Alternate Vs Economy Picking, ..the old, old question
fire
Jan 28 2008, 04:29 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys
Strange things happened: a friend of mine started playing guitar but he isn't alternating clear, he just picks "randomly" like he wantes, it's a kind of economy picking - i don't know.
I suggested him to go for good old clean alternate picking - he asked me "why"?
And I had nothing to answer mad.gif
After having told him the stuff I believed personally ( more equal sound etcetc ) he recorded some stuff for me and - to be honest I can't hear any unqequality in his picking / playing.
That made me think; what is the "true" advantage of alternate picking? my guitar teacher made me learn it, but by now, I seem not to have understood it at all
I'd be very pleased for help! GIVE ME MY CONFIDENCE IN ALTERNATE BACK!!! tongue.gif

greetings

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Iluha
Jan 28 2008, 04:37 PM
QUOTE (fire @ Jan 28 2008, 05:29 PM) *
Hi guys
Strange things happened: a friend of mine started playing guitar but he isn't alternating clear, he just picks "randomly" like he wantes, it's a kind of economy picking - i don't know.
I suggested him to go for good old clean alternate picking - he asked me "why"?
And I had nothing to answer mad.gif
After having told him the stuff I believed personally ( more equal sound etcetc ) he recorded some stuff for me and - to be honest I can't hear any unqequality in his picking / playing.
That made me think; what is the "true" advantage of alternate picking? my guitar teacher made me learn it, but by now, I seem not to have understood it at all
I'd be very pleased for help! GIVE ME MY CONFIDENCE IN ALTERNATE BACK!!! tongue.gif

greetings

On higher bpms(120 16th notes +) alternate picking produces a much more even and strong sound than economy picking, atleast that is my experience with it, I also used to only economy pick until recently.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 28 2008, 05:10 PM
Instructor
Random picking is a bad thing and should be avoided! A good technique is based on rules and routines. It's like driving in 1st gear and switching to 3rd straight away. Why? It doesn't work!

Stick to alternate picking or economy picking but in no way a RANDOM picking. You should be able to play both AP and EP but at least you know what you are doing than. He doesn't know what he is doing so you'll be a REAL guitarist - and he'll be a RANDOM guitarist wink.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Jan 28 2008, 05:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 28 2008, 04:10 PM) *
Random picking is a bad thing and should be avoided! A good technique is based on rules and routines. It's like driving in 1st gear and switching to 3rd straight away. Why? It doesn't work!

Stick to alternate picking or economy picking but in no way a RANDOM picking. You should be able to play both AP and EP but at least you know what you are doing than. He doesn't know what he is doing so you'll be a REAL guitarist - and he'll be a RANDOM guitarist wink.gif

Very well put Pavel smile.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 28 2008, 05:16 PM
Lets go fishing!
I think I remember Kris explaining that by alternate picking you are following a natural flow of things! (at least thats how i remember it laugh.gif ) Either way It would seem pretty crazy to try and play any technical stuff with random picking. I just point out to my friends that all the pros alternate pick so if its good enough for them its good enough for me wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 28 2008, 05:18 PM
Wasn't there a huge thread about this a while ago?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Jan 28 2008, 05:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Jan 28 2008, 04:18 PM) *
Wasn't there a huge thread about this a while ago?

I think so huh.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 28 2008, 05:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi,

I asked the same question to Muris a few monnths ago.

Read this Thread

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
fire
Jan 29 2008, 04:25 PM
thanks for all the answers wink.gif
First of all the argument with the speed seems nice to me... sounds idiotic, but i never played different at that speeds, and he can't yet laugh.gif so I wasn't aware of it blink.gif
gonna convince him with that hehe
thanks

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:31 PM