2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Does My Left Hand Ok For Playing Pentatonic Scale
WillHuang
Jul 30 2011, 09:02 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

I was just uploaded an video that is what I playing a Pentatonic Scale.

http://youtu.be/bEHIXGprESA

The sound is not clean when I play faster. Does my left hand style is ok? Should I adjust something? Or I have to train my right hand to mute strings? If I playing fast, how can I mute each string after I played.

BR,
Will

by the way, how to embed YouTube video within the post?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Will
A Newbie Guitarist
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 30 2011, 09:20 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (WillHuang @ Jul 30 2011, 10:02 PM) *
by the way, how to embed YouTube video within the post?

the link would be the part after watch?v=

enter the following (without the blanks)

[ youtube ]bEHIXGprESA&feature=youtu.be[ /youtube ]

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
WillHuang
Jul 30 2011, 09:28 PM
I've got it. Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
Will
A Newbie Guitarist

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 30 2011, 09:31 PM
Instructor
Your fingering is OK, and yes,you should practice right hand palm muting !
Look this lesson : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/palm-m...workout-lesson/ !

About embedding : go to YT video> share> embed ! copy and paste it here wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
WillHuang
Jul 30 2011, 09:37 PM
I was just saw https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/palm-m...workout-lesson/. His right hand looks like not touching/muting other string when playing current string. Is this a "left-hand" skill?

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jul 30 2011, 08:31 PM) *
Your fingering is OK, and yes,you should practice right hand palm muting !
Look this lesson : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/palm-m...workout-lesson/ !

About embedding : go to YT video> share> embed ! copy and paste it here wink.gif

--------------------
Will
A Newbie Guitarist

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 30 2011, 09:37 PM
Instructor
it looks good to me, maybe you can show us what it sounds like when playing it faster, but at this speed it's just fine

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
WillHuang
Jul 30 2011, 09:41 PM
My WebCAM is kinda sucks which can't record faster playing which mean you can't see the detail when I playing faster. mad.gif

QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jul 30 2011, 08:37 PM) *
it looks good to me, maybe you can show us what it sounds like when playing it faster, but at this speed it's just fine

--------------------
Will
A Newbie Guitarist

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 30 2011, 09:48 PM
Looks clean and good, maybe just angle the guitar neck up a bit and move your thumb more middle of the neck (no pressure) to get better access and be able to stretch later on. Keep the fretboard hand using finger tips and try get as close to just behind the metal frets as possible.

Muting is the first major key to playing an electric guitar good. It can involve both hands, palm muting with the picking hand, finger muting and padding with the free fingers on the fretboard hand. Playing fast with muting is a challenge, but something that develops and becomes more natural with practice.

Think karate chop over the guitar bridge with the picking hand and gentle fold it over the strings, you can float when playing and drop it lightly when palm muting depending on how agressive you want it to sound. For scales and licks like this you won't use it too much, you can however also use it to fully mute the above strings or the previous string just played. Your free fingers or underside of the used fingers on the fretboard hand are more important in keeping the other strings quiet, just slightly pad them over normally the string below.

Build up speed slowly, focus more on reducing movement/distance rather than just going fast. Play till near breaking point and slow down till clean again, stop on playing cleanly rather than a mess.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 30 2011, 09:50 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 30 2011, 10:49 PM
Instructor
Good advice from Aaron! smile.gif you should also, take care on being as relaxed as possible when doing these exercises. The speed is a by product of accuracy and accuracy comes down from being relaxed and certain on your skills. Work out slowly until you can play correctly! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 31 2011, 10:34 AM
Instructor
This looks very good, well done! smile.gif

What I suggest is that you try to practice it a slower tempos than this. Like Cosmin said, you need to work on your accuracy on slower tempos. Try to cut down pauses in between the notes (those small pauses that you make when transferring). Only way to do this is to really slow down, and practice transferring the fingers between the notes with as little delay as possible.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
WillHuang
Jul 31 2011, 11:43 AM
In the Am Pentatonic Scale, when I play A -> C -> D , the A and C is on the 6th string, when I play D on the 5th string, the sound from 6th string is not yet muted. How could I mute it? Do I need to use my right hand or left hand? I don't know what's the correct way to mute it. sad.gif

--------------------
Will
A Newbie Guitarist

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 31 2011, 01:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WillHuang @ Jul 31 2011, 11:43 AM) *
In the Am Pentatonic Scale, when I play A -> C -> D , the A and C is on the 6th string, when I play D on the 5th string, the sound from 6th string is not yet muted. How could I mute it? Do I need to use my right hand or left hand? I don't know what's the correct way to mute it. sad.gif

A common mistake that some players make is to move their entire hand up or down over the strings. For example if they play on the high strings, they might move their entire wrist down to meet them when they don't need to.

Without playing, just put your hand on your guitar as if you were going to play a chord, like Emajor or Eminor... from that relaxed position, you should be able to angle your fingers down and slightly away from the strings to reach the G,B & E strings without moving your whole wrist position down and off of the bottom E.

Azzaboi's description of the 'Karate Chop' postion for muting is probably the best I've ever seen.

+Quote Post
WillHuang
Jul 31 2011, 04:46 PM
This is my practicing today. I do have tried to mute string from my right hand. I was using the palm of the right hand that near the wrist to slighly touch the string I want to mute. I don't is that correct or not. Here is the video recording below:

--------------------
Will
A Newbie Guitarist

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 31 2011, 04:53 PM
Instructor
Yeah that looks good Will. It's the side of your hand (the side of your little finger) that rests on the strings. It seems that you are doing it right. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 31 2011, 05:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (WillHuang @ Jul 31 2011, 05:46 PM) *
This is my practicing today. I do have tried to mute string from my right hand. I was using the palm of the right hand that near the wrist to slighly touch the string I want to mute. I don't is that correct or not. Here is the video recording below:

Yes this is sounding much better. You can hear how the tone is much cleaner when you utilize the muting technique.
I would suggest looking into playing smoother. You don't want to have "pauses" heard in between two notes (unless you want to play staccato). Try to have a fast and fluid transition from one note to the next one. This concerns the fretting hand.
I have made a lesson on this topic and even though it is a bass lesson - same concepts apply.
Check it out : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bass_F...o_and_Staccato/

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 31 2011, 05:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WillHuang @ Jul 31 2011, 10:46 AM) *

This is much cleaner now, good take, my only advice is, try to relax your left hand, right now it looks stiff and nervous, just go ahead and do it a million times biggrin.gif and it will easier/more natural.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
WillHuang
Jul 31 2011, 06:04 PM
million times !! See you next year ... laugh.gif

I was aware of the "pauses" problem and just don't know how to overcome this. Thank for your lesson. I'll watching it later on.

Do you mean the most of the electronic guitar licks are Legato-style?

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 31 2011, 04:28 PM) *
Yes this is sounding much better. You can hear how the tone is much cleaner when you utilize the muting technique.
I would suggest looking into playing smoother. You don't want to have "pauses" heard in between two notes (unless you want to play staccato). Try to have a fast and fluid transition from one note to the next one. This concerns the fretting hand.
I have made a lesson on this topic and even though it is a bass lesson - same concepts apply.
Check it out : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bass_F...o_and_Staccato/

--------------------
Will
A Newbie Guitarist

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 31 2011, 06:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (WillHuang @ Jul 31 2011, 07:04 PM) *
Do you mean the most of the electronic guitar licks are Legato-style?

It's not really like that. You just need to be able to play fluidly and connect notes smooth.
Legato technique on electric guitar is something different, you can check here how it sounds : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

You just need to be able to distinguish two styles of note sounding - legato (connected) and staccato (disconnected or detached).

It is normal that in the beginning it is hard to "connect" notes well with the fretting hand and have those pauses in between.
You will see in my lesson how to overcome that. Basically what you are doing is keeping the finger pressed down on the fret bellow the next note and keeping the pressure until the "new" finger takes over. You can release the pressure on the first note just after the new note was sounded. Same approach goes when you start changing strings (going up or down).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
WillHuang
Jul 31 2011, 06:37 PM
Yes, I can distinguish these two styles. I just can't play fluidly and connect notes smoothly. I will do more practices. Thanks! smile.gif

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 31 2011, 05:15 PM) *
It's not really like that. You just need to be able to play fluidly and connect notes smooth.
Legato technique on electric guitar is something different, you can check here how it sounds : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

You just need to be able to distinguish two styles of note sounding - legato (connected) and staccato (disconnected or detached).

It is normal that in the beginning it is hard to "connect" notes well with the fretting hand and have those pauses in between.
You will see in my lesson how to overcome that. Basically what you are doing is keeping the finger pressed down on the fret bellow the next note and keeping the pressure until the "new" finger takes over. You can release the pressure on the first note just after the new note was sounded. Same approach goes when you start changing strings (going up or down).

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Jul 30 2011, 08:48 PM) *
Looks clean and good, maybe just angle the guitar neck up a bit and move your thumb more middle of the neck (no pressure) to get better access and be able to stretch later on. Keep the fretboard hand using finger tips and try get as close to just behind the metal frets as possible.

Muting is the first major key to playing an electric guitar good. It can involve both hands, palm muting with the picking hand, finger muting and padding with the free fingers on the fretboard hand. Playing fast with muting is a challenge, but something that develops and becomes more natural with practice.

Think karate chop over the guitar bridge with the picking hand and gentle fold it over the strings, you can float when playing and drop it lightly when palm muting depending on how agressive you want it to sound. For scales and licks like this you won't use it too much, you can however also use it to fully mute the above strings or the previous string just played. Your free fingers or underside of the used fingers on the fretboard hand are more important in keeping the other strings quiet, just slightly pad them over normally the string below.

Build up speed slowly, focus more on reducing movement/distance rather than just going fast. Play till near breaking point and slow down till clean again, stop on playing cleanly rather than a mess.

Thanks for your advice! smile.gif

I'm not really understanding the meaning of "padding with the free fingers on the fretboard hand". What do you mean "padding"? Do you mean I can put the free fingers on the strings other then current playing one? That sounds difficult. ^^

--------------------
Will
A Newbie Guitarist

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 31 2011, 08:07 PM
Hi WillHuang, nice work applying all this advice. Looking good.

For "padding with the free fingers on the fretboard hand", this depends on your style of playing, normally used for pauses inbetween powerchords or for scratching up some mean funk rhythm. It's when you keep one or more of your fingers from the fretboard hand anchored on their notes but use the free fingers like pinkie and third to pad across the entire strings muting them. You can use this for timing pauses, do it quickly for rhythm, or keep playing continuously across it when applying and removing to the rhythm make your playing style sound funky. This will just take practice and timing. Don't worry, this wouldn't be used for what your currently practicing - but it's good to know.

You playing flat picking really well (this is a good emotional playing style and you can flex the thumb to dig or lighten notes, but can be slow), I suggest always keeping that pick flat to the strings but you can change by rotate it forward (or backwards) for a better attack angle (change to this style to bring more speed, sounds more agressive, but it can also sound a bit mechanical so it's good to use and develop both). The pick will be resting on the side of the index finger curled back in, with the thumb holding in place. The thumb will be pointing downwards when playing (around 45 degrees rotation). The idea is to use the least amount of surface area of the pick. Choke up on it so just the tip sticks out, keep the thumb straight and fixed, locked in place when at speed.

Hope that makes senses?

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 31 2011, 08:09 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:53 PM