Dava Control Picks: My Thoughts
iamblackmo
Sep 4 2009, 09:14 AM
GMC:er
While I was on a search to rid myself of Jazz III's because they were too dificult to remain animated and play correctly standing up with them: I went on a search for picks and I received some suggestions from this forum.

First off: I switched to a thicker 1.5 mm Tortex which I loved until I found the 2.0 mm tortex.

At the same time a bought several packs of various picks, including the Dava's.

Let me just say: For someone who likes a thick pick, these are wonderful.

I was assuming the came in different gauges but the pack I had contained rock picks and apparently, depending where you hold them, you can modify the resistance.

I can find a hundred uses for these. They are comfortable. The seem fairly durable. You have a wide range of sounds with them.

I can see these being part of my collection for time to come.

I am in love with my black tortex 2.00 mm though, I wish I did not play with Jazz III's for so long.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 4 2009, 03:17 PM
Instructor
Glad you found your new perfect pick! smile.gif I've found my new pick some weeks ago as well (but mostly because my previous perfect pick wasn't available in the store biggrin.gif )

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 4 2009, 03:23 PM
Instructor
I never tried the Davas...
I should give them a try..
I've been using V-Picks small pointed for the last year or so and love them!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 4 2009, 03:33 PM
I have some dava master control picks here and ... I'm indifferent. I think the amount of space for the "hard" grip isn't quite enough for my hand. The concept is, in all other ways, pretty awesome and they ARE comfortable to use! I've just had better personal experience with my jazz III's and (lately) the dunlop big stubby models.

The hinge of the dava is really smart though, just wish it was hinged a little farther away from the point.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Sep 4 2009, 04:36 PM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Sep 4 2009, 10:33 AM) *
I have some dava master control picks here and ... I'm indifferent. I think the amount of space for the "hard" grip isn't quite enough for my hand. The concept is, in all other ways, pretty awesome and they ARE comfortable to use! I've just had better personal experience with my jazz III's and (lately) the dunlop big stubby models.

The hinge of the dava is really smart though, just wish it was hinged a little farther away from the point.

Yea, the Dava wont be replacing my normal pick any time soon. I like to play with different picks depending on the feeling but I have just been going to thicker and thicker picks.

David, I was interested in the V-Picks, more likely a variety of the picks they offer. I did not see like a grab bag of the different variations they offer; but, I did see your mean grill on the front page!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 4 2009, 04:42 PM
I can't find the v-picks locally (I looked some time ago) so I've been thinking about checking e-bay for those. They look really nice to use.

--------------------

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Sep 4 2009, 04:45 PM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Sep 4 2009, 11:42 AM) *
I can't find the v-picks locally (I looked some time ago) so I've been thinking about checking e-bay for those. They look really nice to use.

You can order them right from there site can't you?

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 4 2009, 04:52 PM
QUOTE (iamblackmo @ Sep 4 2009, 10:45 AM) *
You can order them right from there site can't you?

It didn't look like it, actually, but rather a list of retailers that carry them. I'll check again... btw, wasn't this thread about the dava picks? smile.gif

I also picked up a steel (or nickel/steel?) tipped dava pick that I didn't like much. The standard dava control picks seem better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 4 2009, 05:25 PM
Jazz Instructor
Man Jazz are best picks in the world, those Dava must awesome then...

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Sep 4 2009, 06:11 PM
QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Sep 4 2009, 12:25 PM) *
Man Jazz are best picks in the world, those Dava must awesome then...

Actually, they did not replace my Jazz III's, the tortex 1.5 and 2.00 mm picks did. I just took Muris' advice and picked up a wide variety when I was at the guitar shop.

Out of the 6 different packs I bought. I am only really comfortable with the Tortex and when I wanted something with some less resistance, I liked the Dava. It is just a different feeling.

But quitting the Jazz III was probably the hardest thing in my guitar career. I was so used to them that it took a while to be comfortable in all manners of play with the larger, flat picks

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Sep 5 2009, 01:06 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Good to hear! I recently tried the Jazz III's and like them quite a bit, although they are small. I tried the V-picks, but was having too much "chirping" with them...maybe I am doing something wrong!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
jdriver
Sep 5 2009, 07:28 AM
On a side note... the man who owns/is Dava Picks lives in Albuquerque and is one of the judges in our local Guitar Center King of the Blues contest. I'm assuming he will be back for the store finals next week.

For each of the 3 rounds so far, he gave each contestant a pack of Dava picks.

I did not know but he also co-invented the Kahler Locking tremolo.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 20 2009, 11:27 AM
QUOTE (jdriver @ Sep 5 2009, 07:28 AM) *
I did not know but he also co-invented the Kahler Locking tremolo.

Give him my thanks then!!!
I've just got some of the Dava Control and am quite liking them!!
Secondly, I used to have those Kahlers installed on all my Dean Superstrats! Best Locking Tremolo around at the time!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:01 PM