Rec: Changing Keys
thefireball
Jun 19 2011, 02:08 AM
Learning Roadie
I have a question about RECs. Would it be any big deal to change the key of the lesson? For instance, Trond Vold has some lessons that are in Standard E, but I am in Standard Eb on my floating trem guitar. Can I just lower the backing track? and then record a take? smile.gif

Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
Jun 19 2011, 08:14 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Not sure what everyone's opinion on this would be.. But that's just half a step of a difference.
You should be OK by just lowering the backing.

Re-tuning the axe just to record a REC take is too much of a hassle and may put you off from recording altogether.
You are being judged on your playing. As long as your sound doesn't drift too much away from the lesson, you should be fine.

I've done this for REC's in the past.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 19 2011, 09:02 AM
Instructor
If I'm not mistaken people have altered the backing track pitch before in REC's so I think it's cool ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2011, 01:49 PM
Instructor
Yes, I believe it is allowed. It's the same thing basically, you are using the same fingerings, just need to shift the pitch of the backing in order to match the guitars.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 19 2011, 02:35 PM
Learning Roadie
Cool! This is good news! Thank you! Haha...one guitar is tuned for Drop C stuff, and another guitar is being setup for Drop A tuning after modifications... so it only leaves me with one guitar with a locking, floating trem system. laugh.gif

I'm overjoyed this is allowed. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
manuh
Jun 19 2011, 02:49 PM
Learning Roadie
maybe you can pitch your guitar rec a half step higher after the recording?

--------------------
check out my new band: Trip To New York

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 19 2011, 02:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (manuh @ Jun 19 2011, 08:49 AM) *
maybe you can pitch your guitar rec a half step higher after the recording?

Well....I guess I could, but I may not sound as natural as a backing track being changed. I dunno. I think I'd rather do the backing track.

+Quote Post
manuh
Jun 19 2011, 02:59 PM
Learning Roadie
okay good luck smile.gif i'm curious about the result

--------------------
check out my new band: Trip To New York

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2011, 07:42 PM
Instructor
It's better to do it with the backing track, we want to hear the original guitar tone.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:04 AM