2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Shred Guitar Basics, Questions
sammetal92
Jun 28 2013, 03:18 PM
GMC:er
I just started learning Rock You Like A Hurricane (Scorpions) by ear, and I can play the intro solo, but still working on the main solo.

So here are my questions:

1. Would you recommend that song for starting out on shred?

2. Is learning shred guitar by learning songs a good way of getting right into it?

3. Does it help your overall techniques when you learn a song?

4. Would it help in learning other shred songs quickly? For example, I learn a lick in the song and I can play it upto speed and the lick involves fast alternate picking only. If I picked up another song to learn and another lick that only involves fast alternate picking comes before me, would I be able to learn it faster than I learned the last lick like it? And over time, will I keep getting faster and faster in learning licks that involve alternate picking only?

5. After being able to play the whole of Rock you like a hurricane upto speed, what level of difficulty would you recommend for me for shred lessons on GMC?

6. What other songs would you recommend for people who are getting into shred territory that aren't too hard?

7. (if you play shred) what was the first shred song you ever learned on guitar?

Sorry, I know these are a lot of questions but as everyone knows, I ask around a lot smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korblitz
Jun 28 2013, 08:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
1. Yes, why not?

2. Hell yeah! Nothing beats learning a new technique and applying it on the guitar.

3. I hope it does.

4. I think it will...the more time you practice a technique the better you get?

5. No idea dude. Even the ones that have a level 2 are hard to get a perfect ten.

6. How about this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5dYX1RZ49U

7. the one I mentioned above...But I can only play it at slow speed

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 28 2013, 08:29 PM
Theory Instructor
Hey, good questions.

1. For sure, great track!

2. I think that's one of the best ways, that way you improve your chops and learn a new song at the same time. Win-Win.

3. Depends on the song but I would say most of the time yes. If you can get a song clean, clear and up to tempo with the original recording, then you're doing something right technique wise usually.

4. I would say perfect one song, then go on to the next. You might want to do maybe 2-3 that use a similar technique, like alternate picking, or you might want to alternate and check out a sweep picking song next. Either would be beneficial.

5. It would depend on the technique in the lesson, I think each lesson or technique can be easy or difficult for the same person depending on their background and experience. So experiment and see what happens!

6. Try Crazy Train and Mr. Crowley by Ozzy, or maybe even something like Aces High by Maiden as a next challenge.

7. Crazy Train!

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 28 2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks korblitz and Matt smile.gif I kind of have more than usual practice time these days so I'm thinking what to keep my focus on, that's why I thought of asking for opinions smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 28 2013, 08:47 PM
Theory Instructor
Yeah, being consistent is always a plus when practicing. If you can work on something a little each and every day, you usually see bigger results then if you work on it for 3 hours one day, then nothing for a few days, then 3 more hours etc. Consistency is a huge asset when learning how to play guitar.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 28 2013, 10:22 PM
I'm practicing 3 to 4 hours a day every day, I have my time divided into sections, like warm ups, legato, alt picking, theory, song practice. Haven't started on sweep picking yet, I tried it but I thought its too much for me at the moment, so I decided to stick to legato and alt picking for now tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 28 2013, 10:39 PM
Theory Instructor
Cool, sounds like a good plan. Wish I had that much time to practice every day! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 28 2013, 10:50 PM
Yeah, college is off now for 3 months, so I go to work in the morning, come back home, pick up my guitar and start off till I get tired. Then I take a break, go out for a walk, call a mate or something, then back to my guitar. Goes on like this smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 29 2013, 05:13 AM
Instructor
good questions! here you have my answers!

1. yes! it's a good choice.

2. It's not the only thing that you should do but it's important to do it. You should also work on exercises that help you to master the songs.

3. Definitely! Sometimes even more than exercises.

4. yes! just like practicing exercises.

5. This is a tricky questions, and it depends on the techniques used in the lesson. If it's a lesson level 4 about tapping and you've never played tapping, it can be too difficult.

6. There are lots of songs that includes shredding that you could choose. From Megadeth to Ozzy Osbourne, including all those heroes from the 80's like Vinnie Moore, Tony Mcalpine and even Steve Vai.

7. I think that one by Rata Blanca, an argentinean band very similar to Yngwie Malmsteen.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 29 2013, 05:14 AM
Great reply smile.gif The long and the short of it is simply to pick songs that you want to play so that you are encouraged to play more rather than less. It's only natural to want to know the "Best Path" and takes years to find ones path and only looking back determine what worked "Best". So in short, play more, game/web surf/facebook less. You are trying to get as much time as possible without causing injury on your instrument at this point. Keep all the lessons you've learned so far in mind as you go and play things you want to play. The very best thing you can do for yourself at this point is simply not quit. Thus the picking of songs/bits that you dig smile.gif Forcing oneself to play endless drills to a metronome can be maddening. So let your ear be your guide and learn things you think would be cool to actually play and try to play some every single day smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (korblitz @ Jun 28 2013, 03:19 PM) *
1. Yes, why not?

2. Hell yeah! Nothing beats learning a new technique and applying it on the guitar.

3. I hope it does.

4. I think it will...the more time you practice a technique the better you get?

5. No idea dude. Even the ones that have a level 2 are hard to get a perfect ten.

6. How about this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5dYX1RZ49U

7. the one I mentioned above...But I can only play it at slow speed

+Quote Post
korblitz
Jun 29 2013, 01:30 PM
Tony Mcalpine

I love him! Anyone heard the CAB Albums?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 29 2013, 03:12 PM
Instructor
Hey man smile.gif

I would recommend you to start working on various 'shred usual' techniques - alternate picking, legato, sweep picking, tapping and DO NOT neglect your articulation or riffing.

Use various exercises or lessons here at GMC that you CAN learn quickly at your current level - trust me, the satisfaction you will get after learning an easier lesson, will be an important ingredient for the fuel that pushes you towards improving constantly.

Make a list of your favorite songs that incorporate the idea of 'shred' in one form or another and analyze them in order to see which parts you can play NOW and which parts need development regarding a certain technique.

Which are your favorite GMC lessons - let's say around level 3-4 focusing on the above mentioned techniques?

Let's start from here!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jun 29 2013, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 29 2013, 04:08 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 29 2013, 02:12 PM) *
Hey man smile.gif

I would recommend you to start working on various 'shred usual' techniques - alternate picking, legato, sweep picking, tapping and DO NOT neglect your articulation or riffing.

Use various exercises or lessons here at GMC that you CAN learn quickly at your current level - trust me, the satisfaction you will get after learning an easier lesson, will be an important ingredient for the fuel that pushes you towards improving constantly.

Make a list of your favorite songs that incorporate the idea of 'shred' in one form or another and analyze them in order to see which parts you can play NOW and which parts need development regarding a certain technique.

Which are your favorite GMC lessons - let's say around level 3-4 focusing on the above mentioned techniques?

Let's start from here!

Cosmin

For legato: Ben's Land of Legato series (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/)
For sweeps: Lian's lesson "Sweeps: Major and Minor" (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweeps_Major_and_Minor/)
For tapping: Joe's lesson "Van Halen Tapping Style Beginner" (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/van-ha...style-beginner/)
For alt picking: Muris' lesson "Alternate Picking Thirds" (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/)

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Jun 30 2013, 07:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 30 2013, 12:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jun 29 2013, 03:08 PM) *
For legato: Ben's Land of Legato series (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/)
For sweeps: Lian's lesson "Sweeps: Major and Minor" (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweeps_Major_and_Minor/)
For tapping: Joe's lesson "Van Halen Tapping Style Beginner" (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/van-ha...style-beginner/)
For alt picking: Muris' lesson "Alternate Picking Thirds" (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/)

Alright! Mate, you just got yourself a job here smile.gif

Tell me, are you willing to learn and record the easiest one and place the vid here? We would all like to help out, so it doesn't matter how it sounds at first! I think your selection is nice and if you are ambitious and hard working you CAN nail these and learn to apply these concepts in your OWN playing - do we have a deal, young man??

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 30 2013, 06:53 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 30 2013, 11:31 AM) *
Alright! Mate, you just got yourself a job here smile.gif

Tell me, are you willing to learn and record the easiest one and place the vid here? We would all like to help out, so it doesn't matter how it sounds at first! I think your selection is nice and if you are ambitious and hard working you CAN nail these and learn to apply these concepts in your OWN playing - do we have a deal, young man??

Yes sir laugh.gif but I don't really have a working camera at the moment, I'll need to get my hands on one pretty soon, the laptop's webcam is really crappy, its sooo dark, you can't see the sun with it mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
korblitz
Jun 30 2013, 07:02 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jun 30 2013, 05:53 PM) *
Yes sir laugh.gif but I don't really have a working camera at the moment, I'll need to get my hands on one pretty soon, the laptop's webcam is really crappy, its sooo dark, you can't see the sun with it mellow.gif

Like my grandfather used to say: " Having a crappy web camera is better than not having a web cam".

This post has been edited by korblitz: Jun 30 2013, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 30 2013, 07:04 PM
QUOTE (korblitz @ Jun 30 2013, 06:02 PM) *
Like my grandfather used to say: " Having a crappy web camera is better than not having a web cam".

True laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2013, 09:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (korblitz @ Jun 30 2013, 03:02 PM) *

Well said! Maybe if you use a good light in front of you we will be able so see you. Try using daylight.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 30 2013, 10:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
just in case https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Scorpi...rricane-Solo-2/

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 1 2013, 06:20 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 30 2013, 09:34 PM) *

How could I have missed that? mellow.gif

Thanks a lot, that'll help loads! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:35 PM