New Animals As Leaders
Todd Simpson
Feb 20 2014, 12:30 AM
GMC:er
The new ANIMALS AS LEADERS tune is up on youtube. It's not everyones bag for sure bug I'm digging it wink.gif What do you guys think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 20 2014, 12:30 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 20 2014, 02:01 AM
As complex and full of creative ideas, I always feel their songs lack musical depth.

By depth I mean when listened 2.nd, 3rd... time I don't that "oh I didn't notice that before" moments. They have too much frame-to-frame inside them rather than a "whole" musical message which could have leaved a mark when the song has ended.

But I am always curious of what they bring new and pretty sure it will be a joy to keep observing their progression in the long run smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 20 2014, 02:02 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SindreD
Feb 20 2014, 04:31 AM
Tosin Abasi, you magnificent bastard! Now this is one of the Djent acts that really stands out, in my opinion. Been following this band since their debut, which will probably stand as one of my all-time favorite Prog albums. I'm really impressed with how they manage to evolve naturally and still be inspired and full of ideas. Will be buying their new album, for sure! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 20 2014, 07:52 AM
Instructor
I also think that the fact that they are prone to be far more technical than musical is a downside for me.. I cannot say they don't rule tho smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 22 2014, 07:23 AM
It's been really amazing to watch them change over time. I can't wait to see what's in store on the rest of tracks smile.gif Tosin is just crazy good. He attended the Atlanta Institute of Music here in town and boy has he ever raised the bar for that place smile.gif

QUOTE (SindreD @ Feb 19 2014, 10:31 PM) *
Tosin Abasi, you magnificent bastard! Now this is one of the Djent acts that really stands out, in my opinion. Been following this band since their debut, which will probably stand as one of my all-time favorite Prog albums. I'm really impressed with how they manage to evolve naturally and still be inspired and full of ideas. Will be buying their new album, for sure! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 22 2014, 01:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 22 2014, 06:23 AM) *
It's been really amazing to watch them change over time. I can't wait to see what's in store on the rest of tracks smile.gif Tosin is just crazy good. He attended the Atlanta Institute of Music here in town and boy has he ever raised the bar for that place smile.gif

He is an amazing player indeed smile.gif Looks like a lot of extraordinary folks have risen from that region - I didn't know he studied there.. So, we have Tosin and Sevendust so far - who else is there to be mentioned?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 22 2014, 04:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
Listening now, so far it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. It doesn't have the same groove for me as other djent acts, but seem to be more of a musical and technical journey. Which is something one has to be in the mood for. Maybe I'm just not in the mood at the moment. But Tosin is a beast regardless.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Feb 22 2014, 04:41 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 20 2014, 06:52 AM) *
I also think that the fact that they are prone to be far more technical than musical is a downside for me.. I cannot say they don't rule tho smile.gif

I agree, Cosmin. Being technically proficient definitely has its place, and in the right ratio, technical parts are very cool. But IMHO, when an entire song relies on technical parts for the sake of technicality (am i saying technical too many times?), it detracts from the song as a whole and begins to really wear on the ears. More hooks: Thats my motto.

This post has been edited by waynedcoville: Feb 22 2014, 04:42 PM

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 22 2014, 04:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (waynedcoville @ Feb 22 2014, 04:41 PM) *
I agree, Cosmin. Being technically proficient definitely has its place, and in the right ratio, technical parts are very cool. But IMHO, when a whole song relies on technical parts for the sake of technicality (am i saying technical too many times?), it detracts from the song as a whole and begins to really wear on the ears. More hooks: Thats my motto.

Couldn't agree more!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 22 2014, 05:43 PM
The pop acts from the south are plentiful (R.E.M., B-52s, etc.) as are wads of Rap acts. But as far as heavy and modern, most fo the scene is very underground so you probably would not have and may never get to hear of most of the bands. GNOSTIC is from Georgia, (the side project of the drummer from ATHEIST) and I played on their first demo which was recorded at the same place MASTADON did there first demo before hitting it big. Here is a track I really dug from that demo.

Hopefully more acts will start making a name for themselves beyond the club scene here now that the web has opened up the international market even in terms of awareness if not profitability smile.gif One local band called ROYAL THUNDER Is making a name for themselves and may break national soon.

My buddy Matt produces a web show called indie atl that I help on and ROYAL THUNDER did a show a bit back. Here is the vid.

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 22 2014, 07:17 AM) *
He is an amazing player indeed smile.gif Looks like a lot of extraordinary folks have risen from that region - I didn't know he studied there.. So, we have Tosin and Sevendust so far - who else is there to be mentioned?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 22 2014, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:54 AM