Anti-tidal Video :)
Mertay
Apr 23 2015, 07:25 PM
GMC:er
https://www.facebook.com/Decodedmagazine/vi...640160/?fref=nf

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 24 2015, 10:56 AM
Instructor
Ok, I got myslef laught for a while biggrin.gif I do notblame people for having such an insane income but still it's sad how "regular" people still live in that "what's in TV is good" state of mind. Madonna, Jack White - tru artists...no doubt and respect. I only wish people would take a bit more attention to support musicinas for the local areas etc. Musicians who are true artists as well and hardly keep their monthly budget on the "survive" level.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 24 2015, 11:15 AM
Remember that torrent site napster many years ago that was sued and closed?

MP3's just started to be pirated online was web got fast and affordable enough and the discussion went on maybe for a year, even listeners were punished for having pirated music in their computers.

Some artists were giving positive messages as music should be free while I clearly remember Metallica was against it, they weren't independent at the time as probably they did that cause the record company wanted them to (even they were slaves of the industry).

It didn't work for their careers and similar videos were made, the language is pretty strong I won't share here but just search "metallica napster" on youtube smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 24 2015, 10:00 PM
I'm with ya wink.gif Who cares if the hyper rich ever get a dime again. But the "little guy" is sorta getting crushed in the middle. Now that music is considered a free resource, it's nearly impossible to charge anything for it at all. Makes it tough to earn money on the small scale for sure smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 24 2015, 05:56 AM) *
Ok, I got myslef laught for a while biggrin.gif I do notblame people for having such an insane income but still it's sad how "regular" people still live in that "what's in TV is good" state of mind. Madonna, Jack White - tru artists...no doubt and respect. I only wish people would take a bit more attention to support musicinas for the local areas etc. Musicians who are true artists as well and hardly keep their monthly budget on the "survive" level.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 25 2015, 06:19 PM
Here's a long but pretty great blog post ...

"I can't get an Apple Watch, but every celebrity known to man has been seeded one to
make them look cool. Who's using who? And if you think it's the musicians who are coming
out ahead, you own no Apple stock.

Used to be different. Players weren't rich. They were in it for the dope, the sex, the
hang and the music. It was a lifestyle. What did Donald Fagen sing in "Deacon
Blues"..."I cried when I wrote this song, sue me if I play too long"?
There are no blues in popular music today. No one's crying, unless it's about the loss of
recorded music revenue as they charge a zillion dollars for a ticket.

Once again, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEsJqtiU-2A

In it you'll see how rich Jay Z and Madonna and the rest of the Tidalites truly are.
Turns your stomach, makes you lose sympathy.

Ever know any bluebloods?

I certainly did. Back in Connecticut. They wore chinos and Topsiders and drove old Fords,
they didn't flaunt their wealth, it was unseemly. Now it's all about showing how rich you
are. Then again, a lot of the techies don't. Zuck wears a hoodie and doesn't brag about
flying private, that's for the "artists."

No wonder no one believes in them.

That's the Tidal story. It's got nothing to do with streaming and everything to do with
income inequality. Once upon a time it was about forming a tribe, a fan base, people who
heard your music and followed you everywhere. No one wanted to follow anybody to Tidal.
Why?

The story was completely missed by the media. Because the goal is to write a book and go
on a lecture tour. Used to be writers were outsiders who were in it for the alcohol and
the truth. Now they're wannabe stars themselves, who don't want to offend anyone on their
way up.

Once the artist is divorced from his fan base, he's screwed.

Your fans are all you've got. Life is long. You want them in your pocket after your hits
dry up. And they will. No one has ever sustained.

But the players play on.

The classic rockers didn't know there was that much money in it. Go back and read the
interviews. Ringo figured he'd become a hairdresser, everybody was out on a lark, having
fun before their real lives began. No one thought being a rock musician was a role you
could play to the end of your days.

But today Ringo hypes Skechers.

Explain this to me Mr. Starkey... Do you want to buy a baseball team? Don't you have
enough cash? Or are we supposed to believe you just want the rest of the world to be
turned on to a great product.

But that's food. Something evanescent that everybody's talking about. Remember chefs? The
unheralded nobodies? Then they were in the right place at the right time and they became
rich and famous. The stardom comes AFTER!

But today everybody believes it comes before.

They want to be famous, they want to be rich.

They don't want to be musicians.

A musician is someone who practices, ALONE! Explain that to today's social media
darlings.

And a musician is someone who is oftentimes ignored. Sometimes for his entire career. And
a musician never bitches he can't get paid, he's privileged to be playing.

But not today! Today everybody with a YouTube clip feels entitled to be wealthy. They'll
spam you to watch and complain if you don't. As if everybody could make it. What, are we
living in Lake Wobegon?

How about saying no. How about ending the fashion parade and the ghost writes and sitting
down and hammering it out yourself. How about testing limits and blowing our minds.

But that can't happen. That's too hard. It might piss somebody off. Remember the Dixie
Chicks?

AT LEAST WE DO!

Most of their contemporaries have faded in the rearview mirror. Because if you don't
stand for something, you stand for nothing.

We want people who stand for something. We're a nation of followers looking for leaders.

They used to be musicians.

No longer."

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 25 2015, 07:05 PM
Thats kind of sad sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 25 2015, 07:54 PM
I get it, that being a "Musician" is about the music. Not money/fame/etc. But it also used to be about being able to craft a living, if even a small one, from years of practicing enough to get good enough to be worth being heard by people other than one's self and sadly, it's the middle that's been chopped out which is why so many struggling musicians are struggling much harder despite having more exposure.

However, like any field, "music" is an ever moving target in terms of monetization. So it really is up to the "Musician" to find new ways to monetize. Nobody is gonna do it for us anymore wink.gif

But, seeing "Tidal" sorta makes me ill. At that level, these people should be giving back rather than trying to suck more in.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 25 2015, 09:12 PM
I started playing music 'out' when I was 15 years old (parties and community/civic events). I have done music for money all my life. I have also had 'day jobs' here and there, especially when I was just starting out.
I like to work and I like having some money. I realized it's necessity very early. I wanted to buy guitars and a car (my parents were both public school teachers so ... ).

It has NEVER been easy for an artist of any kind to make a living. There's a great quote that states, "an artist is a member of the leisured class that cannot afford his leisure".
The modern classical composer and film scorer Phillip Glass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Glass worked day gigs up into his 40s. Today he is easily the most successful late 20th cent/early 21st cent composer.
McCoy Tyner, pianist with the John Coltrane trio (A Love Supreme era), drove a taxi for a little while when that band ended.
Graham Parsons, considered (now) to be one of the preeminent 'Americana' songwriters had a huge trust fund.
It goes on and on. A lot of cats married well. Most of these guys all 'stood for something' believed in something, had something to say (beyond BS sentimentality of BS nationalism) and were cognizant enough to either take advantage of their good fortune or toil away in obscurity ... with out bitching about it. Because that's the way it is and know that going in.
My point being, as one who has done it in the 'old days' as well as the new/now days, ... very few could truly make a living. Even fewer got rich.

The biggest difference is that now, the cost of living is considerably higher - even adjusted for inflation.
Up until the mid 90s you could play maybe two or three gigs a week and a session here and there and make your monthly nut ... with some cash to save or spare ... in Los Angeles (which includes having a car and all the expenses that go along with it). Or, you could have a day gig at the record store part time and make enough to survive to work on your music. Not now! *That, to me, is the real modern tragedy - you can't survive on a part-time job and still have time do your art. And I feel that discourages a lot of folks. Though there are always those that will find away - which is awesome and heartening.

'Tidal' won't even be a footnote of history.
Cest la vie.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 25 2015, 09:21 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 26 2015, 08:41 AM
Well said!! You are spot on. The real tragedy is the stagnant wages in this country for the last 50 years. It has gutted the middle class and made it all the more difficult for "artists/musicians" to make any sort of living. Still, it's a noble goal I honestly feel to strive to create things. So we all must fight on smile.gif And yeah, tidal is a zit on the butt of the music biz. Hope it burns.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 25 2015, 04:12 PM) *
I started playing music 'out' when I was 15 years old (parties and community/civic events). I have done music for money all my ..
'Tidal' won't even be a footnote of history.
Cest la vie.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:45 PM