Acoustic Guitar Recording
muntahunta
May 6 2008, 10:25 AM
Learning Roadie
ok, i have a wide selection of tools at my disposal...

I have a POD XT, a POD X3, an acoustic guitar with 3 band EQ, a PA, a box which converts analogue to digital data, and a guitar pick tongue.gif

im wondrin how i can get an awesome recorded acoustic sound out of this, would it be better recording the acoustic guitar through the POD with no modelling or effects then record it via USB?
what about plugging straight into the analogue to digital convertor?
or plugging the POD into the digial convertor and using effects from the POD?
what kind of EQ should i be looking at?
should i record the acoustic with a mic or plugging in?
(i have a shure SM58 too)

theres alot of ways i can do it and i was wondering what everyone else thought since you probably know better than me biggrin.gif

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 6 2008, 10:27 AM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
hmm... the shure sm58 is a mic for recording your voice, if you want to record an unplugged guitar you should have the shure sm57
i say go fo plugging your electro acoustic guitar in your guitar plug (on the pod x3) and plug it to pc via usb

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Gus
May 6 2008, 11:14 AM
GMC:er
POD X3 comes with a preset for mic'd acoustic guitar. I never tried it in the proper way (with a microphone and guitar).

If you go through I suggest to use Line 6 piezo acoustic amp. I could get some nice sounds with acoustic through that one.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 6 2008, 11:54 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I have notices so far that the X3 has one downside. The mike input lacks phantom power sad.gif

I don't know if there's some peripheral or something that could be added to be able to use a condenser mike so you can record acoustics well with the X3 as your sound interface. Because a condenser mike is a must for recording the acoustic guitar.
Sennheiser has a model that will work as a condenser mike replacement, but it costs like ten SM58 mikes blink.gif

If you're really serious about it you will mike it up with two mikes, one body or hole and one in front of the neck for example wink.gif

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
May 6 2008, 12:05 PM
Acoustic Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ May 6 2008, 04:24 PM) *
I have notices so far that the X3 has one downside. The mike input lacks phantom power sad.gif

I don't know if there's some peripheral or something that could be added to be able to use a condenser mike so you can record acoustics well with the X3 as your sound interface. Because a condenser mike is a must for recording the acoustic guitar.
Sennheiser has a model that will work as a condenser mike replacement, but it costs like ten SM58 mikes blink.gif

If you're really serious about it you will mike it up with two mikes, one body or hole and one in front of the neck for example wink.gif

Yes if you can go for 2 mics that's great

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
May 6 2008, 01:07 PM
Learning Roadie
thanks everyone biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 6 2008, 01:12 PM
GMC:er
In my opinion the best way to record and acoustic is micing it up into a mixer.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
May 6 2008, 05:51 PM
Singing Instructor
I think that the best way is to record the guitar with a mic.Try to find the position of the mic that feel best to you.
And eq,it all depends from case to case.If the track haw bass guitar,cut of a little bass from your guitar.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 6 2008, 05:56 PM
Instructor
if you r acoustic built in with mic so i prefer to go directly as analogue

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 6 2008, 11:24 PM
Instructor
SM57 is not a good mic for acoustics, it's a good mic for guitar cabs. For acoustics you'll need to get a condenser one. B1 or B3 from Behringer could do the trick, they are cheap and for the first condenser not too bad.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
May 8 2008, 03:47 PM
Instructor
When recording acoustic guitars definitely use a mic. And like Ivan said condenser microphones work better for acoustic than dynamic microphones (sm57). If you have the money check out Rode microphones, I hear the NT4 is great for acoustics! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jun 25 2008, 04:28 PM
Instructor
For acoustic must try a condenser mic, and may be an extra dynamic for getting nice bass sound. If you want an cheap has it all, try Zoom H4. I´m using a AKG 414 (bought it $400 used), that things is just amazing for acoustic guitars (metal string guitar) almost doesn´t add no collor to the sound.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 25 2008, 08:14 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I think that if you record one take with the guitar plugged in (either right in the soundcard and add some reverb, delay etc.., or through a pod) and one take mic'ed (preferrably with one or two sm57 as described above) and blend them together Left and Right, you could end up with a very good result smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:31 AM