Obituary- Cause Of Death
VinceG
Nov 26 2007, 08:52 AM
GMC:er

Band: Obituary
Album: Cause Of Death
Genre: Death Metal
Origin: Brandon FL USA
Year Of Release: September 19, 1990 (Remastered as a double disc in 2004 by RoadRunner with there debut album Slowly We Rot.)

Album Review: 95%

Ahh Obituary how your simpleness approach to death metal becomes such a huge hit to Metalheads around the globe. Coming from Florida, these death metalers formed a band not to be reckoned with. They became a phenomena in the scene with there hard hitting first album Slowly We Rot. A year later, coming up with Cause Of Death which is the album that every fan of death metal has to have in there collection. This is the album that put Obituary to the map with other Floridian Death Metal such as Death, Morbid Angel, and Atheist.

Obituary's sound is very simple. Come up with the most brutal riffs, play it slow but hard, and kick it up a notch with double bass that articulates the tremolo picking of Peres and Murphy. Solo's differ from fast and slow depending on the mood of the song and its really executed nicely.

Vocals are some of the most disturbing death vox I have ever heard. John Tardy has a very evil, dead sounding to his growls and it complements the music very nicely. Kinda sounds like Tardy is being tortured or impaled or something. It makes the whole album dark and sick(in a good way). Lyrics are about gore, mutilation, and slowly dying- you know standard death metal lyrics. What did you expect from an album called Cause Of Death? Flowers and love?

Cause Of Death is a great album. This set the standard for a death metal record. Its simple but it hits you like a brick. Want the true essence of death metal back in the day? Get this album along with Leprosy, Piece of Time, and Atlars Of Madness.

Some songs from the album.
Chopped In Half- http://youtube.com/watch?v=BH_AMsNtWw8
Infected- http://youtube.com/watch?v=6GxwsWnO1KE
Dying- http://youtube.com/watch?v=KxoWVlt8UUg&feature=related

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by VinceG: Nov 26 2007, 06:11 PM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 26 2007, 12:03 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
YEAH!!

I love obituary, they come from my area cool.gif

Great album, monsterous riffs, and just a legendary album. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 26 2007, 06:13 PM
Yea I know, Florida has so much history when it comes to Death Metal. Gahh I hate you!

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 26 2007, 07:55 PM
cool.gif

we even got DEATH!!

Ive been in the same neighborhood where chuck grew up, i felt like a lowly servant entering the court of a king laugh.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 26 2007, 08:01 PM
Ahh Chuck. I was watching a few clips of him when he was hanging out with his family having a bbq in the backyard. Down to earth kinda guy. Who knew a guy like that wrote some of the more gore drenched death metal album. I like his philosophy side to music though.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 26 2007, 08:14 PM
Yeah, his later stuff had alot more intelligent lyrics in it, really spoke to me.

God i love chuck.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:12 PM