Looking For A Small Combo Amp For Fusion Tones
Vingh
Sep 16 2013, 01:01 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys!

Like the topic suggests I'm looking for a small combo amp for home usage that can deliver smooth fusion tones.
Just spent way too much money on a couple of guitars (a Suhr Pro M and a Fender Strat) so a cheaper amp would be perfect. I've got access to bigger amps when needed, but would like a tube amp that can be played at home without risking my life (the ol' wife) and can take pedals like a champ.

The tone I'm gunning for is something like GMC's Stephane Lucarelli, possibly some Tom Quayleish type of sound.
I'll use a few boutique overdrives to get the overdrive I need, so I guess i'm after a small amp with a really good clean tone.

I've been looking at the Fender Blues Junior a bit - do you think it'd do the job? Would probably mic it up and record a bit with it too. Other amp suggestions would be lovely too.

Sort of off-topic, but I'm also in need of a really nice delay pedal to go with the amp, so if you have any advice there too I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 16 2013, 01:07 PM
Instructor
Maybe a Fender blues junior? Nice dynamics and works well with external distortions.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 16 2013, 07:12 PM
Instructor
I would go for Fender, or Vox amps for this purpose. Both has a very warm sound and as Darius said work great with external distortions and fxs. You can then add a tub screamer and a delay and you will be 100% happy.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2013, 06:30 AM
I will defer to the Amp Gurus on this one!! Sounds like some good suggestions smile.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 17 2013, 07:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
I have a Vox Mini3 which I use for practice, and as far as bang for buck goes, it's pretty solid. They now how a newer version, the G2, but I'm not too sure what the upgrades are. Anyway, here's what it looks like:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 17 2013, 08:25 AM
Instructor
I bought cheap Mega Amp - You hear it at video chats. Also it has good dynamics so the practice is worth doing (need more strength to sound good in case of picking) but to be honest I spend most of the time with Poulin plug-ins while recording so even though I'm a real amp fan (use those all the time), at home I enjoy profits of using plug-ins in the real time mode.

+Quote Post
Vingh
Sep 17 2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks a lot for the input, guys!

I usually plug the guitar into the computer and use my Scuffham S-gear for practising (and some recording too for that matter), but there's just something magical about a "proper" amp. I guess it could partly be because i play through a hifi system (i don't have any studio monitors. yet.).

If i wasn't on a budget at the moment i guess i should've looked at a pair of good monitors and a kemper/axefx, but... Yeah, that's not where i am right now. Two new guitars and a newborn baby. No expensive toys for me right now. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2013, 03:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vingh @ Sep 17 2013, 08:57 AM) *
Thanks a lot for the input, guys!

I usually plug the guitar into the computer and use my Scuffham S-gear for practising (and some recording too for that matter), but there's just something magical about a "proper" amp. I guess it could partly be because i play through a hifi system (i don't have any studio monitors. yet.).

If i wasn't on a budget at the moment i guess i should've looked at a pair of good monitors and a kemper/axefx, but... Yeah, that's not where i am right now. Two new guitars and a newborn baby. No expensive toys for me right now. smile.gif

Ok, so go for one of those amps. My suggestion is that you go to the instruments store and try them by yourself and get the one that you like more. Try them before buying! It's very important.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 20 2013, 09:24 AM
Instructor
Hey mate - if the budget would've allowed it, a Cornford, would've been nice and Darius here owns one, if I am not mistaken, so he could tell you more. All I can say, is that if you go for that Fender one, you should try it and see if it delivers. It goes for any other amp you will desire to buy - take YOUR guitars and play them through it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Sep 21 2013, 10:09 AM
I use a Vox Valvetronix VT 20+ and it offers an infinite number of sounds and its loud:

The Top(which is a VT 120+ but the VT 20+ has all the same knobs and buttons etc!)
Attached Image

The Front :
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Sep 21 2013, 10:47 AM

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 21 2013, 03:29 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
For a pure tube amp with nice tone, no belsl and whistles, vox ac4 smile.gif
I love it.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Vingh
Sep 22 2013, 04:44 PM
Decisions, decisions... I think Laney has a small 5W amp called Lionheart that's supposed to be really good too. Anyone tried that one? I've played lots of Fenders but only a few Laneys.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 23 2013, 07:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vingh @ Sep 22 2013, 03:44 PM) *
Decisions, decisions... I think Laney has a small 5W amp called Lionheart that's supposed to be really good too. Anyone tried that one? I've played lots of Fenders but only a few Laneys.

I have a friend who owns one and he is somewhat of a fusion player smile.gif A mix of classical inspired and fusion player, being keen on artists such as Jeff Beck or Eric Johnson. He is very fond of it out of what I know..

+Quote Post
Vingh
Sep 27 2013, 06:22 AM
After lots of consideration and trying out amps i decided on the Laney. It just felt more versatile and better sounding in my ears. I even managed to find a used one that I'm gonna go pick up later today.

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 27 2013, 08:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vingh @ Sep 27 2013, 05:22 AM) *
After lots of consideration and trying out amps i decided on the Laney. It just felt more versatile and better sounding in my ears. I even managed to find a used one that I'm gonna go pick up later today.

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated!

Good choice man - now, it'd be swell if you would share pics in this thread and might be some sounds after you buy it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Vingh
Sep 27 2013, 08:35 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 27 2013, 07:23 AM) *
Good choice man - now, it'd be swell if you would share pics in this thread and might be some sounds after you buy it wink.gif

Will do, chief, will do. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 27 2013, 09:00 AM
Instructor
Looking forward to it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:51 PM