How Strict
Phil66
Nov 1 2015, 02:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello,

When I am playing along with a backing track, how strict do I have to be to stick to notes in the key? If the backing is D major, I tend to put the scale generator on the screen, select D major all positions and totally stick to those notes but, sometimes I'll try a note outside of the scale and, to my ears it sounds ok.

Any tips?

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 1 2015, 08:44 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Nov 1 2015, 03:59 PM
Learning Roadie
Even if the tonality is Dm, you have a chord progression during the track and you can follow the chord tonality or not .

you can play some notes ouside the Main tonality but present in a realtive one present in the track

i'm right ?

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 1 2015, 05:57 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 1 2015, 08:49 AM) *
sometimes I'll try a not outside of the scale and, to my ears it sounds ok.

That's the key right there - it's your music, so if it sounds OK to you it's cool smile.gif

Scales are a guide, almost like training wheels in some ways but if you stick to them too fanatically you will eventually limit yourself. Having said that, they are however a good place to start and use as an anchor to come back to. In the end, learn the scales be fluent with them and use them as a guide but don't be afraid to play out for a specific effect or tension that sounds good to you.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 1 2015, 08:43 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 1 2015, 01:49 PM) *
...sometimes I'll try a not outside of the scale and, to my ears it sounds ok.

Thats cool, if you feel like it go one step further and select a totally irrelevant note and musically try figure out how to get there and make it sound ok.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2015, 08:59 PM
Thanks Andrew and Mertay,

Pretty liberating! I think I've read too many analyses of solos in the guitar mags I think.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
JoeyAsh
Nov 6 2015, 02:40 AM
GMC:er
If it sounds good, it is good. Some of the greatest music ever written was based solely on breaking the "rules". Wrong notes played in inventive and tasteful ways are what differentiates us all. Have fun!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 6 2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks. I've read many reviews of guitarists and their solos saying things like "he amazingly pulls notes in from many different modes during a solo and he makes it work" and similar things.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:19 PM