Thumb Dragging On Position Shift Of Fretting Hand
Neurologi
Sep 11 2009, 05:53 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone has some advice? I get a lot of friction between thumb and the neck on a position shift. As a result, the thumb always lags behind the fingers. Any tricks to get the neck to feel smoother and/or the thumb to be more slick? Hopefully, a home remedy rather than yet another gizmo I can only buy in one store that only sells to businesses rolleyes.gif

Cheers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 11 2009, 07:21 AM
Is there any particular reason not to relax the grip while moving the hand?

I know that our thumbs are slower than the other fingers but I believe that's across longer distances than the small measure of distension needed to relax the thumb just off the neck while moving the hand to a new position.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 11 2009, 07:41 AM
I will give that a try by becoming more conscious of it. I just find that the smallest touch on the back of the neck with the thumb as I shift causes it to stick even when not pressing. When that happens, I find myself having to readjust. It is becoming a little annoying.

Thanks.

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
wrk
Sep 11 2009, 09:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Not sure i understood this right .. does the back of the neck feels sticky (material/finish) or do you have problems to release the grip of the left hand when you shift to another position?

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 11 2009, 09:31 AM
The back of the neck isn't sticky. It just isn't super smooth like a polished wood floor would be. I think it is more this one particular guitar I use than the others. Yeah. I release the pressure on the back of the neck and shift position. All the while, endeavoring to still keep slight contact between the neck and thumb. Or am I mistaken there? I ain't playing with a death grip either. So I don't think it is a matter of tension so much.

[EDIT] >> Come to think of it. It is in a way like sticky fingers. It isn't the result of sweat or oil on the fingers. It might be something to do with the fact that here in Finland static electricity is a rather prevalent condition. Therefore, it could be "sticking" the thumb to the neck in a way? That is why I ask if there is something one can do to treat one's fingers or the back of the neck to make it a little more slick in feel?

This post has been edited by Neurologi: Sep 11 2009, 09:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 11 2009, 10:10 AM
Instructor
The technique for keeping the thumb moving swiftly will come in time mate. I had satin finish on my Strat that was worn out pretty quickly. Now you can call it sticky, but it still doesn't prevents me from moving around. It's all about the practice. I used to have similar problems and I always blamed the neck, but in fact the neck has little to do with it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 11 2009, 10:38 AM
Ah cool. Thanks for that. It is easy to blame the equipment. I know. I just did! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 11 2009, 01:18 PM
Instructor
Practice will solve everything, no worries. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 12 2009, 02:53 PM
Practise? smile.gif I am starting to realise it is pretty much a cure-all now. If I am having problems, the first thought that should come to mind is: have I practised this enough? Thanks again, guys! Excellent advice.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:10 PM