Need Some Help With Metal Soloing!
jonathan
Jun 10 2009, 04:33 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys! The drummer in my band just got a double kick pedal so we were jammin' last weekend with some heavy riffs. i went for a solo but it didn't sound anything like metal. I realized that i've got no experience with metal soloing.

I was thinking that maybe you guys had some licks or suggestions that would help me.

Cheers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
jafomatic
Jun 10 2009, 04:43 PM
If you give a man a lick, he jams for a day. If you teach a man to make his own licks, he jams for a lifetime?

I would maybe suggest three things:

1. Get tabs for any two of your favorite songs that are in the genre you want to learn, then make sure you have a source with which you can listen to those same songs (you own them or can find them streamed somewhere). Listen closely to the rhythms being used and, within the tab, the note intervals and see what the two songs have in common.

2. Check your tone. Do you have enough distortion? How is your EQ set? Which pickup position and type are you using?

3. Listen to even more examples of the genre, include songs from the birth of the genre as well as the current state of the art.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 11 2009, 03:23 PM
Instructor
If you really want to sound metal, practice some triplet runs, arpeggios, simple legato patterns etc. This will help to sound more or less metal, depending on the metal genre.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 11 2009, 10:43 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Check out metal solo lessons at GMC , there are loads of cool licks to "steal" from there:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search_re...arch=metal+solo

Practice alternate picking, those shreddy runs always sound cool for a metal solo.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
jonathan
Jun 13 2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the advice!! smile.gif

QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 10 2009, 11:43 PM) *
If you give a man a lick, he jams for a day. If you teach a man to make his own licks, he jams for a lifetime

man, that's a good analogy

+Quote Post
steve25
Jun 14 2009, 10:33 PM
What sounds metal really is a matter of opinion i think. Metal solos take influences from many different styles so how do you think it didn't sound metal?

+Quote Post
Canis
Jun 15 2009, 01:26 AM
Learning Rock Star
Play anything loud and with distortion on 12!!

tongue.gif
.. Or you can take the tips of this thread tongue.gif
I've recently started learning and playing along with a lot of Finnish Metal. My vocabulary has expanded by a good amount, and so I've learned a lot. I'd say that's the most efficient way of beeing more metal wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:54 AM