Alternate Picking, Something Muris said that changed everything.
iamblackmo
Sep 11 2009, 05:41 AM
GMC:er
I made a post a week or so back where I was asking about picking. Specifically, when you decide what method of picking you will use.

I said this because it seemed to me, that I NEVER properly alternate picked if I was playing or just jamming.
If I was practicing scales or something of a methodical nature and it is expressed, I would.

This is what I noticed: I essentially do alternate pick but I noticed I very rarely ever came for an upstroke on my high-E. Of course, I found licks that I could not play properly without using upstroke; but, after listening to a recording of myself playing Sweet Child O Mine, something hit me.

Muris mentioned a certain attack and feel and it was just completely missing from the main riff without playing the lick with alternate pick.

This is going to be a bad habit to break, but I never realized how much of an inhibition of not upstroking that 1 string had on my play. I did not get a smooth and consistent punch on the notes and there was a lot of noise that was not coming while I alternate picked.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by iamblackmo: Sep 11 2009, 05:47 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:33 PM