Patronising Music Store?, Are there others?
Becca
May 13 2014, 07:42 PM
GMC:er
Grrrr! mad.gif mad.gif I just got home from work and I cannot believe what a colleague told me happened to his fifteen year old son at the weekend. This lad has been playing guitar since he was eleven. Started at school and has kept going since. His dad tells me he is getting really good and is now in the school band. Good for him. I am always pleased to see youngsters who are keen to improve their skill levels.
We know how much hard graft and determination it takes, don't we?
Anyway he has had an electric guitar now since Christmas ,and has been saving his pocket money and cash from his weekend job in the kitchen of a pub near his house to buy an effect pedal. His Dad didn't know what it was called but by his description, it sounds like the EHX Freeze pedal. The one that keeps a note going as long as you like? yeah? That one.
He went into the town where he lives to the music store on the Saturday morning before he went to work. The dude behind the counter was on the computer so the boy waited politely.
and waited.
And waited.
The guy knew he was there but totally ignored him. The lad said "excuse m......" but the guy cut him short by holding his hand up to him to stop while he continued to stare at the screen.
Eventually he turned away from the laptop and said "Yes". My colleague describes the tone of voice he used as the same as if you were rolling your eyeballs skywards.
The lad asked if he could see the Freeze pedal.
The guy pointed at it through the glass counter he was sat behind. "There it is".
By now the lad said he felt really humiliated by this guy, but he persisted any way. "I would like to try it out, please."
The guy refused to let him try it.
I will say that again.
The guy refused to let him try the pedal.
The boy had enough of this jerk by now and said "never mind. I'll get it online instead".
As he left, the guy said "real musicians know what they are buying".
Implying, I think that we don't need to try goods before parting with our cash.
Now, I find this story shocking.
I can't believe someone with a business would talk down to a customer like that.
My local music store was great. They always had time for everyone, even the youngsters and beginners. ESPECIALLY the youngsters and beginners.
I hope you lot are as cross as I am for that lad.
Have any of you been treated like this?
Have I just been lucky with my music stores and is this the norm?
Please let me know what you think.
Peace people,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:56 PM