Before I Go Crazy :d, Help me choosing an amp ...
xplicit97
Jun 16 2009, 09:55 AM
GMC:er
Hello GMC's members !

After 2 years of dedication spent playing on this...»amp»
http://www.thomann.de/fr/harley_benton_hb40r.htm
Time as come for me to change it.
I'm looking for a much more precise Dist channel without
those annoying noises which get me really angry now biggrin.gif
I've been searching on the existing topics, but couldn't find the information I needed.
I hope you will help me before I get crazy with all the existing products !!
After listening to samples and tests on the net, I've banished marshall amps (in those price,low quality to many people, the MG series) Peavey and fender (for their « dirty » sound), but any suggestion is welcome ! The budget is 300 € (more or less 380 $). Here is the list I've made !

COMBOS :
Laney LV 100
http://www.woodbrass.com/AMPLI+GUITARE+LAN...V100+-+SERIE+LV
Laney LX 65 R
http://www.woodbrass.com/AMPLI+GUITARE+LAN...X65R+-+SERIE+LX
Line 6 spider III 30
http://www.woodbrass.com/AMPLI+GUITARE+LIN...-+SPIDER+III+30

Also, if it's possible to play only on Head amps (if this is a stupid question, please tell me biggrin.gif)
I mean if the sound is good even withou canibet ^^(I would buy it later...)
HEADS :

Laney LV 300
http://www.thomann.de/fr/laney_lv300head.htm
Line 6 spider HD 75
http://www.thomann.de/fr/line6_spider_iii_hd_75.htm

If you want to help me, Here are some more information
I've been playing for 2 years
I already got distortion pedals :
BOSS DS 1 and Digitech RP 350
I like to play metal songs which sounds like Nightwish, Angra, or japanese bands like
Versailles, Hizaki, or Galneryus (I know I ain't got the level lol, but that's the sound which moves me!) So I like clear sound! Even with distortion ^^
I sometimes jam with friends, but amps superior to 60 watts might be too powerfull right ^^
Anyway, Hope you'll be able to save me from headache !
And Thanks for reading wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2009, 01:16 PM
Instructor
This looks like a nice options to me. You don't even need the RP anymore you can sell it and add it to the amp budget. I think DS1 is not needed as well.

http://www.thomann.de/fr/kustom_hv65.htm

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Jun 16 2009, 04:26 PM
it's not possible to play a guitar head without a cabinet as the head has no speaker so no you shouldn't just get a head. I'd recommend the Peavy Vypyr 30/75

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 16 2009, 05:47 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I can recommend Blackstar HT5. You can play the head with headphones and no cab plugged in. But a cheaper alternative is to go for the combo and not have to worry about getting a cab afterwards.
Clean to screaming metal, your choise!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 17 2009, 12:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 16 2009, 06:47 PM) *
I can recommend Blackstar HT5. You can play the head with headphones and no cab plugged in. But a cheaper alternative is to go for the combo and not have to worry about getting a cab afterwards.
Clean to screaming metal, your choise!

Blackstart HT5 can be played without cab plugged in? How did they do that? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 17 2009, 12:36 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 17 2009, 01:23 PM) *
Blackstart HT5 can be played without cab plugged in? How did they do that? smile.gif

Beats me, I had to ask in the store where I got it if they were really really really sure about it. And they said yes so I have to trust that biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 17 2009, 12:45 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Without a cab -

a dummy load is switched in to the circuit so the amp sees that as the speaker and doesn't blow the tubes. There are several amps and heads that can do this, usually for recording, Engl make some as do Mesa and I think Fender.

If it doesn't specifically say it can do this though DO NOT try and run your amp without speakers attached as you can seriously damage your amp.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 17 2009, 01:40 PM
Instructor
I wasn't aware that they integrate dummy load into amps, that is a great option. Suppose a speaker cab fails during a gig or something? Amp will follow in minutes. This is a great way to keep them safe, I don't understand why aren't everybody integrating them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 17 2009, 02:26 PM
Cheers tony wink.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 17 2009, 02:28 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Ivan it's only available on a few amps though and most of them are ones that are designed both for live and studio recording. They have a dummy load/speaker emulation circuit so that you can record direct from the amp without having to have it hooked to an external cab/speaker and so can run the amp hot but not blast your head off with the volume biggrin.gif . AFAIK though none will auto switch the load in if a speaker cab fails so sadly it isn't there to protect the amp in that sort of situation sad.gif . Would be great if they did though.

Apart from Micke's the other ones that can do this that I know of are the Engl 530 Preamp (and I guess the other 540/560 ones) and the Mesa rack preamp. I think the Fender recording amps may well let you do this as well.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
xplicit97
Jun 18 2009, 07:13 PM
On your advice, I've tried the Blackstar combo, but it was not really the sound I wanted.
Eventually I ordered my LANEY LV 100 and I got it today.
It just sounds great (even to my beginner ears) and the sound I get
from my Cort X 11 on clean setting is just amazing.
Still I'm not very satisfied with the distortion, which lacks of power
(to my butcher ears this time biggrin.gif)
So I pluged my DS 1 and in the end, my good old friend
RP 350 saved me from deception.
I'm very satisfied with this Laney amplifier, I wish you could try it
and tell me if you agree but...
I also wanted to know if I could plug my DS 1 on the distortion channel
to get even more destortion or if I had to invest in a metal zone or uber metal pedal,
even though my RP 350 is quite good wink.gif
Thx for your reply GMC members wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:32 AM