Moving Across The Neck Among Scale Boxes
JohnMathew
Feb 28 2016, 01:29 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

I have been practicing scales (Just diatonic open/closed shapes and pentatonic for Am) and I would liketo know how do you pratice the shifting of boxes along the neck. I mean, I can move verticaly in a scale box but it is really difficult for me to move horizontally using seconds, fourths, etc... along the neck across differnet scale positions.

Is there any way to improve this hability and any way to test the progress?

P.D: One idea that has come to mind is for example moving through the boxes taking tonics as a reference but for me it still is pretty difficult to move around using this trick.

Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JohnMathew: Feb 28 2016, 01:31 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Socky42
Mar 8 2016, 09:16 AM
QUOTE (Georgia Rocker @ Mar 5 2016, 09:34 PM) *
If you look at the dark circles they are the boxes to memorize...There just 1 stringset of the pentatonic patterns horizontally. I put open circles on some of the lower notes to have a reference where the patterns lay....can you see the same pattern on the top string set as the bottom stingset, just a different box shifted over. Same as the middle string set.

[attachment=44185:pentatonic_box.jpg]

I posted something very similar to this a while back, maybe it'll help some of you too!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52237

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Georgia Rocker
Mar 9 2016, 01:04 AM
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Mar 8 2016, 03:16 AM) *
I posted something very similar to this a while back, maybe it'll help some of you too!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52237

Yes thats the same way I learned but it was with the pentatonic 2 notes per string. It helped me master the pentatonic easy and to never get lost on the neck...I always know where am and whichever direction I want to move. I havent applied it to the major or minor scale but tried once but couldn't get the 2 note per string to work out...I didn't think about 3 notes per string..I'll have to try this and get the minor scale memorized this way...Thanks

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:50 AM