Metal Songwriting Tips!
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 22 2015, 02:08 PM
GMC Founder
Recently I have been trying to get back into songwriting. And while doing so, I also try to share the process with fellow youtubers.

So at the end of these three videos, there is an analysis of things that went through my head when writing the riffs/lyrics/arrangements.

If you like this kind of stuff I hope you will join me in my Sunday video chats!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jan 4 2016, 09:54 PM
Learning Roadie
Your legato is wicked, man!

Catchy tunes as always - keep em comin biggrin.gif

EDIT:

Is there a download for the Industrial Track? I could definitely jam to this in my car on my way to work anyday happy.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jan 4 2016, 09:55 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 4 2016, 11:05 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks a million Chris! biggrin.gif

You can download that track here:
https://soundcloud.com/kristoferdahl/master-of-pain

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 14 2016, 10:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
interesting videos, Kris. you have some really cool grooves in your songs. Im always writing riffs and bits of songs but rarely get one properly finished. I always tend to lose it and end up with half a song I like and half that I hate then scrap it rolleyes.gif Its good to watch these videos and get a look at your thought process though, cheers.

also, I just saw your video for 'A loner' on youtube, I'd never seen it before. I watched it about 3 times in a row and was mesmerized by your dancing biggrin.gif besides that, the song, is freakin awesome. really excellent vocal as well.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 15 2016, 07:31 AM
GMC Founder
Thanks so much man! cool.gif

The way I look at it - is that the tricky part is writing a verse and chorus that work together, when you got that you need to find a catchy intro so you don't loose the listener in the beginning (several of my intros in this thread are weak imo).

So if you can come up with a strong verse + chorus then you know you have got a song, the rest requires work but should be doable.

PS Are you joining my livestream today? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 15 2016, 09:34 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I really like the song structure of early black sabbath or the newer Mastodon stuff. I try to follow a similar style with 'varying' success wink.gif

I should be able to catch the livestream today, I except to be home by then. smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 15 2016, 09:50 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 15 2016, 10:34 AM) *
I really like the song structure of early black sabbath or the newer Mastodon stuff. I try to follow a similar style with 'varying' success wink.gif

I should be able to catch the livestream today, I except to be home by then. smile.gif

I haven't listened that much to those - I am however a huge fan Dio's black Sabbath work (Dehumanizer).

Awesome - catch you later then! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2019, 09:23 PM
GMC:er
These are a GREAT series of vids. I'm going to ask fran to make a section in the wiki!!!!
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 22 2015, 09:08 AM) *
Recently I have been trying to get back into songwriting. And while doing so, I also try to share the process with fellow youtubers.

So at the end of these three videos, there is an analysis of things that went through my head when writing the riffs/lyrics/arrangements.

If you like this kind of stuff I hope you will join me in my Sunday video chats!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 19 2019, 08:51 AM
GMC Founder
Thanks for the bump Todd, gave me lots of listening pleasure! 😁

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2019, 03:48 AM
GMC:er
It's well earned!! I had this on loop for quite a while!!
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 19 2019, 03:51 AM) *
Thanks for the bump Todd, gave me lots of listening pleasure! 😁

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 20 2019, 08:46 AM
GMC Founder
Thanks Todd - warms my heart 🙏❤️

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 26 2019, 11:44 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Ande here it is! I'll find a suitable spot on the wiki front page soon cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:38 AM