Schecter Loomis Series
gitarcitolga
Jan 21 2012, 10:10 PM
Learning Chord Basher
hey guys! God I had a long time break with the site and playing the guitar. I got a couple questions if you could just tell your opinion that will help me a lot!

1. I was about to order Dean Dave Mustaine VNMT Rust in peace guitar but local stores didn't have one so making an internatonal shipment will be way expensive therefore I made an alternative decision to Schecter Loomis signiture 7 string with the Floyde Rose(KOREAN MADE). What do you guys think about this guitar? anyone knows if there's a big difference between American & Korean made ? The Korean guitar on sale is for 1200 USD in this local store.
2. I want to play this guitar tuning a half step down. So what should my string gauge be about? 10-52? By the way I read that loomis has 9-46+66. what is +66 representing in here I dont get it...
3.Any other extra recommendations? such as any other alternative active pickuped guitars for metal?

I reaaaaly appreciate your suggestions!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Cheers,
Tolga

-Life is beautiful-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jan 21 2012, 10:22 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I believe the +66 is his 7th string. Are you dead set on a Floyd Rose? If not, try the ESP HEX-7. that is the signature 7 string of Nergal from Behemoth. It is a great guitar as well.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
gitarcitolga
Jan 21 2012, 10:44 PM
Learning Chord Basher
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jan 21 2012, 09:22 PM) *
I believe the +66 is his 7th string. Are you dead set on a Floyd Rose? If not, try the ESP HEX-7. that is the signature 7 string of Nergal from Behemoth. It is a great guitar as well.

There's a version for that Shecter guitar without the FR. I just thought that I could dive bomb with FR adding some flavouring to the solos. Though Im concerned about tuning problems with FR and tuning half step down would cause a problem. At least that's what the local seller told me...The ESP HEX-7 looks awesome. In fact I checked LTD and ESP guitars today they are really ecpensive in here so it's automatically elemanted. Hovewer I shall check this one out particularly once again. Thank you!

--------------------
Cheers,
Tolga

-Life is beautiful-

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 22 2012, 12:59 AM
Instructor
yeah the 66 refers to the 7th string,

I think .10's would be for that tuning. I don't really know the difference between the american and korean versions, but that's one cool guitar, and great for metal, I'd buy it, as I'm into that type of guitars as well

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 22 2012, 04:17 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Bottom line is that Schecter Loomis will be good from either Korea or America. If the guitar is setup for a half step down there will be no tuning problems, altering tunings on a Floyd Rose is the issue, if you always stay in that tuning its no big deal. A changed tuning means altering spring tension to match the new tensions of the strings.

String gauge is your preference, you dont NEED those sizes, that may just be what Loomis prefers. I play a full step down on my 7, but my gauge is 11-70, 70 being the low A ( B ). It has a high tension which I think gives it more bite tone wise, I dont like floppy strings. But some people play a 59 or 60 on the low A, even in low tunings like A standard. Experiment and find which works best for you.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 22 2012, 03:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gitarcitolga @ Jan 21 2012, 10:10 PM) *
1. I was about to order Dean Dave Mustaine VNMT Rust in peace guitar but local stores didn't have one so making an internatonal shipment will be way expensive therefore I made an alternative decision to Schecter Loomis signiture 7 string with the Floyde Rose(KOREAN MADE). What do you guys think about this guitar? anyone knows if there's a big difference between American & Korean made ? The Korean guitar on sale is for 1200 USD in this local store.

That's a bit of a steep price, knowing that it costs around 999$ on the net, but it's a local store margin for profit. If that's the only choice, well what can you do. It's a bit expensive, that guitar's real worth is not more then 500-600$, so bare that in mind. Can you try to look for some other stores in your country, in some other cities relatively nearby? Perhaps you can get a better deal? bare in mind that this guitar has maple/maple neck, which will result in more responsive and grainy-sounding, richer top end.

QUOTE (gitarcitolga @ Jan 21 2012, 10:10 PM) *
2. I want to play this guitar tuning a half step down. So what should my string gauge be about? 10-52? By the way I read that loomis has 9-46+66. what is +66 representing in here I dont get it...

You can play this guitar any way you like, and depending on the guitar design, brand of strings and gauge, tone will be different. Thicker strings produce thicker tone, but they go dull quicker. Thinner ones have more brigther tone, but they can sound terrible when downtuned. Try and see what you like, you can start with 10-52, that sounds reasonable

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:39 PM