2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Punch In The Face
VilleFIN
Nov 29 2011, 05:06 PM
Tone Seeker
Hi guys !

As I promised in Previous topic here's my new song.

I made first recordings in 2008 and felt that I wasn't capable of finishing the song the way I want. (due to my playing skills wink.gif )

But here it is.

CLICK

I have played the guitar and bass myself. Ezdrummer is used for drums. (o'really !? )
I have done most of the mixing with ezmix presets.

Cheers

-Ville-

The Soundcloud is tweaking the sound...so here I put the mp3 on here too.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Punch_In_The_Face_FINAL_MASTER.mp3 ( 3.92MB ) Number of downloads: 179

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JD_
Nov 29 2011, 05:16 PM
Learning Roadie
Sounds good man....I like it, well done :-)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 29 2011, 09:20 PM
Instructor
Sounds very good man, very nice riffing, and cool sound effects too! smile.gif I like the fact that the song is changing, so it stays interesting.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Nov 29 2011, 09:33 PM
Tone Seeker
Thanks JaxN4 !!

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 30 2011, 12:20 AM) *
Sounds very good man, very nice riffing, and cool sound effects too! smile.gif I like the fact that the song is changing, so it stays interesting.

Shotgun baby cool.gif

Thanks Ivan !!

What do you think about mixing ?

This post has been edited by WeePee: Nov 29 2011, 09:35 PM

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 29 2011, 10:07 PM
Instructor
I like the energy of the song, the tone of both rhythm and lead guitar are pretty good.

i think the drums could use other samples, but you already have the MIDI channel so that might not be so difficult.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 30 2011, 12:14 AM
Learning Roadie
I think it's cool man! I commented on your SoundCloud. I always get a kick out of comments on SoundCloud so I thought I would do the same for you. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 30 2011, 10:50 PM
Instructor
I agree with Daniel, I think drums could be better in quality. What were you using?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2011, 03:30 AM
GMC:er
Groove Monster! I'm diggin it smile.gif The guys have a point about the drums though, but the guitars are screaming and killer. If your using EZ drummer, add OZONE, if your not using BFD ECO, buy it! smile.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Dec 1 2011, 05:35 AM
Tone Seeker
Well like I said in the 1st. post I'm using Ezdrummer and Ezmix.

Todd: The Ozone is quite expensive 199 $ / 150 €...

What do you guys don't like in the drums ? 
Overall mixing ?
Or sounds of tom, cymbals, snare etc ?
Or how the drums are played ?

But also I said that I think Soundcloud is mudding the overall sound little bit. That why you shoul listen the mp3 in this thread.

Well at least you said that guitar sounds good. That's nice. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 2 2011, 01:35 AM
I was thinking try the OZONE demo, if not, there is a free plugin called TUBE AMP which is a tube warmer sort of thing in my instructor forum there is a link under "free software for audio video creation" here is the link. Try this on the "two bus" or master bus, or just export your mix as a .wav and try it on that. The Master Maximizer is a good preset for overal mix punch.

http://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugins

It's the drum samples that are not working all that great I think. I use EZ drummer and I finally had to upgrade to the DRUMS FROM HELL ezx expansion pack due to the lack of punch/depth on the stock ez samples. The upgraded drums sound much better but still need some help in a mix with compression, eq, fx etc. You still have to mix it like it was a drum kit or it will end up sounding a bit fake/drum machiney, make sense?

That's why I suggested BFD ECO. I got it for $29 and it has two FX slots for each channel and several different sets of drums to choose from. It's just staggering how good it sounds out of the box.

Getting good drums, especially for a non-drummer, using only software is not as easy as it looks on paper. But it's doable. Just a bit of a learning curve.

Todd
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 30 2011, 11:35 PM) *
Well like I said in the 1st. post I'm using Ezdrummer and Ezmix.

Todd: The Ozone is quite expensive 199 $ / 150 €...

What do you guys don't like in the drums ? 
Overall mixing ?
Or sounds of tom, cymbals, snare etc ?
Or how the drums are played ?

But also I said that I think Soundcloud is mudding the overall sound little bit. That why you shoul listen the mp3 in this thread.

Well at least you said that guitar sounds good. That's nice. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 2 2011, 01:36 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 3 2011, 12:11 PM
Instructor
This kicks ass, Ville cool.gif

I like the menacing melodies and riffs... and then it goes into super Megadeth territory ! biggrin.gif

And what a cool title for a song ! \m/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2011, 05:55 PM
Instructor
Great tune man! I like the riffing and the style! Good job.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Dec 4 2011, 05:10 PM
Tone Seeker
Thanks Ben and Gabe happy.gif

If anyone interested here's a new mix

http://soundcloud.com/alfafirefox/punch-in-the-face-master4

This post has been edited by WeePee: Dec 4 2011, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 6 2011, 12:45 AM
QUOTE (WeePee @ Dec 4 2011, 11:10 AM) *
Thanks Ben and Gabe happy.gif

If anyone interested here's a new mix

http://soundcloud.com/alfafirefox/punch-in-the-face-master4

Well done smile.gif It RAWKS! smile.gif I shot you an email with a breakdown of some things to try as you continue to mix/learn/mix/learn etc.
In particular, I sent a video from youtube about using the MIXER built in to EZ Drummer. For those of you with EZ DRUMMER, the built in mixer is your friend! Hit the MIXER button!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 6 2011, 07:35 PM
Instructor
The new mix is better!

The kickdrum is really good, I like it,

you could use another snare. one that´s more present and in front

Compare your mix to your favorite band and you´ll notice that. Experiment adding different snares at the same time too. I think that part of the drums is so important to make it sound punchy

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Dec 6 2011, 09:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Kickin! Loved it. Great job. cool.gif

Just an FYI - if you weren't aware of it, you can assign each kit piece to a separate track in your DAW.

Here's a forum reply about the topic. I've done it in cubase, but I'm not home right now and can't remember off the top of my head how it works, but maybe this will give you some search-keys to use for googling the subject. By breaking apart the kit pieces, you can select one, like the snare, to enhance it separately from the rest of the kit.

CODE
Ok, firstly, he's asking about EZDrummer, not Superior Drummer 2.0 (thanks for pointing that out too Chris)

Have your PT session running and EZDrummer loaded.
Open the EZD Mixer window.
Select multi-outs - its should say Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, etc as you go across the mixer for each instrument in the kit. There are generally 8 outs (Kik, SN T, SN B, HH, Toms, Cymbals, Room, Comp)
Ok - you can close the mixer screen as sklitrip mentioned and re-open to check the assignments (if you like).
Make sure you have 8 AUX tracks in PT (if you already havent done this)
In the channel OUTPUT on your instrument track, you will see the option to output to plug-in EZDrummer=> EZ1, EZ2, etc..
On the AUX tracks, name the different tracks as per the mixer in EZDrummer (makes it easier than just trying to tremember which each Aux track is!) - Kik, SN T, SN B, HH, Toms, Cymbals, Room, Comp
Now, assign each AUX channel input from the EZD plug-in.
i.e EZ1 - Kik, EZ2 - SN T, EZ3 - SN B, EZ4 - HH, EZ5 - Toms, EZ6 Cymbals, EZ7 - Room, EZ8 - Comp (or something similar to this).
Now, you should have each track assignment from EZDrummer into each AUX track.
Test each channel but clicking (or using your keyboard controller) to test each part of the kit and that they are assigned properly.

Add another Aux channel for parallel compression to taste and away you go..

Also, if you are registered with Toontracks, there is a multi-out template for EZDrummer in their user download section.. free
HTH - I'm doing this all away from my studio rig and going from memory - excuse any mistakes if I've made any!

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Dec 6 2011, 09:58 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 11 2011, 11:02 PM
Instructor
Were you using any plugins maybe? Compressors, enhancers?

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Dec 26 2011, 08:59 PM
Tone Seeker
All right I'm moving this up again 'cos I re-mixed this.
Now with new Drum vst Metal Machine from Toontrack.

It's really updated version of Drums From Hell.
Also added more fills and replaced some drum parts,

What do you think ? wink.gif

http://soundcloud.com/alfafirefox/punch-in-the-face-metalmachine

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 26 2011, 10:06 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (WeePee @ Dec 26 2011, 01:59 PM) *
All right I'm moving this up again 'cos I re-mixed this.
Now with new Drum vst Metal Machine from Toontrack.

It's really updated version of Drums From Hell.
Also added more fills and replaced some drum parts,

What do you think ? wink.gif

http://soundcloud.com/alfafirefox/punch-in-the-face-metalmachine

Awesome! So what do you think of this new vst? I was wanting to get it some day. Is it just more drum samples, or does it actually sound better? I'm wondering about the patterns and the kick drum. smile.gif
Brandon

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Dec 26 2011, 10:45 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 27 2011, 01:06 AM) *
Awesome! So what do you think of this new vst? I was wanting to get it some day. Is it just more drum samples, or does it actually sound better? I'm wondering about the patterns and the kick drum. smile.gif
Brandon

It has John Tempesta heavy, mid and fast grooves.

Example 155 to 210 bpm under "fast grooves".

So basically you can build whole song easy.

But It isn't much comparing to DfH patterns but the sounds are awesome. Especially kick drum and snare are really good. cool.gif

This post has been edited by WeePee: Dec 26 2011, 10:47 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:30 PM