> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Madfish's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2019, 03:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Madfish! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army, my mentoring program. Here I will guide you with your guitar practice, creating routines, practice plans, giving feedback of your playing always based on your guitar goals and musical tastes.

Before we start I would like to know a bit more about you.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jun 14 2019, 06:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Gabe!

- I've been playing guitar for about 7 years. However it's just last two years when I started practicing more seriously. Before it wasn't very regular.
- I don't think I have a favorite. It's lots of different stuff. To name the few: Slash, Petrucci, Andy Timmons, Ten Years After, Deep Purple, Animals As Leaders, Testament, Black Stone Cherry, Al Di Meola, RATM ...
- My general goal is just to have fun playing guitar. I have no ambition to become a professional musician at any point (I'm too old for that already biggrin.gif). I want to be comfortable with improvisation to join jam sessions. I'd also like to grow my composition skills.
- I can devote about an hour a day for practice
- Live experience? Only once. I played November Rain outro at my own wedding biggrin.gif
- Strong areas - I think my alternate picking is quite OK. Legato and music theory as well. Weak areas - vibrato. Whenever I play over a backing track I mostly go by the ear. Even though I understand the theory behind it, I lack when it comes to live application.
- All the theory basics. Scales, modes, chord construction, basic progressions. I also started digging into jazz a bit lately - concepts like secondary dominant, altered scales, triton substitution.
- Sure, I can record myself.
- Some videos:

A composition of my own:
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/margaerita

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jun 14 2019, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2019, 11:22 PM
Instructor
Great stuff Madfish!! smile.gif

Everything sounds good here. I like your composition and your take for the collab is very cool. My question is what are you expecting from the mentoring program. Do you need any guitar routines, lesson suggestions? Some structure? Would you like to share your improvisations here so I can give you some feedback?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jun 15 2019, 04:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for your kind words Gabe 😁. O tend to be rather critical about my own playing.

I'd be very grateful if you gave me some general directions where to go next. Whatever you see as weak spot in my playing. A specific lesson would work just fine.

Sure, I'll record myself improvising and share something whenever I find a while.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2019, 09:31 PM
Instructor
Ok! That sounds good. Let me start with some first thoughts that come to me based on the videos that you've shared:

- You have a very good base, sense of melody, rhythm, and you are able so play some nice fast licks that combine picking with legato.

- I feel that your overall playing could move to a new level if you put your focus on improving dynamics, vibrato and bending. There is more room to make these elements sound more convincing.

- I think that your tone needs work and that improving it, will help improving the previous elements listed. I think that your style of phrasing deserves a more convincing tone, warmer, fatter, closer to the type of sound that guitarists like Andy Timmons, John Petrucci, Slash, and others have. It doesn't mean that you need to copy them, but it would be good to try to emulate some of these tones at first. Using some reverb or delay would be also a second step, before improving your tone. Let's work on it!

- Blues Improvisation: Your blues phrasing is not bad, but you can continue working on this by adding more concepts to your playing to follow the chords, and get more "colours". Adding Major Pentatonics, Dominant Arpeggios and triads, Dorian and Mixolydian modes can help.

- More rhythm experimentation in your phrasing is a good idea.

Let me know what you think!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jun 18 2019, 03:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think all that makes a lot of sense. My tone needs work and I'm well aware of it. Same goes for bends and vibrato! Where would you suggest to start?

Here is my short take on improvising over Wicked Games backing track. I made some changes to my tone as well. It's just a very basic chain with JCM800 - 4x12 miced with SM7 followed by delay and reverb. Is that a step in the right direction?

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jun 18 2019, 03:36 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 18 2019, 04:22 PM
Instructor
Good! I think that going for a simpler set up is the way to go. I would start by lowering drive on this tone to see if you can get a cleaner tone that provides more dynamics potential. This will also make you put more effort in your vibrato to get the right sustain.

I recommend you to work on one or both of these lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Kenny-...pherd-Phrasing/

- Learn the licks.
- Work on trying to get a closer tone.
- Practice and record your own improvisations over these backings.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jun 19 2019, 10:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 18 2019, 03:22 PM) *
Good! I think that going for a simpler set up is the way to go. I would start by lowering drive on this tone to see if you can get a cleaner tone that provides more dynamics potential. This will also make you put more effort in your vibrato to get the right sustain.

I recommend you to work on one or both of these lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Kenny-...pherd-Phrasing/

- Learn the licks.
- Work on trying to get a closer tone.
- Practice and record your own improvisations over these backings.

I really enjoy the Kenny Wayne Shepherd style lesson. I'll spend some time on this one first.
Regarding the tone - I can't really get close to SRV without the single coil. The best I could do is using the split coil on my neck pickup and a Fender Champ emulation. Is that any good?

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jun 19 2019, 01:21 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 20 2019, 09:51 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! That tone is a lot better!! Well done. It still can be improved but it's awesome to see how much enjoyable is your playing with this type of sound.

Keep on the good job!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jun 25 2019, 11:35 AM
Learning Rock Star
Here is my first take on this. I'd love to hear your comments. There are some timing issues with the last lick. I'll work on this with the metronome.
I'm not at all happy with the tone. It's probably a step in the wrong direction smile.gif It's a bit too dark and hairy for my taste. I'm still experimenting here.

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jun 25 2019, 03:24 PM

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jun 25 2019, 06:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Another take with a different tone (a tad brighter):

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jun 26 2019, 11:55 AM
Learning Rock Star
I think I'm getting much better results with a treble booster in front of my amp:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 26 2019, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Madfish!

Your playing is better from take to take. You can play all the licks at tempo with the right timing. I only think that there is room to work on expression elements like dynamics and vibrato, but this also depends on your guitar tone. I still think that you can continue improving it.

I think that the third take has the best sound. As your guitar is a bit loud, I think that it doesn't connect well with the backing track. I would try putting it a bit quieter and with a bit less treble or presence. Do you have your guitar and backing in a DAW?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jun 26 2019, 05:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 26 2019, 03:26 PM) *
Hi Madfish!

Your playing is better from take to take. You can play all the licks at tempo with the right timing. I only think that there is room to work on expression elements like dynamics and vibrato, but this also depends on your guitar tone. I still think that you can continue improving it.

I think that the third take has the best sound. As your guitar is a bit loud, I think that it doesn't connect well with the backing track. I would try putting it a bit quieter and with a bit less treble or presence. Do you have your guitar and backing in a DAW?

Yeah, I made a DAW project out of it. I can tweak it easily.
I reduced the guitar track volume a bit, cut some treble and presence. Is it any better like this?
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/kenny-wayne-shepherd-phrasing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 27 2019, 02:18 PM
Instructor
I still think that your tone is not tasty here. There is something in high frequencies that makes me think that this is a direct line take, not in a good sense. Have you tried with another amp emulation? What are you exactly using?

Compare your take with the original A/B and you'll hear what I mean.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jun 28 2019, 01:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 27 2019, 01:18 PM) *
I still think that your tone is not tasty here. There is something in high frequencies that makes me think that this is a direct line take, not in a good sense. Have you tried with another amp emulation? What are you exactly using?

Compare your take with the original A/B and you'll hear what I mean.

Yeah, I hear you.
I'm using Overloud TH-U, Fender Champ rig profiled by Slate Digital. You can hear it (among 2 other amps) here:

Maybe this will work better. It's a crunch channel of Fender Blues Deluxe + a bit of delay and reverb. I've set it so that it breaks up only if I hit the strings harder. How is that?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 28 2019, 02:16 PM
Instructor
That video is impressive! The comparison is killer.

The new tone sounds a lot better! Work on your ambiece effects (reverb and delay) to make it sound more connected with the backing track. Adjust it over the backing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 4 2019, 06:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
This is depressing unsure.gif . Every time I try, I end up with a tone I hate. It's either thin and fizzy or pure mud. Sometimes I end up with something acceptable on my headphones but not so much on my speakers.

Anyway, enough of my self pity biggrin.gif How is this take?:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 4 2019, 07:52 PM
Instructor
hahaha If we compare this new take with this one: https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/kenny-w...epherd-phrasing

the improvement is AWESOME! I just think that you need to adjust a bit EQ and Effects quantity to get a very good tone for this lesson and style. For now I would try adding a bit more presence and lowering the quantity of Reverb/delay. That could be the next step, what do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 5 2019, 11:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 4 2019, 06:52 PM) *
hahaha If we compare this new take with this one: https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/kenny-w...epherd-phrasing

the improvement is AWESOME! I just think that you need to adjust a bit EQ and Effects quantity to get a very good tone for this lesson and style. For now I would try adding a bit more presence and lowering the quantity of Reverb/delay. That could be the next step, what do you think?

Yeah, that one sounds horrible indeed smile.gif. I think I approached rig profiles with some wrong presumptions. I played around with EQ and gain knobs as it was real amp. I guess you're not supposed to stray such drastically from what the profile gives you "out of the box".

Sure, let me try that to tweak it a bit. What do you think?:
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/kenny-wayne-shepherd-phrasing-take-2/s-uBSjV

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jul 5 2019, 11:33 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:25 AM