Dorian Trash Metal Collaboration, UPLOADS & COMMENTS THREAD
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 5 2009, 08:23 PM
Instructor
Here you can post your takes, and I will comment on them after that

Here's the backing

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 19 2009, 05:29 AM
GMC:er
Something really interesting going on with this track, Ivan. I'm going 1/8 and then 1/16 and yet something about the pace (?) of the double time in drums (which sure sounds like it would become 1/16) feels like ... well, like triplets.

Am I counting it right and just hearing it wrong?

Well anyway, working on this tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 23 2009, 02:31 PM
Instructor
It's regular 1/16 feel in the second part I think..

Waiting for the post then! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Sep 25 2009, 09:00 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Kind of empty in this thread unsure.gif

Anyway, here's my take.. a LOT of step-recording laugh.gif sad.gif didn't have time to practice the licks properly, the tempo is exactly on the top of my AP speed (triplets).

Edit: I made a GP file for fun smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dexxter: Sep 25 2009, 09:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 26 2009, 06:11 PM
Instructor
Dexxter:

Rhythm: great figures, not one note off in the whole take and all played with perfect timing, probably due to the fact that you had guitar pro. Really well done for this one. I like the intro, and all the rhythmical phrases in both parts, but I think somewhere after the start of the second part you had some longer notes that kinda outbalanced the rhythmical structure a bit.
Phrasing: Great sense for the phrases, specially in the first part of the take, where melodies interact with each other in a very cool way using some fast passages. In that second part there is again that problematic part that is lacking a bit of a structure and connection with the rest of the solo. My general impression regarding your phrasing on this one was that all the phrases was nicely fitted and perfectly played, but they lack some degree connection so they don't sound phrase-after-phrase like. However, by listening to your take, I definitely didn't get the impression that you were playing lick after lick, the connection is there, I just feel the connection could be a bit stronger.
Technique: You displayed a variety of techniques here, and all of them were perfectly used to execute the notes flawlessly. There are only 1 or 2 week notes in the whole take, and the only thing I would like to hear more is the use of a wider more aggressive vibrato more often.
Sound: Great sound that cuts well, and doesn't suffer from any problems regarding buzzing. The amount of overdrive is just about enough, and space is great. Nothing to add here, very good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Sep 27 2009, 10:03 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 26 2009, 07:11 PM) *
Dexxter:

Rhythm: great figures, not one note off in the whole take and all played with perfect timing, probably due to the fact that you had guitar pro. Really well done for this one. I like the intro, and all the rhythmical phrases in both parts, but I think somewhere after the start of the second part you had some longer notes that kinda outbalanced the rhythmical structure a bit.
Phrasing: Great sense for the phrases, specially in the first part of the take, where melodies interact with each other in a very cool way using some fast passages. In that second part there is again that problematic part that is lacking a bit of a structure and connection with the rest of the solo. My general impression regarding your phrasing on this one was that all the phrases was nicely fitted and perfectly played, but they lack some degree connection so they don't sound phrase-after-phrase like. However, by listening to your take, I definitely didn't get the impression that you were playing lick after lick, the connection is there, I just feel the connection could be a bit stronger.
Technique: You displayed a variety of techniques here, and all of them were perfectly used to execute the notes flawlessly. There are only 1 or 2 week notes in the whole take, and the only thing I would like to hear more is the use of a wider more aggressive vibrato more often.
Sound: Great sound that cuts well, and doesn't suffer from any problems regarding buzzing. The amount of overdrive is just about enough, and space is great. Nothing to add here, very good.

Thanks a lot smile.gif But I made the GP file after I had recorded the take wink.gif Thanks for comment and collab!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 28 2009, 09:48 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot for participating man, great playing! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 29 2009, 09:39 AM
GMC:er
So, this is pretty embarrassing. Lots of effort for a really poor result that I've been trying to talk myself out of uploading for a few days now. I apologize in advance to anyone brave enough to listen.

Attached File  IMMDTM_jafomatic_full.mp3 ( 1.74MB ) Number of downloads: 148

Attached File  IMMDTM_jafomatic_solo.mp3 ( 1.74MB ) Number of downloads: 153

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 29 2009, 11:49 AM
Instructor
Jafo:

Rhythm: Rhythmical structure has tighter connections between the phrases that it may appear at first glance. All the notes were carefully played, with minor timing problems in the beginning section of the second part. The dynamic build up was not executed effectively, and because of this the solo sounded flat. The reason for this is the use of too many similar rhythmical phrases in both takes. Despite of this, the second part indeed had somewhat faster sequences which can be considered a nice separation and build up from the first one. If it had some crucial elements implemented, like defining the transition between the parts better, and defining those faster passages towards the end to a bigger extent so they reach a proper climax, I think it would sound even better.
Phrasing: The phrasing used was excellent, with a very noticeable and straightforward structure of 4 big phrases in each section and more than cool overdubs. All 4 phrases in the first section were really good, and you found a way to balance them and develop them as the backing progressed. In the second part, the notes and the theme start to loose definition towards the end of the solo. All this decreases the effectiveness of the solo a lot, because the listener usually remembers the last part of the solo. Next time, I advise if you do have problems finishing up the last phrases, stop, rest, and come back the next day with a fresh idea in mind. The overdub the guitars carefully and recreate the end part so that really fuses with the solo, but also it wraps up the solo nicely.
Technique: Everything was played very good, with strong accent given on palm muting technique. The thing that I believe lack here is a good controlled vibrato, and some definition in those last phrases, so all the notes come out equally well. Everything else was really nice.
Sound: Overall tone was good. I listened both of your posts, and it sounded more defined to me while listening only to the soloed guitar track. This leads me to conclusion that amount of space used and relative lack of mids made guitar track a bit lost in the mix. Not too much, but I believe it could have better definition to some extent. I believe focusing guitars into 500-1500Hz region and cutting out other places (specially the low end) would make it a bit more tighter and mids-hi mids would be smoothed out and your palm muting and notes would get that pleasant "chunk" pronounced even more to let the notes jump out in the mix. Cutting down the space just a bit would help as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:36 PM