Old Age, too old to play like the instructors
Fretburns
Nov 13 2008, 03:42 PM
GMC:er
hi there..ive played guitar for nearly 20 years,and its only over the last 3 or 4 ive really tried to get better...(im 45 by the way) ..i practise every day around 2hrs ...will i ever get as good as the Paul Gilberts,Vai,malmsteen,brent mason etc the list is endless..i love all styles of guitar..OR AM I JUST TOO OLD!! if i dont practise my skill level drops down straight away...i would like to know your thoughts on this subject please... i joined this site about 2 weeks ago...its awsome!! so much to learn and not enough time..dry.gif huh.gif ohmy.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kapto
Nov 13 2008, 04:14 PM
I think the asnwer lies on how much you love music+the will to practice.
I am 39 I've been playing on and long offs for the last months I now see myself practising more often thanks to this website and because the will to practice remains longer in me for some reason I have realized that there's soooooo much to learn that I stoppped thinking about it so I am learning by bits step by step with no rush. I don't see myself playing like Vai or Gilbert some day (out of question) but that's about what your aiming for and the effort you want to put into it.
Most great musicians Mastered the instrument when they were 16 and then started to find a new way to create their own stuff and techniques. I don't think that's a normal thing that happens to everyone.
How good you want to be depens only on you cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It's a long way to the top..."

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Nov 13 2008, 04:45 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Well I think that with lots of hard work, You still could play as the greatest players. But that would mean much more playing than 2hrs a day, and the practicing would have to be very focused ( well this is a general tip to us all ). Also it depends on how musical your "heart" is. I don't know how to improve this besides listening to music in it's many different forms. I find many melodies/songs to be much better musically than some of Vai/others stuff, even though they aren't guitar madness;)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Nov 13 2008, 04:52 PM
Learning Roadie
It's an interesting point.

Though for me having watch 'The History of the Guitar' and saw the likes of BB King and Les Paul still playing (and very well) at their advanced age I'll be very happy

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 13 2008, 11:05 PM
Instructor
Don't worry man, just be patient and practice as much as you can. You can achieve great level of playing in 5-10 years if you practice, so you can start playing and working professionally. THe main question is what is your goal with guitar. You don't have to "chase" vai, gilbert etc, just be yourself and play the music you like. In time your technique will build up and you will be satisfied with your playing. Just don't make breaks - practice all the time.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
BMcG
Nov 19 2008, 06:18 PM
Hey Guys,

With regard to learning a skill like this when you're getting older (I'm 38 myself!), take a look at this article. It's really great inspiration for those of us that may consider ourselves "late bloomers".

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/10...a_fact_gladwell

_Bryan

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 19 2008, 08:47 PM
Instructor
Very nice mate, thanks for sharing smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Nov 19 2008, 09:13 PM
Chase your dream bud. I'm 48 and not stopping. Will I ever be a guitar god? Only in my own mind! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 19 2008, 09:23 PM
QUOTE (Fretburns @ Nov 13 2008, 03:42 PM) *
hi there..ive played guitar for nearly 20 years,and its only over the last 3 or 4 ive really tried to get better...(im 45 by the way) ..i practise every day around 2hrs ...will i ever get as good as the Paul Gilberts,Vai,malmsteen,brent mason etc the list is endless..i love all styles of guitar..OR AM I JUST TOO OLD!! if i dont practise my skill level drops down straight away...i would like to know your thoughts on this subject please... i joined this site about 2 weeks ago...its awsome!! so much to learn and not enough time..dry.gif huh.gif ohmy.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I'm not old, so I don't really know. but if your fingers don't feel like sticks- I am positive you can get just as good.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 20 2008, 01:04 PM
Instructor
No matter how old you are I think a man should always chase his dreams just like Toroso wrote. Life would be very dull if we don't do that, so cheer up and practice and play - guitar and music are a great thing! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 20 2008, 01:06 PM
I feel like I'm too old to do anything and I'm only 24 but I'm also Captain Negativity. I'm 25 in 2 months. I'm going to get everybody round that I know to my house and have a simultaneously weeping party.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 20 2008, 03:53 PM
Instructor
That's a cool idea mate smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 20 2008, 03:58 PM
I will post a video afterwards of us all crying in perfect unison laugh.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 20 2008, 11:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Nov 20 2008, 03:58 PM) *
I will post a video afterwards of us all crying in perfect unison laugh.gif

You didn't say you are making a karaoke party laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 21 2008, 12:00 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 20 2008, 10:42 PM) *
You didn't say you are making a karaoke party laugh.gif

laugh.gif haha. That might be a plan smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 21 2008, 12:06 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Nov 20 2008, 01:06 PM) *
I feel like I'm too old to do anything and I'm only 24 but I'm also Captain Negativity. I'm 25 in 2 months. I'm going to get everybody round that I know to my house and have a simultaneously weeping party.

heheheh that's a good idea! Maybe I'll join the party smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 21 2008, 12:11 AM
Instructor
Speaking of karaoke, Bogdan brought a cool karaoke software on my birthday party it's called ultrastar deluxe. You can check it out if you want smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 21 2008, 12:26 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 20 2008, 11:11 PM) *
Speaking of karaoke, Bogdan brought a cool karaoke software on my birthday party it's called ultrastar deluxe. You can check it out if you want smile.gif

I will hunt it down smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:42 PM