2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Strings
loundzilla
Sep 12 2009, 06:21 PM
GMC:er
Hi All,

How do I know when I need to change my guitar strings? Is there a big difference between the lower price ones and the higher priced ones?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?
Download the GMC Guitar Theory Grimoire Here!

Guitars
Ibanez RGA42 (EMG 81/85 pickups)
Takemine G series electro acoustic

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 12 2009, 06:44 PM
Jazz Instructor
Once monthly is enough, if you play professionaly, then, once a week!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 12 2009, 06:48 PM
QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Sep 12 2009, 06:44 PM) *
Once monthly is enough, if you play professionaly, then, once a week!

Im still a beginner but i play alot, whats the benifit? Will i start to notice a big difference? Should i get expensive strings?

This post has been edited by loundzilla: Sep 12 2009, 06:49 PM

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 12 2009, 07:01 PM
Instructor
It depends...
Generally speaking, more expensive strings will last longer, but that is not a given rule...
You kind of need to experiment.
I am not great at changing strings regularly..
I always do before a gig, but that doesn't happen that often... :-/

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Sep 13 2009, 12:58 PM
Another factor to consider is the corrosiveness of your sweat. If you have very corrosive sweat you might want to change strings more often.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 13 2009, 01:35 PM
Instructor
You can feel when they start losing sustain. Also the octaves and harmonics are never in tune with old strings. I change them once in 2 weeks but if I am playing a tour then I change every day.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 13 2009, 03:14 PM
Instructor
When they start to loose sustain, tuning, and top end, it's time to change, regardless when it is. If you play often, gotta change them often, if you don't play them often, they can probably hold a month or two, although they tend to break after a while, even if they are not played, they are stretched and brittle.

Strings are like picks, everybody likes them different. I suggest you try all brands and see what you like the best. Use one model at the time. You should try all the mainstream brands to know what fits:

- Elixir
- Dean Markley
- Ernie Ball
- Daddario
- Rotosound

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 13 2009, 06:32 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 13 2009, 03:14 PM) *
When they start to loose sustain, tuning, and top end, it's time to change, regardless when it is. If you play often, gotta change them often, if you don't play them often, they can probably hold a month or two, although they tend to break after a while, even if they are not played, they are stretched and brittle.

Strings are like picks, everybody likes them different. I suggest you try all brands and see what you like the best. Use one model at the time. You should try all the mainstream brands to know what fits:

- Elixir
- Dean Markley
- Ernie Ball
- Daddario
- Rotosound

Thanks everyone.

Thanks ivan for the list of strings. I'll get mine changed in afew weeks then. Im assuming that my local guitar store will have some guitars set up with some of these stings so i can try them out before i buy em smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 13 2009, 06:37 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I think you should change them if you don't want them to sound good, or you're doing gigs, but if you don't have much money, then changing them whenever they break doesn't do any harm as far as I can tell.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 14 2009, 02:05 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Strings loose their "good/new" sound over time. Its just the atmosphere influence I guess (air/corrosion etc). You want to change them once a month. As mentioned above, they loose sound, sustain, get out of tune when they are old.
Now every strings brand is different and prices vary. Ivan gave you a good list of mainstream brands, try them out. You can put each month different strings until you find the ones you like the best. I guess you won't be able to try strings on guitars that are in stores because for many you can't tell which ones are on (by default from factory).Maybe you'll find somes with daddario strings on (those factory strings are often old) but there is no wide selection. + You will be only able to feel the strings under your hand, its hard to judge their sound on different instruments.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 14 2009, 02:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (loundzilla @ Sep 13 2009, 07:32 PM) *
Im assuming that my local guitar store will have some guitars set up with some of these stings so i can try them out before i buy em smile.gif

Now that's tricky.
I experienced myself that the same strings sometimes
don't feel the same on different guitars.
You really have to put them on your guitar to see how it works.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 14 2009, 03:23 PM
All great advise guys thanks alot! I'll start at the top of the list untill i find a set that I like.

Is there a tutorial on GMC that shows how to change strings, or should I let someone experienced do it?

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Joruus
Sep 14 2009, 04:38 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ivan made a nice lesson on how to string your guitar.

There is no need to pay someone to do it for you, once you know how it works it's easy.
If you are unsure after watching the lesson, you could let someone else do it and just look how they do it, then next time you can do it yourself!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...-by-step-guide/

If you have a floating bridge its a bit harder, but there are videos for that on youtube that can explain it really well.

This post has been edited by Joruus: Sep 14 2009, 04:40 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 14 2009, 11:45 PM
Instructor
I agree with Muris, you have to put them and experiment on your guitar, best and safest solution.

Not to mention in stores they usually put factory strings and usually don't know what strings are on anyway..

Always be prepared to get a new set from time to time, and if you are in experimenting phase, change string kits as often as you can (two weeks max if possible), and always by different brand.

Take your time with experimenting, I was switching back and forward through a number of years before settling to Daddario XL110's. Some may not like it, but they are perfect for me (for the time being, gotta try some other stuff soon, don't like to keep it on one place that often! )

I remember the Blue Steel from Dean Markley were great strings, and Elixirs are story for themselves as well. Try those 2, Ernie Ball and Daddario first for reference, this is my suggestion.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 14 2009, 11:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bluetag
Sep 15 2009, 03:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
you should also check out a brand called everly strings. apparently the claim of the company is that their strings are made from a mix of copper and alloy and they make your pickups more pronounced. i was looking for new strings a few months ago and figured i'd order some. i've been using these for maybe 3-4 months and i have to say these strings are really great. they play well last very long and the tone sounds great. here check it out

http://www.theshredzone.com/content/article.asp?pageid=274

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 15 2009, 04:03 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
For brand, I recommend Ernie Ball's. They last longer than any other string I've tried (D'arrio's, Rotosounds and Elixirs), and don't cost a whole lot.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 15 2009, 06:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 15 2009, 05:03 PM) *
For brand, I recommend Ernie Ball's. They last longer than any other string I've tried (D'arrio's, Rotosounds and Elixirs), and don't cost a whole lot.

Not in my case, I ruined every EB set in 5 hours of playing or som,
all went black since I sweat a lot indeed.
With Elixir I still use same set after 2 weeks
and everything is shining.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
DenisN
Sep 15 2009, 07:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Hy guys, I would recommend DR strings because of the same reasons Muris mentioned.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 15 2009, 11:51 PM
Instructor
Yes, DR strings are said to be good, but I haven't tested them out in practice (might be the time tho biggrin.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Sep 16 2009, 04:36 AM
Nobody mentioned GHS boomers. I've played ever set mentioned. IMO GHS makes the best strings for the money.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:14 PM