Prs Pickups... From The Horses Mouth
Spock
Apr 25 2014, 09:38 PM
GMC:er
This was another one of those questions I searched the net for and couldn't find a direct answer, so I just contacted a PRS customer support guy who had answered a question in the past for me and he was very helpful.

So the question was...

Is there a difference in:

HFS Treble VS. "PRS Designed HFS Humbucker"

and

Vintage Bass VS."PRS Designed Vintage Bass Humbucker”

and the answer was...

The SE HFS/VB pickups are based on the US version but are made by G & B pickups. The US HFS/VB’s are wound in our factory and are considered to be a better quality.

Regards,
Paul Reed Smith Guitars

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Mertay
Apr 25 2014, 10:53 PM
They advertised their pickup wire a lot this year, as it was the original used on '59 Gibson's. Probably expensive but should be good I guess.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 25 2014, 11:06 PM
For the way I play it's not going to matter either way. I was just curious. I can see if I were a blues or Jazz guy or a virtuoso that was extremely picky about tone and knew what kind of wood a guitar was made of by ear, and played clean - but, I can't see it making much of a difference to me personally - at all.

But, just for the sake of it, I'll put the one's from my Standard 24 into the SE - for my own mental aspect of it. "The guy from PRS said better quality" not gonna help my playing. blink.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 25 2014, 11:55 PM
I got a free cheap ibanez inf pickup from a friend a few days ago. Figured I could use the parts to upgrade my dimarzio pickup.

I realized every part of it was worst than what dimarzio used, for example my pickup is probably close to 20 years old while the inf. is 5. The magnet on my dimarzio was still stronger.

So it was a muddy pickup; Tone that comes from fingers do benefit from a good pickup. If too compressed, muddy then delicate techniques (picking wizardry I guess) are harder to master. Like; imagine a shredder that has to use ridiculously high strings from fretboard, if he practices on such a bad guitar when you give him a good one it will take a while for him to adjust.

Heavy distortion has lesser importance usually but if you're into clean sound and more importantly would enjoy playing guitar more every upgrade to me is justified smile.gif

Also it takes a lot of time for me to get friendly with new equipment, never could play a hot solo in a guitar shop biggrin.gif but it always felt safe that I use equipment that has good standard and never felt missing anything.

I guess I believe everybody who's passionate should be fortunate too to have the best of what they love smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 25 2014, 11:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 26 2014, 01:08 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 25 2014, 06:55 PM) *
Also it takes a lot of time for me to get friendly with new equipment, never could play a hot solo in a guitar shop biggrin.gif but it always felt safe that I use equipment that has good standard and never felt missing anything.

I guess I believe everybody who's passionate should be fortunate too to have the best of what they love smile.gif

Amen brother!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 30 2014, 01:10 PM
Instructor
Well, since ya guys are on the matter, I found this today smile.gif I think it's very interesting to watch:

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 30 2014, 01:48 PM
Very interesting indeed. That video may have saved me some money. I'll test the tone between the 2 guitars before making the decision to swap out the pickups or not.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 30 2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks for that Cosmin!
Very interesting.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 2 2014, 10:26 AM
Instructor
Very happy to see that you guys found it useful smile.gif There's a whole series of similar interviews about PRS, such as that one, so check'em out:

+Quote Post
Spock
May 2 2014, 01:59 PM
Only played it for a couple hours so far, but I have to say I am completely happy with the way the stock pickups sound. I don't see a need to change them.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 2 2014, 02:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ May 2 2014, 12:59 PM) *
Only played it for a couple hours so far, but I have to say I am completely happy with the way the stock pickups sound. I don't see a need to change them.

That's great man! I was just conducting a discussion in the Romanian PRS community on Facebook and everyone is pretty much satisfied about the way in which SE pickups are working smile.gif I guess it's not just an isolated case then biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:11 PM