7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Video Games Anyone?, Xbox? PS3? Wii? Name your poison!
Todd Simpson
Jun 28 2016, 10:41 PM
GMC:er
The new add on for STAR WARS BATTLE FRONT is out today for some and soon for others. Anyone else playiing battlefront?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 13 2016, 10:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I got the ps4 VR today. Put on VR Worlds and literally sat on the menu system for about 10 minutes! It was that awesome biggrin.gif
Ive never played any VR type stuff before so it was all a new experience. I 'played' the ocean decent first and it was just brilliant. you get lowered under water in a shark cage and when the cage first drops down you totally get a sense of movement, its really cool. The general immersion is great, when the shark attacks the cage its genuinely freaky. Cant wait to get some horror games, I can see me doing myself some serious psychological damage with those biggrin.gif
Really impressed with the system so far.

*** EDIT ****
stayed up far too late last night playing it rolleyes.gif all the games where you are in a cockpit or car are awesome. Drive club, Eve: Valkyrie, Scavenger's Odyssey - all great smile.gif the environment in Wayward sky was quite jaw dropping.
so it might not be occulus or vive but its damn good imo.

Its the future biggrin.gif

also, if you could plug in a real guitar and play a type of rockband VR game..... I would never leave the house.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by bleez: Oct 14 2016, 07:15 AM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2016, 06:50 PM
I hope to add the VR to my PS4 as well smile.gif The games are looking just killer. Can't wait to dive in to VR smile.gif I think OCCULUS had a great idea, but it seems the major vendors are going to put them out of business now that everyone from SONY to MICROSOFT to CELL PHONE companies have their own VR products. Not to mention, "wearables" are getting smaller and smaller to the point where VR glasses that connect to the smart phone and provide "enhanced reality" will eventually look no different than regular prescription glasses. Brave new world eh? smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 13 2016, 05:19 PM) *
I got the ps4 VR today. Put on VR Worlds and literally sat on the menu system for about 10 minutes! It was that awesome biggrin.gif
Ive never played any VR type stuff before so it was all a new experience. I 'played' the ocean decent first and it was just brilliant. you get lowered under water in a shark cage and when the cage first drops down you totally get a sense of movement, its really cool. The general immersion is great, when the shark attacks the cage its genuinely freaky. Cant wait to get some horror games, I can see me doing myself some serious psychological damage with those biggrin.gif
Really impressed with the system so far.

*** EDIT ****
stayed up far too late last night playing it rolleyes.gif all the games where you are in a cockpit or car are awesome. Drive club, Eve: Valkyrie, Scavenger's Odyssey - all great smile.gif the environment in Wayward sky was quite jaw dropping.
so it might not be occulus or vive but its damn good imo.

Its the future biggrin.gif

also, if you could plug in a real guitar and play a type of rockband VR game..... I would never leave the house.

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 30 2016, 07:13 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ive never played anything so immersive. I played for about 5 hours the other day and literally had no concept of the time. I put the headset on in the day-lit afternoon and took it off to find myself sitting in darkness.
I played the kitchen demo of the new resident evil and it properly scared the crap outta me. I may rethink my initial plan to get all the horror games ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2016, 08:42 PM
I really am looking forward to it smile.gif The ehanched reality demo from Mickysoft was really spiff too. I think we are gonna see more and more of this. That silly pokemon game was one of the first "mixed immersion" games that combined the gamera and virtual world and it's being adapted for adverts and reviews so you point your phone cam at a restaurant and see it's rating right away.

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 30 2016, 02:13 PM) *
Ive never played anything so immersive. I played for about 5 hours the other day and literally had no concept of the time. I put the headset on in the day-lit afternoon and took it off to find myself sitting in darkness.
I played the kitchen demo of the new resident evil and it properly scared the crap outta me. I may rethink my initial plan to get all the horror games ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 3 2016, 05:32 PM
I am all about that old school D&D Isometric Games, can't tell how many times i'v beaten Baldur's Gate now tongue.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Nov 3 2016, 06:48 PM
Learning Roadie
My actual oassion go to.... the commodore 128, my first computer
I also have buyed a commodore 64, floppy drives, tons of floppy, tool to transfer floppy image onto real one.....

I m back 30 years sooner

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 3 2016, 09:27 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I still play street fighter 2 on my SNES, totally love that game but this VR stuff ohmy.gif It's just something special. Resident evil VR will probably kill me, literally
If some type of Rock-band comes out on VR I may never leave the house again. !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2016, 04:19 AM
I've put it off as long as I can stand it but I'm finally gonna try
BATTLEFIELD 1
(But nope!! Rented through redbo and got this)
Attached Image

and
TITANFALL 2
So one out of two aint bad sad.gif Been waiting half an hour for TITAN FALL 2 just to load!!!! Uggh!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2016, 06:30 AM
So I played the full campaign mode on TITAN FALL 2 and it was fun smile.gif But kinda short. About 10 hours or so on regular difficulty. They re-used some maps in multiplayer which I thought was kinda meh sad.gif Some new cool maps though. Lots of new modes.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 9 2016, 12:10 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 6 2016, 05:30 AM) *
So I played the full campaign mode on TITAN FALL 2 and it was fun smile.gif But kinda short. About 10 hours or so on regular difficulty. They re-used some maps in multiplayer which I thought was kinda meh sad.gif Some new cool maps though. Lots of new modes.

Am i the only one that feels, that somehow the new games are getting kinda "dumb down", lazy perhaps?
Is just, a lot of stuff I see is basically the same recycled idea with fancier clothes?

Needless to say there is always a good gem, from time to time.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 9 2016, 12:11 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2016, 01:18 AM
Sadly, I have to agree with ya!! The "Big Releases" are often the next CALL OF DUTY or clone of such.
The "UNREAL ENGINE" is the core of a shocking number of modern games. It's a pre built "core" with game bits ready to use. Some are used so often that certain maps in various titles feel very similar, because they are very similar smile.gif

I keep having "game deja vu" seeing sets/scenes/maps that are obviously based on the same template. Here is a link to a very long list of games that use the unreal engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unrea...Unreal_Engine_4

If you have never heard of UNREAL, it's just a first person shooter game that was a competitor with QUAKE way back in the day smile.gif Both games revolved around "DEATH MATCH" essentially, kill as many as possible on the other side to win. The guts of unreal became so good, they started licensing it out to other game companies so that folks wouldn't have to re invent the wheel each time they wanted to make the next call of duty/clone.

Sadly, Titan Fall 2 falls in the GAME DEJA VU area for me as they even use old level maps with slight modifications and maybe a new game type (e.g. capture the flag in space).

It makes sense in that sequels to games that made money are safer bets than entirely original games that may or may not make money, just like the Movie Industry! smile.gif Xmen 12, Star Trek 15, etc. (remake/reboot/blah blah)

There are some original game experiences to be found in the quickly growing world of VR and hopefully that opens things up a bit for developers and players smile.gif I hope it leads to new types of games and not just call of duty VR. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 8 2016, 07:10 PM) *
Am i the only one that feels, that somehow the new games are getting kinda "dumb down", lazy perhaps?
Is just, a lot of stuff I see is basically the same recycled idea with fancier clothes?

Needless to say there is always a good gem, from time to time.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 9 2016, 01:30 AM
Todd, I actually am a big UT99 and UT2003 fan biggrin.gif . They are probably my all time fps games along with Serious Sam. Still played them nowadays.
One of my favorite activities is to get random albums from band i'v never listened before and just play mindlessly UT. I can get into this peace of mind state, which is pretty relaxing tongue.gif

There are some original game experiences to be found in the quickly growing world of VR and hopefully that opens things up a bit for developers and players smile.gif I hope it leads to new types of games and not just call of duty VR. smile.gif

I've never tried the VR's Oculus Rift kinda thing, but i am really looking forward to see how it evolves in the next couple of years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Nov 9 2016, 09:41 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 9 2016, 01:18 AM) *
Sadly, I have to agree with ya!! The "Big Releases" are often the next CALL OF DUTY or clone of such.
The "UNREAL ENGINE" is the core of a shocking number of modern games. It's a pre built "core" with game bits ready to use. Some are used so often that certain maps in various titles feel very similar, because they are very similar smile.gif

While you have a point there, it's not the engine itself that's at fault. I'm a game developer myself, so I have first-hand experience with that kind of stuff. An engine can give you a lot of stuff for free but that "stuff" is usually not gameplay-related but technological in nature, e.g. rendering, culling or multi-core algorithms.

The real problem is that publishers take less and less risks anymore. For those who don't know, there is a difference between a studio and a publisher. The studio carries out all the implementation and technical work while the publisher does all the marketing and sale work. And usually the publisher is the one financing the whole game as well. So in most cases there is a hard dependency on the publisher. No publisher, no money. And in many cases the publisher has a huge say in what is being made and what not. I'm in the comfortable position that our studio has a lot of liberty in what we do. Sadly, that's not the case for many studios out there.

Now the problem is that there are some types of games that obviously sold very well and publishers try to recreate that scenario by doing something similar. True innovation is still out there but you have to look for indie developers (that means a developer without a publisher) more and more to get something truly new. But it's out there you just have to be willing to look beyond the big names. Just take a look at the Steam Early Access list and you will find many promising games in there.

Just my 2ct smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2016, 12:25 PM
I used to do the same thing smile.gif Put on some new music and just play unreal tournament for hours on end. Almost a meditative zen state once you get into the groove smile.gif I haven't played in quite a while though. Still one of the best ways to death match imho smile.gif The simplicity of it is great. Just the purity of the xperience imho. No nukes, etc.

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 8 2016, 08:30 PM) *
Todd, I actually am a big UT99 and UT2003 fan biggrin.gif . They are probably my all time fps games along with Serious Sam. Still played them nowadays.
One of my favorite activities is to get random albums from band i'v never listened before and just play mindlessly UT. I can get into this peace of mind state, which is pretty relaxing tongue.gif

I've never tried the VR's Oculus Rift kinda thing, but i am really looking forward to see how it evolves in the next couple of years.

Well said!! Great insight btw. The same ills that have claimed the MOVIE industry seem to have claimed the game industry as well. Seeking safety, as a result of pressure from piracy, in part, folks are taking less chances and making more sequels to games/movies. So much so that folks who have been playing games/watching movies for a while, get serious deja vu quite often.

I'm currently playing CALL OF DUTY INFINITE WARFARE (Speaking of endless call of duty games) and it does combine all the usual bits you'd expect. Grapple wire, first person shooter, fighter pilot game, stealth, big cut scenes, etc. I must say I did enjoy it though smile.gif But just as a rental. I don't plan on buying it. It's one game that uses the HAVOK engine instead of UNREAL smile.gif

BTW do you mind sharing any games you've worked on?

Todd

QUOTE (Wyverex @ Nov 9 2016, 04:41 AM) *
While you have a point there, it's not the engine itself that's at fault. I'm a game developer myself, so I have first-hand experience with that kind of stuff. An engine can give you a lot of stuff for free but that "stuff" is usually not gameplay-related but technological in nature, e.g. rendering, culling or multi-core algorithms.

The real problem is that publishers take less and less risks anymore. For those who don't know, there is a difference between a studio and a publisher. The studio carries out all the implementation and technical work while the publisher does all the marketing and sale work. And usually the publisher is the one financing the whole game as well. So in most cases there is a hard dependency on the publisher. No publisher, no money. And in many cases the publisher has a huge say in what is being made and what not. I'm in the comfortable position that our studio has a lot of liberty in what we do. Sadly, that's not the case for many studios out there.

Now the problem is that there are some types of games that obviously sold very well and publishers try to recreate that scenario by doing something similar. True innovation is still out there but you have to look for indie developers (that means a developer without a publisher) more and more to get something truly new. But it's out there you just have to be willing to look beyond the big names. Just take a look at the Steam Early Access list and you will find many promising games in there.

Just my 2ct smile.gif

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Nov 10 2016, 01:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 10 2016, 12:25 PM) *
BTW do you mind sharing any games you've worked on?

Sure, although I can't name any of the large titles you might expect wink.gif
The largest title I was a part of was Sacred 3 and that was anything but successful. This is actually a story where you can see how much a publisher can destroy a game. The Sacred series was always a well-known German Action-RPG series and had quite a dedicated following. When the original publisher went bankrupt they sold the license and it was acquired by Deep Silver. We (keen games) won the pitch to make the game (and the pitch was actually pretty close to what the series was all about). (A pitch is a prototype that shows what you as a studio can do and then the publisher picks the studio that made the best pitch. Kind of like a casting).

After that it all went downhill. Deep Silver was afraid to get into the ring with Diablo 3 which was due to come out pretty close to when we were scheduled to so they just took the name Sacred and wanted to make something completely different out of it. And they did. Much to our frustration and that of all the deceived players out there. One single event sums it all up pretty well: When the Avengers movie came out, the publisher took us all to the cinema and told us: "That's how we want the game to be". Just compare that decision with what Sacred stood for and that's all I need to say.
We certainly made mistakes as well, but basically the publisher overruled most of our decisions.

But enough dwelling in the past smile.gif
After that our company split up and I joined the branch concentrating on mobile games. Our current games are Royal Revolt II and Olympus Rising (which is a pretty similar game but in another setting). Especially Royal Revolt was (and still is) pretty successful. At least we have way more freedom to do what we want now and that's a pretty important thing.

Ah btw: we're called keenflare but that's most likely not a name any of you have ever heard. But that's fine smile.gif

This post has been edited by Wyverex: Nov 10 2016, 01:07 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Nov 10 2016, 01:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi

Last evening, i have spend hours to transfert Commodore 64 disk image to a real floppy.

I use an old laptop (compaq presario 2100) with a 30 Gb HD loaded of floppy dumps, and all the Tosec collection for Commodore 64, Commdore 128 and Vic 20.

It boot on Msdos only, i use Star commander and a XM1541 // to iec cable for transfers.

It's a real pleasure to listen the cbm 1541 working, the sound of the floppy spining and the head buzzing !!

I must wait some days before receive my Commodore 128 & a tested Commodore 64 motherboard.

I can't wait before playing Turrican, Creatures, Zak mac crakken etc on a REAL C64 !!!!!

[attachment=45483:IMG_2016...9_233411.jpg]

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2016, 06:50 PM
Very cool that you are developing mobile games smile.gif IMHO that is where the market is heading. The "Console Era" seems to have reached a plateu in terms of growth while mobile is growing like a weed. Mobile has the potential to faaaaaar eclipse the numbers of console gaming. In simple terms, nearly everyone has a mobile phone or will have one soon, while just not that many folks (compared on a global scale) have a console or the cash to spend on one, which also needs a television and probably an internet connection/wifi. The economy of scale has limits on consoles that don't really exist on the mobile platforms imho. Mobile games can be freemium (free to get then pay to get add ons). Which is a production model that seems to work well for mobile games smile.gif The same thing of course is happening in consoles too, but it requires the console.

The current thing is PS4 and XBOX trying to release incremental versions of their previous consoles. If you want 4k gaming, you buy the .5 ps4, but then you need a 4k TV as well smile.gif I for one, will not be purchasing a 4k tv or 4k gaming console any time soon. To those who do, God Bless smile.gif

QUOTE (Wyverex @ Nov 10 2016, 08:07 AM) *
The largest title I was a part of was Sacred 3 and that was anything but successful. This is actually a story where you can see how much a publisher can destroy a game. The Sacred series was always a well-known German Action-RPG series and had quit.ising (which is a pretty similar game but in another setting). Especially Royal Revolt was (and still is) pretty successful. At least we have way more freedom to do what we want now and that's a pretty important thing.

Ah btw: we're called keenflare but that's most likely not a name any of you have ever heard. But that's fine smile.gif

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Nov 11 2016, 07:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Wyverex @ Nov 10 2016, 08:07 AM) *
The largest title I was a part of was Sacred 3 and that was anything but successful. This is actually a story where you can see how much a publisher can destroy a game. The Sacred series was always a well-known German Action-RPG series and had quite a dedicated following. When the original publisher went bankrupt they sold the license and it was acquired by Deep Silver. We (keen games) won the pitch to make the game (and the pitch was actually pretty close to what the series was all about). (A pitch is a prototype that shows what you as a studio can do and then the publisher picks the studio that made the best pitch. Kind of like a casting).

After that it all went downhill. Deep Silver was afraid to get into the ring with Diablo 3 which was due to come out pretty close to when we were scheduled to so they just took the name Sacred and wanted to make something completely different out of it. And they did. Much to our frustration and that of all the deceived players out there. One single event sums it all up pretty well: When the Avengers movie came out, the publisher took us all to the cinema and told us: "That's how we want the game to be". Just compare that decision with what Sacred stood for and that's all I need to say.
We certainly made mistakes as well, but basically the publisher overruled most of our decisions.

But enough dwelling in the past smile.gif
After that our company split up and I joined the branch concentrating on mobile games. Our current games are Royal Revolt II and Olympus Rising (which is a pretty similar game but in another setting). Especially Royal Revolt was (and still is) pretty successful. At least we have way more freedom to do what we want now and that's a pretty important thing.

That's awesome Wyverex! I dabble in making games, and love to play them when I get the time. Today I have the day off from work (and the family is out), so after my guitar filled morning, I'm about to sit down to some Far Cry 4. That's very interesting that you're a fulltime game developer. Here is my last game, it took me 3 years (WAY TOO LONG) to make, but it's 100% my work done in my free time. It was definitely too ambitious, I'm going to check out Royal Revolt now.

Code of Arms

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Nov 11 2016, 07:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2016, 07:21 PM
I didn't know you were a developer? Very cool that you made your own game!!! Congrats!!!! That's a huge feat to accomplish on your own. I'll check it out!

While we are talking about games, I found this indie game very disturbing. I still don't know why I find it as disturbing as i do since it's not really that crazy, maybe it's the juxtaposition of the Sailor Moon gal in the bottom corner against the violence and occult symbology in the game. Quite a contrast.

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 11 2016, 02:03 PM) *
That's awesome Wyverex! I dabble in making games, and love to play them when I get the time. Today I have the day off from work (and the family is out), so after my guitar filled morning, I'm about to sit down to some Far Cry 4. That's very interesting that you're a fulltime game developer. Here is my last game, it took me 3 years (WAY TOO LONG) to make, but it's 100% my work done in my free time. It was definitely too ambitious, I'm going to check out Royal Revolt now.

Code of Arms

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 06:47 AM