Is It Important To Practice Plugged In?
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 11 2008, 09:30 PM
GMC:er
I always practice guitar without being plugged into an amp. Is it fine doing it this way or is it generally more effective to the practicing if you're plugged in?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
coffeeman
Jan 11 2008, 09:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well I do practice a lot unplugged, but more important than that I think is to practice with no effects , no distortion in fact, so u can hear a clean sound of what your playing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 11 2008, 09:37 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
if it sounds good clean or unplugged it`ll sound ten times better plugged in with effects imo. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Jan 11 2008, 09:37 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 11 2008, 09:37 PM
GMC:er
I think it will be more effective to practice while plugged in, because you need to mute more when playing with distortion, and if you practice only without plugging in when the time comes for you to preform, you'll have noises coming from lack of experience in muting, and plus you'll be overwhelmed by the amplification!

Anyways I think you should allways practice in the setting's you want to record/preform, I hope I helped smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 11 2008, 09:38 PM
Instructor
I totally agree with Iluha! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jan 11 2008, 09:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Smells @ Jan 11 2008, 09:37 PM) *
if it sounds good clean or unplugged it`ll sound ten times better plugged in with effects imo. smile.gif

mmm I disagree because when you add some distortion you can find some noises that aren't important when you played unplugged. It's really important to mute all the string that you are no playing, cos it adds lot of noise. Ah, and don't forget undesired harmonics when you do the left hand muting...

But if it sounds good clean you'll have done great part of the work wink.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 11 2008, 09:54 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Jan 11 2008, 08:44 PM) *
But if it sounds good clean you'll have done great part of the work wink.gif

yes sorry I didnt really elaborate and I agree with you and Pavel, but to sit with your guitar unplugged and play is fine, its not going to harm the practice especially if its just exercises.

I agree that when practicing certain things yes you should play with your desired sound, for the reasons above smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jan 11 2008, 10:31 PM
Instructor
well, both ways are ok, but it's important that we don't put some efects like delay or lot of reverb to sound as natural as posible.
Now I use a 30€ amp to practice !!! hehe, you can imagine who I feel when I take my rack !!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:30 PM