> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 36 37 38 39 40 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Jun 15 2016, 04:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

So shall we re-group and re-start with my lessons?
Maybe I have never made my ideas clear to you, maybe at first I didn't really know what I wanted or why, if that makes sense.
The big problem I can see with learning official songs on here is the copyright issue. Personally, if it is down to cost, I think it would be great to have a "Membership Plus" account where you pay some more to access to a special section of official classic song lessons, I don't know how much it would cost GMC to cover the license to do this but I think it would be great.
I don't trust TAB on the internet, my ear isn't good enough to hear what I should be playing and ten songs would mean ten tab books because they are always a whole album.
Anyway, let's play it by ear (excuse the pun) and see what develops.
Cheers buddy.
Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2016, 04:51 PM
Instructor
That's not a problem. There are lots of resources that we can use to learn your favourite songs. I can help you to find the right tabs for the songs that you'd like to work.

We will also work with fixed deadlines that will work as University exams, if you don't pass, we don't advance, we set a second "call" that would be the last one along this course. If you don't pass it we have some kind of penalty that could consist on stopping the mentoring work for 1 month.

I know that this can sound "hard" but what do we lose by trying?

Please take some time to think on this, and if you think that you are ready to try this, we'll start.

PS: About being clear with goals. Maybe you wasn't sure about your goals, or you had different ones in the past. I feel that these new goals are totally clear and reasonable so I got the inspiration to create a new plan for you to achieve them. We won't be rushing or hurrying up, we will be focusing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 15 2016, 08:34 PM
I'm ready Gab, Thank you this initiative smile.gif

Maybe we can kill two birds with one stone here and cover the theory behind the progression and the lead parts and also cover any "incorrect" notes/chords. Obviously not immediately but over time as I get further into the song.

Eventually I would like to be able to piece this together as if playing live, what I mean is, working out how to fit in the lead guitar fills that occur here and there as if I was the only guitarist on stage.

I also need to fit in learning the minor pentatonic shapes too.

I also haven't had chance to do any of Todd's bootcamp lessons yet but I think I should spend some time on this each night unless you think otherwise. I'd also like to try and keep in with Todd's Saturday Shred Challenge and the creativity workshop and also if a collab comes up that I fancy, mind you, they have seemed a little bit too advanced for me lately.

So would the penalty mean that I wouldn't get any help at all for a month on the chosen song alone or my complete mentoring on all aspects?

You would need to remember I don't always have weekends free and sometimes the occasional week night I don't get chance to practice for whatever reason may crop up.

I don't mind a hard teacher so long as they are fair and understanding of my time restraints. Most nights at the moment I can grab 90 minutes. This will have to include any recording and/or video editing so maybe it might be best to keep that for weekends only rather than most nights, unless I feel I have gone beyond what is required by you and feel it is productive to record a video.

Maybe I could give you a daily log of hours I managed to spend practicing so you can get a true feel for progress/time spent? Maybe you could give me so many hours to do what you want and if I spend time on a collab or shred challend etc, I tell you how many hours I've spent on it so we can take it into account.

I am looking forward to this new approach, sometimes it is great to take something in a new direction, it stops things stagnating.

I have a couple of songs in mind that to me, sounds achievable but you may think otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT7oA-kb-Og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3I_YfcY48

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 16 2016, 12:10 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2016, 04:06 PM
Instructor
You'll receive news from me soon. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 16 2016, 05:34 PM
smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2016, 06:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, here we go with the new program!!

ASSIGNMENT #1:

Goals:

- Mastering 1 shape of minor Pentatonic
- Learning main riff of Rock Steady

Task 1: Learn this Pentatonic minor shape.

A minor pentatonic

Learn the shape related to this chord:

Learn and practice this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ntatonic-Scale/

Task 2: Learn the main riff of Rock Steady.

You can use this video (LINK), and search for tabs with google (feel free to send me a PM to check that the tabs are correct).

Exam and deadline:

By June 27 you'll have to share 3 videos:

- A video playing the lesson from the beginners corner at normal tempo. (4 coins)
- A second video playing the same lesson without backing track but transposed to E minor. (3 coins)
- A video playing the main riff of Rock Steady Song. (3 coins)

Each of this videos will be evaluated (check the coins value below). You need to get at least 7 coins to pass. If you pass, we can continue, if you don't you will have a second "call" that would be the last one.

Are you in? biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2016, 06:58 PM
Thank you so much Gab,

I am most definitely in. This looks like a great way to learn. I like deadlines that are reasonable, I get more than enough stress at work so I don't need to be stressed out worrying about a very tight deadline, my worklife is all impossible deadlines so I don't need it 24/7 laugh.gif A bit of pressure is good though.

When you say "you will have a second "call" that would be the last one." what would happen then? Do you throw me out of your army? sad.gif

Looking forward to it Gab, just hope I get time to do the other bits like Todd's bootcamp etc.

Thank you so much for your help, enthusiasm and dedication mate. It is greatly appreciated. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2016, 07:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 17 2016, 02:58 PM) *
When you say "you will have a second "call" that would be the last one." what would happen then? Do you throw me out of your army? sad.gif

Some kind of penalty. I don't have it defined, but it is related to stop this new program, and maybe the army's work for a lapse of time.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2016, 08:04 PM
Thanks Gab,

Maybe he punishment could be "Get outta here, I don't wanna see your horrible little face until you've learned what I told you to learn. GO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Just an idea wink.gif

Shall I refresh THIS lesson? I don't want you to think I am cheating by going over older material without telling you smile.gif Should I just carry on with the lesson format or would you like to change anything? I guess it would be ok to re-learn it, I still have to transpose it to E minor so it will be fine I think. Unless you think otherwise.

Cheers buddy.

UPDATE:

Been working on Rock Steady and the other stuff.
Recorded this. I just recorded with the metronome then I found a 100bpm drum track and synced it with the DAW time line. The timing of my playing sounds odd with the drums but it sounded better with just the metronome. I tried to play along with the Bad Co track but kept losng time completely. All the other bits going on put me off. I think the first chord is played as a grace note on beat 4 of the count in. On TAB Pro the metronome clicks twice and then it plays but looking at the tab it appears that the two fifth fret notes are played on beat for in the bar. I'm a little bit confused to be honest.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/rock-steady-take-1

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 19 2016, 09:50 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 19 2016, 08:42 PM
Hello Gab,

Please read reply above, it was too late to edit it to add this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjh515hkSQQ...eature=youtu.be

I know I came in too early but this sounds a whole lot better than with the drums. I was in Kris's live streaming today, I asked why I might be struggling to play along with the CD, one bloke said, "the song starts different then when the band kicks in:it start with the double stop and then the 2 pedal tones.when the band start the guitar start with the pedal tones" I don't understand it, maybe you will wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 20 2016, 08:50 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

About the lesson that you've already worked, let's keep it. It's ok to refresh it for this purpose. Maybe it can be a great idea is you can create a post with all the names of the lessons that you've worked and a link to the last take you did. It could be really helpful for me.

Regarding the riff, let's listen carefully to the original song, but when the drums are already playing. Listen how the riff related to the drum groove. Sing along the riff with the song and try to notice what the drummer is playing over each note of the riff. Then, play your own drum loop and sing the riff over it. The intro of the song (without drums) can be confusing by now, let's start with the drum part.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 20 2016, 09:17 PM
Thanks Gab,

Here are a couple of videos of the pentatonic lesson and a list of REC takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIPypXlNpGI...eature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AzdPuaad2I...eature=youtu.be

Here is a list of my REC takes showing only the last take of each.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52914
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52966
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=53397
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=54288
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=55151
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=56632

Cheers Gab

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 20 2016, 10:07 PM
Instructor
Perfect! Thanks!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 21 2016, 07:47 PM
Hello Gab,

I've been a total numb nuts. I've just wasted half an hour trying to get that tab into GP6 but it was no use as I don't know note lengths that you need to know to get the timing correct. I entered the tab but it wouldn't work because I don't know the first thing about music notation. THEN I remembered, I created that PDF from GuitarTabPro, it is similar to GP5/6 because it plays the tab. One of the versions of Rock Steady that is available has the bass and drums in it too, as well as other instruments, you can mute every instrument and just keep the metronome and guitar if you want so I will work with that for a couple of days.

This track is proving harder than expected, I listened to it about 10 times on my journey home this evening and I'm sure I can hear 3 open A notes before that 5th fret double stop. It must be something else in there playing with my head laugh.gif

So from now, what do you want me to do with the pentatonic lesson? I'll keep practising the Rock Steady rhythm.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

UPDATE:
OK, after playing this along with the Guitar Tab Pro I have realised two things. After the two A notes, the 5th fret double stop is on the off beat, (Am I correct?), in the bars where the 7th fret is played immediately before the 5th fret double stop the first 5th fret double stop in that bar is on the beat, (am I correct?)

This has also made me think that my head has been filling in the note just before the 5th fret double stop making me think it went, da, da, deda biggrin.gif

Here is a quick take I made to a backing track. I carried on the main riff through the chorus and the bit with hardly any playing just to see if I could keep it chugging along. It starts off a little shaky but I do get into it a bit after a couple of bars. I can hear it's not spot on but I think it is an improvement now I understand what's happening (I think unsure.gif )

Must improve the tone too.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/rock-steady-take-3

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 21 2016, 10:14 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 22 2016, 05:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Good job, the riff is closer. Check out that the two open A notes are playing tight but the double stop on 5th fret is not precise regarding timing. It's close but not tight.

About the pentatonic lesson, please work on it and record it as suggested in the assignment. I know that you've learnt it in the past, but this is a new beginning. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 22 2016, 05:26 PM
Thanks Gab,

I know my Rock Steady rig isn't tight but I think it is a big improvement smile.gif I will be working hard on it. I think it also sounds kind of, nervous and timid, almost twitchy, I guess that's just not getting the groove yet and feeling relaxed with it.

Regarding the pentatonic lesson. I don't know if you missed this post above but I recorded it as Bear plays it and also in E minor as you requested. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=733874 that's why I asked what you want me to do with it now? Polish it?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 22 2016, 06:41 PM
Instructor
Ahh! Now I got it! I thought those were old videos. laugh.gif

Now we are talking. Well so you've covered most of the assignment 5 days before the deadline! That's great! smile.gif

During the remaining days please work on the riff from Rock Steady and let's add a bonus track:

- Learn some of these licks and practice them over the backing track:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/15-Blues-Licks/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 22 2016, 09:36 PM
Thank Gab,

I will work up to playing the Rock Steady riff over the studio track, I will play the same riff all the way through to see how my timing holds steady with the quiet parts and the chorus. Do you think this is a good way of training rhythm even though the track itself changes the rhythm pattern and has parts without much drum beat to follow?

I'll practise some of those licks in the blues lesson. Is there a reason there are no D# in shape two? Or is this an error? Or is it just because he doesn't use D# in the licks that use that shape?

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 23 2016, 08:19 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 23 2016, 02:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 22 2016, 05:36 PM) *
Thank Gab,

I will work up to playing the Rock Steady riff over the studio track, I will play the same riff all the way through to see how my timing holds steady with the quiet parts and the chorus. Do you think this is a good way of training rhythm even though the track itself changes the rhythm pattern and has parts without much drum beat to follow?

yes, it's a good way if you can be sure that you are playing the riff with the correct timing.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 22 2016, 05:36 PM) *
I'll practise some of those licks in the blues lesson. Is there a reason there are no D# in shape two? Or is this an error? Or is it just because he doesn't use D# in the licks that use that shape?

Cheers buddy.

D# is an added note to the A minor Pentatonic, called "blue note" and can always be added to give a bluesy flavor.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 23 2016, 08:25 PM
Thanks Gab,

This is a great way to learn music. Learning something you actually know and like. I'm also discovering how the instruments interact with each other and how the gaps in music aren't just random like at 2:24.

Anyway, I've had to create an mp3 because soundcloud wouldn't allow it. I played all the way through with the same riff. A shaky start as usual, let's hope I can overcome that smile.gif I played it entirely with my eyes closed to try to get the feel, I felt myself pulling some funny faces laugh.gif

I am panned hard right.

Attached File  Rock_Steady_Take_4_studio.mp3 ( 8.65MB ) Number of downloads: 90

Cheers buddy. Working on the blues riffs too.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 23 2016, 08:27 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 36 37 38 39 40 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:26 PM