Introduction, An introduction long over-due
DevilsWolf
Apr 8 2012, 03:44 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys,

My name is Gilian (to avoid confusion, I’m a male), I’m 29 years old and live in the Netherlands. I’ve been a member of GMC on and off for quite some time now. I was hooked after seeing some of Kris’s older (and crazy) vids on youtube hehe. After that I’ve been enjoying a lot of the lessons, Pavel’s, Muris, Liam’s, Ben’s, Piotr and the list goes on hehe, driving me to keep picking up my guitar.

I’ve been playing instruments for a while now. When I was 6 years old I started playing on my brothers organ and not much later got my father to sign me up for keyboard and eventually piano lessons. Did this for about 10 years. Eventually other things came to path and I started playing less and less. At the time I didn’t listen to metal at all until a friend of mine gradually introduced me to metallica. I became a big fan and started learning James his riffs on this old beat up western acoustic guitar which I got for free from my uncle. Eventually I quit playing piano all together and bought my first electric guitar, a Yamaha Pacifica in combination with a Roland amp hehe. I signed up for individual guitar lessons around my 15th birthday.

Since metallica introduced me into metal, I held on to it,almost blind to all other great guitarist out there. My instructor soon opened my eyes and introduced me to other great artists like Satriani. Ever since I was taught the first minor pentatonic box shape, I tuned my concentration mostly towards lead guitar. After a few years my dedication to guitar playing was off and on again. Eventually I quit the lessons and started playing by myself when I felt like it. Sometimes with pauses of months...which took it's toll. Also became a father in between…

The last few years I’ve been listening to bands like Dream Theater and heavier bands like Machine head and Trivium, but whilst learning I’m open to almost everything.

About a year ago I picked up a Hagstrom Ultra Swede , and decided to play guitar seriously again. I’ve been learning a lot from GMC but also from other (DVD) instructors, like Andy James, COB riffs from Alexi etc. Because my practicing has been inconsistent, after all these years I still consider myself to be leaning against being an intermediate guitar player overall.

Anyways, I’m really looking forward to learn more and more from you guys. I love the mentality and possibilities here on GMC. cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 8 2012, 06:16 PM
Hi Gilian,
You have come to the right place. I recommend getting a mentor, and submitting your playing to be evaluated by them. Its a great way to get good feedback, and get better. Welcome to the group, and good luck!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!

+Quote Post
DevilsWolf
Apr 9 2012, 04:49 AM
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 8 2012, 05:16 PM) *
Hi Gilian,
You have come to the right place. I recommend getting a mentor, and submitting your playing to be evaluated by them. Its a great way to get good feedback, and get better. Welcome to the group, and good luck!

Thanks for your welcome! I'm gonna do a few more of the lessons first. In fact, I'm recovering from a little hand surgery, I'm almost at full strength, might take another 3 - 4 weeks. I will sign up for mentorship soon though. cool.gif

I was just enjoying reading your practise journal btw, good stuff wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 9 2012, 09:52 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC G-man ! smile.gif

It's really cool that you've decided to bite the bullet and invest in your guitar playing with your time. If you need any guidance around here you already know you can ask any of us smile.gif

Hand surgery ? Do you mind if I ask what happened ? Sounds like it went well though, and is healing ok..

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 9 2012, 10:19 AM
Instructor
hey man! Glad to know you are on track! Welcome to GMC!! Please let us know if you need any help! wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
DevilsWolf
Apr 9 2012, 03:38 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 9 2012, 08:52 AM) *
Welcome to GMC G-man ! smile.gif

It's really cool that you've decided to bite the bullet and invest in your guitar playing with your time. If you need any guidance around here you already know you can ask any of us smile.gif

Hand surgery ? Do you mind if I ask what happened ? Sounds like it went well though, and is healing ok..

Thanks!

When i decided to play guitar seriously again about a year ago I started to practise hard, ignoring little pains in my hand. Trying to play at sloppy shred speed fast whilst not having the right technique by far or even propper warmup. After about only 6 months of practise this lump, which they call a ganglion, started growing on a tendance on top of my hand, slightly below en between the knuckles of my index and middle finger. If i moved my fingers it'd move with the tendon up and down aswell. Actually looked cool at first, It slowly grew bigger in time though till about half an inch width when i removed it. I don't know for sure if my bad practise habbits caused this but it's known that ganglions are often due to repetitive straign. Eventually it could press against nerves and cause pain. So it was a lesson hard learned and i take all the warnings more seriously now. It's been a topic on GMC numerous of times aswell.

Now I always start slow, practise slow, only progress to faster gradually when slow sounds and feels good. Never ignore pain --> rest and revise technique. I find it's good to go all out sometimes, even if you're not there yet, because it's cool and motivational but to do this everyday does more harm than good. It's been 5 weeks since surgery and it's healing fine.

btw, wish i could change my nick now lol, G-man would be way better, hehe

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 9 2012, 09:19 AM) *
hey man! Glad to know you are on track! Welcome to GMC!! Please let us know if you need any help! wink.gif

Cosmin

Thanks Cosmin, feels like home already cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 9 2012, 06:40 PM
Instructor
Hi Gilian! Welcome to the site! That new guitar looks great! smile.gif
It's great to know that you already discovered how cool GMC is! biggrin.gif
Let us know if you need some help or assistance.
Enjoy GMC!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 9 2012, 07:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DevilsWolf @ Apr 9 2012, 03:38 PM) *
Thanks!
When i decided to play guitar seriously again about a year ago I started to practise hard, ignoring little pains in my hand. Trying to play at sloppy shred speed fast whilst not having the right technique by far or even propper warmup. After about only 6 months of practise this lump, which they call a ganglion, started growing on a tendance on top of my hand, slightly below en between the knuckles of my index and middle finger. If i moved my fingers it'd move with the tendon up and down aswell. Actually looked cool at first, It slowly grew bigger in time though till about half an inch width when i removed it. I don't know for sure if my bad practise habbits caused this but it's known that ganglions are often due to repetitive straign. Eventually it could press against nerves and cause pain. So it was a lesson hard learned and i take all the warnings more seriously now. It's been a topic on GMC numerous of times aswell.

Now I always start slow, practise slow, only progress to faster gradually when slow sounds and feels good. Never ignore pain --> rest and revise technique. I find it's good to go all out sometimes, even if you're not there yet, because it's cool and motivational but to do this everyday does more harm than good. It's been 5 weeks since surgery and it's healing fine.

Oh man, that sounds nasty ! Glad it's been sorted out and it's healing ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2012, 11:55 PM
We are thrilled to have ya! smile.gif Welcome to/back/again etc. This really is the place for getting better. See if you can join some collabs and RECs and try to come to the video chat lessons and ask questions GALORE!

Todd

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 10 2012, 11:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DevilsWolf @ Apr 9 2012, 02:38 PM) *
Thanks!

Thanks Cosmin, feels like home already cool.gif

Glad to know mate! wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:40 PM