Macbook Users.. Can You Help Me Pick One?
David Wallimann
Mar 2 2009, 04:45 PM
Instructor
Hi folks!
I've been saving up for the last year and am ready to buy Macbook pro.
I'll probably get one used.
I'll be using it for music production, along with video stuff..

Any happy Macbook pro users out there that can recommend me anything?
I'd like to keep it under $1700 MAX..
Lower is better. :-)
I was hoping to get at least 200Gigs of HD and maybe 4G of ram?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
wrk
Mar 2 2009, 05:08 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Mar 2 2009, 04:45 PM) *
Hi folks!

David, have a look at the US online apple store HERE. On the bottom left side you will find a "Special Deals" section (Refurbished Macs).

Refurbished products are, products which are not in there original packaging anymore, but their are going through the same quality test procedure like all other products. I have bought 2 laptops and one ipod over the years through this refubished program and never had problems. Listed products their are often changing and quickly gone .. so you should check this page regular for good offers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sami
Mar 2 2009, 05:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Also david are you a student or an educator? you can get around 200 dollars off your computer if you are! go to the educational store

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 2 2009, 06:01 PM
GMC:er
what exactly are we recommending to you? A place/store that sells em for a cheaper price? No this isn't a sarcastic question, I'm just confused on how your wording your question.

As for recommendation, just get the last edition of Macbook Pro, those are probably reduced price since the new models came out a couple months back. You can also just get the last macbook (white one), and just upgrade the specs. I think you can get a macbook for about $1000 with 2.0 ghz, 2 gig DDR2 SDRAM, 120 gb hard drive. Then use the next $300 upgrading the RAM to 4 gigs, and Hard Drive to 320. That would be the cheapest Macbook I could recommend.

If you really want one used, try this site called MacMall.

EDIT:

good news, there doing a sale right now, and found this for you, enjoy! MPB Although 2 gigs of RAM so yeah haha, sorry,

This post has been edited by VinceG: Mar 2 2009, 06:11 PM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 2 2009, 06:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (VinceG @ Mar 2 2009, 12:01 PM) *
what exactly are we recommending to you? A place/store that sells em for a cheaper price? No this isn't a sarcastic question, I'm just confused on how your wording your question.

As for recommendation, just get the last edition of Macbook Pro, those are probably reduced price since the new models came out a couple months back. You can also just get the last macbook (white one), and just upgrade the specs. I think you can get a macbook for about $1000 with 2.0 ghz, 2 gig DDR2 SDRAM, 120 gb hard drive. Then use the next $300 upgrading the RAM to 4 gigs, and Hard Drive to 320. That would be the cheapest Macbook I could recommend.

If you really want one used, try this site called MacMall.

EDIT:

good news, there doing a sale right now, and found this for you, enjoy! MPB Although 2 gigs of RAM so yeah haha, sorry,

That's exactly what I need. Just store suggestions.
Also, I needed any kind of input on Macbooks for music.
I'm a PC guy, and want to switch to Mac mostly because I am sick of viruses, crashes and other ridiculous PC stuff...
Thanks for all the advices!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 2 2009, 06:54 PM
hmm, as for music, I personally haven't used Garageband so I can't vouch for it. As for the virus, I can see that saying being eliminated in the next 10 years especially with the growing users of Mac nowadays. Crashes? Yeah, Ive only had 1 or 2 incident of my macbook crashing (I considered it one since I had to restart my computer) since I had it for 6 months, and that was mainly due by the fact that I put in a burned dvd. When applications/browser or anything crash, its also easily fixed with force quitting that problem w/o harming other running programs on the background. Very convenient since I always hate it when one of my apps would crash on a PC, and when I do the ctrl+alt+dlt config, the PC would just close everything that's open. If your a pack-rat, then the app in Apple called Time Machine will blow your mind.

I personally think Macs are a smoother and nicer OS. The way they built the engine of Leopard being fast and reliable is something that comes with the Mac territory. Also the next OS (Snow Leopard) that Apple will unleash is purely based on making Leopard EVEN FASTER. Really exciting for the coming years of Mac's.

I dont really know any store that sells Macs nowadays aside from Best Buy and the Apple Store. If you want the deal I found for you, then just buy it online, im sure its a trusted one.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Mar 2 2009, 07:04 PM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 2 2009, 07:01 PM
Instructor
Thanks for your answer Vince.
I'll be using Logic most likely. I've seen it running and am excited about its features.
Thanks again for your advice!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 2 2009, 07:07 PM
My friend uses Logic and swears by it. I think you'll be happy with it.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Mar 2 2009, 07:07 PM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 2 2009, 07:23 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
David,
it may be worth also buying an external fw hard drive so that you can separate how the different audio streams access the hard disc buss should you be using more than one audio device. ie DAE to one disc and coreaudio to another...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 2 2009, 07:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 2 2009, 01:23 PM) *
David,
it may be worth also buying an external fw hard drive so that you can separate how the different audio streams access the hard disc buss should you be using more than one audio device. ie DAE to one disc and coreaudio to another...

Great advice!
Thanks a lot man!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 2 2009, 11:11 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Mar 2 2009, 04:45 PM) *
Hi folks!

I have one, and it's the best thing I've ever bought. You'll love garageband (such an awesome little amp modeler in it too)

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 3 2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Mar 2 2009, 05:11 PM) *
I have one, and it's the best thing I've ever bought. You'll love garageband (such an awesome little amp modeler in it too)

Cool!
What are the specs of your machine?

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Mar 3 2009, 03:10 PM
With how much ram do they deliver the MB pro? However, I can warmly recommend not to get it from the apple store if you want to add some components when buying. It is way too expensive. Get additional Ram from an external store and install it by yourself, you'll save a lot of money. I was looking for an IMac and wanted to upgrade from the original 500gb HDD to 1TB HDD and they want 200 bucks more for that. Unfortunately, when it comes to HDD you don't really have a choice to accept this if you really want it. That's why you shouldnt at least do it concerning the Ram ! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Nighthawk1: Mar 3 2009, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 4 2009, 07:28 AM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Mar 3 2009, 03:01 PM) *
Cool!
What are the specs of your machine?

The skinny on mine is:

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
256 MB VIDEO RAM - GeForce 8600M GT (1440x900 res)
186 GB HHD (With all the software that come on it, 155GB was empty)

In September I paid $2100. This mac book is the grey one, just before those nasty glossy screens came out.

It came with iLife (which includes Garageband), but I had to pay for iWork. It's Apple's "Office" bundle (only $79 for even better software!)

And incase your wondering, 2GB of ram is lots for a mac. It's like have 8GB ram in vista.

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Mar 4 2009, 07:29 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 4 2009, 07:36 AM
If you wish to upgrade Ram of a Mac that can ensure its stability to work specifically for your version of Mac (w/o dealing with the ridiculous price on Apple Store), buy it from MacSales

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2 gig SDRAM to 4 gigs. Yeah, its not needed, but a bigger RAM is always good especially when your multi-tasking. If an OS supports it well, you really cant go wrong with a bigger RAM.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Mar 4 2009, 07:38 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 4 2009, 07:48 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Mar 4 2009, 07:36 AM) *
If you wish to upgrade Ram of a Mac that can ensure its stability to work specifically for your version of Mac (w/o dealing with the ridiculous price on Apple Store), buy it from MacSales

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2 gig SDRAM to 4 gigs. Yeah, its not needed, but a bigger RAM is always good especially when your multi-tasking. If an OS supports it well, you really cant go wrong with a bigger RAM.

Yeah, for me it's not. But for if David is going to be using it for multimedia stuff, it's worth it probably. Mine doesn't get strained at all, mostly internet (gmc) and msn.

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
jdriver
Mar 4 2009, 08:10 AM
Consider if you can stand the glossy screen that all the current models have. If you prefer matte (which I do), you'll have to go with used or a refurb of last year's, which is still a very nice machine.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 4 2009, 02:56 PM
You don't have to buy a refurbished machine. Just go to the websites that I handed out here, and get them new.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Mar 5 2009, 05:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
I personnally think that any kind of Mac is great..

I use a macbook with logic Pro and it works pretty well. For HD video all the render can take some time but it's not that bad. My brother own a Macbook Pro and this is the way to go. I never try to record music with is computer but I made a movie once and I use is computer. Man Mac are awesome seriously.

I'm a Logic user and I can tell you that this software rocks (in my case, it is the guitarist that doesn't rock compared to the software laugh.gif )

Just go for a MacBook Pro and I guarantee that you would be please

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 5 2009, 06:02 PM
Instructor
Just bought a Macbook pro on ebay!

I think I got a good deal, it's brand new, still sealed in box.
It's a 15" 2.5G.
Comes with 4Gigs of Ram and a 320G harddrive.
I paid 1700 for it.

What do you guys think?

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:18 AM