60 which isn´t bad at all. My teachers said that I was extremely donnish, also when I play guitar. I could have get more points when I was more relaxed. In sports where I had to do some acrobatics, I got 50/60 and the teachers told me that I was donnish, again. They also added that I´m very talented at this (lol biggrin.gif ) and that I need to be more relaxed in order to get better results.

So, what can I do to cool down, to be more relaxed? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Apr 1 2009, 08:37 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Rule 1) Stop listening to cannibal corpse:D

(srsly, I need it too... my psychology teacher told me, that I have severe tension inside me, which I need to relieve.. so we are pretty much on same boat:))

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Apr 1 2009, 08:39 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 1 2009, 08:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
Don't smoke weed! It does not make you relax more!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Apr 1 2009, 08:43 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 1 2009, 09:39 PM) *

Not that I want to open this topic on GMC ( I am open to talk about it everywhere tho), but this is strictly subjective opinion.. Formerly I wanted to tell him this, as an adivce, but since GMC has strict policy, regarding some things I decided to leave it unsaid.

Truth be told, It helped me wink.gif I am not advertising, advicing, leading you to something. Just stating the fact, that its highly subjective. The same applies for alcohol, ciggarettes, coffee and anything else - I cant stand alcohol at all for example.. (If you by chance wish to continue this debate, PM's would be better place;) )

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Apr 1 2009, 08:47 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 1 2009, 08:43 PM
GMC:er
Ahahahah you guys are funny laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Do it many times and you will not worry again, and don`t think about that you can fail or something smile.gif actually i think this is a big topic, many of us suffer from this.

+Quote Post
Skalde
Apr 1 2009, 08:52 PM
Learning Roadie
autogenous training is very useful. I do it every day - it helps you to stay relaxed and concentrated (even without weed) happy.gif

This post has been edited by Skalde: Apr 1 2009, 08:53 PM

+Quote Post
Tolek
Apr 1 2009, 08:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Apr 1 2009, 09:37 PM) *
Rule 1) Stop listening to cannibal corpse:D

(srsly, I need it too... my psychology teacher told me, that I have severe tension inside me, which I need to relieve.. so we are pretty much on same boat:))

Hehe. smile.gif I even don´t know who they are! laugh.gif

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 1 2009, 09:39 PM) *

Hey, I´m not a junkie! laugh.gif And I´m never going to start with this. wink.gif

QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Apr 1 2009, 09:43 PM) *
Not that I want to open this topic on GMC ( I am open to talk about it everywhere tho), but this is strictly subjective opinion.. Formerly I wanted to tell him this, as an adivce, but since GMC has strict policy, regarding some things I decided to leave it unsaid.

Truth be told, It helped me wink.gif I am not advertising, advicing, leading you to something. Just stating the fact, that its highly subjective. The same applies for alcohol, ciggarettes, coffee and anything else - I cant stand alcohol at all for example.. (If you by chance wish to continue this debate, PM's would be better place;) )

Nothing for me. wink.gif

QUOTE (AlexLion @ Apr 1 2009, 09:43 PM) *
Ahahahah you guys are funny laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Do it many times and you will not worry again, and don`t think about that you can fail or something smile.gif actually i think this is a big topic, many of us suffer from this.

I´m not saying that I´m worried that I´ll fail or something. I only have a motoric problem. My movements and behaviour are pretty robotic. Even in general. :S

QUOTE (Skalde @ Apr 1 2009, 09:52 PM) *
autogenous training is very useful. I do it every day - it helps you to stay relaxed and concentrated (even without weed) happy.gif

Details please. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Apr 1 2009, 09:00 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Tolek @ Apr 1 2009, 09:54 PM) *
Nothing for me. wink.gif

It highly depends on type of person.... I tried sooo many things in my life. One which I can advice to you - and is perfectly legal:D:D - is jogging. Just take your iPod (or Zune or W/E) and go running somewhere.. preferably some non-crowded place.. and run, until you are a bit sweaty. Stretch properly after this!

Do it every morning and evening and you will be feeling not only very light (your leg muscles will grow and you will put out some fat - if you have some, ofc:) ) but also the tension and stress is released.

Doesnt work for all tho. Depends on who you are:)

IMPORTANT
Oh and that autogenous training.. isnt it something like self hypnosis or just alfa waves? that reminded me of something. Tolek, take some better quality headphones, visit this website http://kl3z.com/data/hey.html and play the Alfa waves song (ALFAW/FRACTALS). Put headphones on, try to caml your mind and watch the video. Really concentrate on what you see and what you hear. Soon you will find yourself in total tranquility... it also supports learning ability so students and aspiring guitar heroes, ENJOY smile.gif

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Apr 1 2009, 09:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skalde
Apr 1 2009, 09:01 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Tolek @ Apr 1 2009, 09:54 PM) *
Details please. biggrin.gif

Do the"robotic movements" affect your guitar playing?

At first you should check out "Progressive
Muscle Relaxation" it will help you to control your muscles much better. I thing it is a good way to get rid of your problem
http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

If you have stress in general(school, parents, whatever) you can check out "Autogenic training"
It takes some time to notive the effects but once you are there, you will never miss it again biggrin.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogenic_training

+Quote Post
Tolek
Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Apr 1 2009, 10:00 PM) *
It highly depends on type of person.... I tried sooo many things in my life. One which I can advice to you - and is perfectly legal:D:D - is jogging. Just take your iPod (or Zune or W/E) and go running somewhere.. preferably some non-crowded place.. and run, until you are a bit sweaty. Stretch properly after this!

Do it every morning and evening and you will be feeling not only very light (your leg muscles will grow and you will put out some fat - if you have some, ofc:) ) but also the tension and stress is released.

Doesnt work for all tho. Depends on who you are:)

IMPORTANT
Oh and that autogenous training.. isnt it something like self hypnosis or just alfa waves? that reminded me of something. Tolek, take some better quality headphones, visit this website http://kl3z.com/data/hey.html and play the Alfa waves song (ALFAW/FRACTALS). Put headphones on, try to caml your mind and watch the video. Really concentrate on what you see and what you hear. Soon you will find yourself in total tranquility... it also supports learning ability so students and aspiring guitar heroes, ENJOY smile.gif

That´s a good suggestion. I´ll try to have a walk every morning and evenening. smile.gif

I just watched the Brain Stimulation video and nearly fell asleep. laugh.gif I interrupted it at 16 mins because it became boring and I don´t think that such things work for me. I actually never feel relaxed. I can´t relax. huh.gif Except when I have to sleep, but sometimes even then I´m very tight.

QUOTE (Skalde @ Apr 1 2009, 10:01 PM) *
Do the"robotic movements" affect your guitar playing?

At first you should check out "Progressive
Muscle Relaxation" it will help you to control your muscles much better. I thing it is a good way to get rid of your problem
http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

If you have stress in general(school, parents, whatever) you can check out "Autogenic training"
It takes some time to notive the effects but once you are there, you will never miss it again biggrin.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogenic_training

No, I don´t think that it affect my playing. And I don´t think that it´s a muscle problem. I just want to be correct and relaxed and those robotic movements are the results.

Thanks for your input. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Tolek: Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Apr 1 2009, 09:40 PM
I do a sort of self-created "meditation" whenever I get too stressed. I didn't learn this in some class or anything, it's just something I do when I need to relax. Usually involves a quiet room, and me sitting on the couch and letting my mind wander. I might also describe it as "turning my brain off".....I really don't know how to explain it, and I'm not really sure what to call it "meditation" seems to be the best word. Other times a beer or two gets me really relaxed wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Apr 1 2009, 09:41 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Apr 1 2009, 09:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ctodd @ Apr 1 2009, 10:40 PM) *
I do a sort of self-created "meditation" whenever I get too stressed. I didn't learn this in some class or anything, it's just something I do when I need to relax. Usually involves a quiet room, and me sitting on the couch and letting my mind wander. I might also describe it as "turning my brain off".....I really don't know how to explain it, and I'm not really sure what to call it "meditation" seems to be the best word. Other times a beer or two gets me really relaxed wink.gif

That´s what I´m doing in bed, often. However, I nearly always think about guitar and my heart is beating faster and faster. laugh.gif Then I have to stop, otherwise I can´t fall asleep or I have to take my guitar and play something.

+Quote Post
chast
Apr 1 2009, 10:06 PM
Learning Roadie
It may sound stupid, but try to breathe through the stomache before events like these "tests" you mentioned.
If you do it for some minutes, it is really relaxing, give it a try wink.gif

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Tolek
Apr 1 2009, 10:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (chast @ Apr 1 2009, 11:06 PM) *
It may sound stupid, but try to breathe through the stomache before events like these "tests" you mentioned.

Good suggestion. smile.gif I already tried this in order to disable my toddling. It worked a bit. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Apr 1 2009, 10:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
This is a very popular technique used when treating anxiety disorders. When you get nervous and begin to panic, you can go into an instinctive behaviour which involves breathing more rapidly and using a smaller portion of your lungs. This is programmed into our brains to deal with the "flight or fight" situations. We need more oxygen running through out bodies to help prevent muscle fatigue. Unfortunately exams, work, social stress, drugs etc can also bring about this instinctive behaviour when we DON'T need the extra oxygen. This can lead to that panic sensation and a number of other physical symptoms including the speed up of your metabolism, feeling feint, cold sweats, nasuea etc.

It's very interesting I think smile.gif

But the technique basically involves as you breath in, try to push your stomach out. Allowing your lungs to open up fully. Do this slowly, to combat the faster breathing.

In regards to drugs, I know how strict the GMC policies are and rightly so. A word of warning however, I have had an axniety disorder that has severly disrupted my life for many years due to previously mentioned drugs. I am only just beginning to recover and advice you to take note that although it doesn't have serious negative effects on everyone, it CAN do.

As with every decision in life, understand what you're doing and the risks involved, before you do it.

QUOTE (chast @ Apr 1 2009, 10:06 PM) *

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Apr 1 2009, 11:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Apr 1 2009, 11:46 PM) *
This is a very popular technique used when treating anxiety disorders. When you get nervous and begin to panic, you can go into an instinctive behaviour which involves breathing more rapidly and using a smaller portion of your lungs. This is programmed into our brains to deal with the "flight or fight" situations. We need more oxygen running through out bodies to help prevent muscle fatigue. Unfortunately exams, work, social stress, drugs etc can also bring about this instinctive behaviour when we DON'T need the extra oxygen. This can lead to that panic sensation and a number of other physical symptoms including the speed up of your metabolism, feeling feint, cold sweats, nasuea etc.

It's very interesting I think smile.gif

But the technique basically involves as you breath in, try to push your stomach out. Allowing your lungs to open up fully. Do this slowly, to combat the faster breathing.

In regards to drugs, I know how strict the GMC policies are and rightly so. A word of warning however, I have had an axniety disorder that has severly disrupted my life for many years due to previously mentioned drugs. I am only just beginning to recover and advice you to take note that although it doesn't have serious negative effects on everyone, it CAN do.

As with every decision in life, understand what you're doing and the risks involved, before you do it.

Interesting things here. I see that breathing is extremely important. I´ll try to use that, but I think that doesn´t have to do with my movements. I just act like an roboter: first this and than this and my moves aren´t fluid, they seem very planned and strict. I have to be more airy, easygoing.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Apr 2 2009, 12:27 AM
Instructor
There is couple of things I can recommend.

1) Find a girlfriend smile.gif

2) Go out with your friends enjoy life, make jokes laugh - it will free your mind and body for sure.

3) Get a hobby that puts you in relaxing mood. Maybe thats watching movies or going swimming I don't know - but try it out you cant go wrong.

Just don't take any drugs, I would never advise you that even if it was last resort !

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 2 2009, 06:05 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Apr 2 2009, 02:27 AM) *
There is couple of things I can recommend.

1) Find a girlfriend smile.gif

2) Go out with your friends enjoy life, make jokes laugh - it will free your mind and body for sure.

3) Get a hobby that puts you in relaxing mood. Maybe thats watching movies or going swimming I don't know - but try it out you cant go wrong.

Just don't take any drugs, I would never advise you that even if it was last resort !

That was really nice a piece of advice Pedja smile.gif

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 2 2009, 02:26 PM
Instructor
Although the girlfriend thing could have some side effets and stress you out even more! :-)

Something that might work as it did for me:
close your eyes, use a desk lamp to lighten your face. That is if you live somewhere with not enough sun. It helps!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Skalde
Apr 2 2009, 03:24 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Apr 2 2009, 03:26 PM) *
Something that might work as it did for me:
close your eyes, use a desk lamp to lighten your face. That is if you live somewhere with not enough sun. It helps!

Good suggestion, but be sure to use a lamp with a spectrum close to daylight.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:31 PM