3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Metronome speeds and progress, Let's keep track of our progress!
How long have you been practicing seriously
How long have you been practicing seriously...?
6 months or less [ 95 ] ** [62.50%]
1 year or less [ 29 ] ** [19.08%]
two years or less [ 15 ] ** [9.87%]
three years or less [ 7 ] ** [4.61%]
four years or less [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
More than four years [ 6 ] ** [3.95%]
Total Votes: 168
Guests cannot vote 
chainsbroken
Feb 2 2007, 02:15 PM
GMC:er
Well guess its about time I added my speeds. Ive been here at GMC around 1 month now and here is where I'm at...

Eighth notes 165 bpm biggrin.gif

Triplets 110 bpm laugh.gif

Sixtenth notes 85 bpm rolleyes.gif

Sixtenth not triplets 60 bpm cool.gif

already made alot of progress and looking foward to alot more..... tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by chainsbroken: Feb 2 2007, 02:16 PM

--------------------
Deano
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 2 2007, 07:09 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (chainsbroken @ Feb 2 2007, 02:15 PM) *
Well guess its about time I added my speeds. Ive been here at GMC around 1 month now and here is where I'm at...
Eighth notes 165 bpm biggrin.gif

Triplets 110 bpm laugh.gif

Sixtenth notes 85 bpm rolleyes.gif

Sixtenth not triplets 60 bpm cool.gif

already made alot of progress and looking foward to alot more..... tongue.gif

Great!

By the way, you should be happier over your sixteenth notes - they are faster than the eight notes! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
raqroso
Feb 7 2007, 12:51 AM
I've been working on speed since early December ..
started under 60 bpm 16 note triplets.

Feb 6 16th note trips 72 bpm

+Quote Post
jete124
Feb 7 2007, 04:20 AM
I have been playing for about 3 months and about a month or 2 here at GMC and this is what I'm up to...

Eighth notes 190 bpm

Triplets 140 bpm

Sixteenth notes 110 bpm

Sixteenth note triplets 67 bpm

Kris i was also wondering with those times from me, what do you suggest would be a good way to play ( ie: with 2, 3, 5 notes per beat etc.) the five note licks from your horizontal pentatonic shifting lesson at 100 bpm? smile.gif

This post has been edited by jete124: Feb 7 2007, 05:05 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 9 2007, 12:22 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (jete124 @ Feb 7 2007, 04:20 AM) *
Kris i was also wondering with those times from me, what do you suggest would be a good way to play ( ie: with 2, 3, 5 notes per beat etc.) the five note licks from your horizontal pentatonic shifting lesson at 100 bpm? smile.gif

Not sure what you mean with this..?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jete124
Feb 9 2007, 01:09 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 8 2007, 06:22 PM) *
Not sure what you mean with this..?

Sorry if i was unclear, i meant at that tempo 100 bpm what is the best way to play the string of 5 notes. Like 2 beats per click 3 beats per click etc. I couldn't really tell how you were playing it in the lesson and was curious.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 9 2007, 02:21 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (jete124 @ Feb 9 2007, 01:09 AM) *
Sorry if i was unclear, i meant at that tempo 100 bpm what is the best way to play the string of 5 notes. Like 2 beats per click 3 beats per click etc. I couldn't really tell how you were playing it in the lesson and was curious.

Did I mention a 5-note pattern in there? Which one was it?

2 + 3 is tricky but a great exercise. The easiest is just to play 5 notes per beats - all though it might a bit fast for you. (In that case I would recommend slowing down!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 10 2007, 04:28 PM
I've shopped at the same store for twenty years and the owner laughed pretty good when I came in for a metronome. Anyway, this is the first time I've practiced for any real length of time. I'll just post the lesson I'm working on for now. The speeds are hard for me for two reasons (1) I am primarily a rythm guitar player and (2) I have switched how I hold my pick and it makes me feel like I'm playing left handed.

Sweeping Minor Appregio: 6-tuplets - 60 bpm

e|--19-p-15-----------15--19-p-15------------15---
b|-----------17----17--------------17-----17------
g|--------------16---------------------16---------
d|------------------------------------------------
a|------------------------------------------------
e|------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 12 2007, 08:47 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Feb 10 2007, 04:28 PM) *
I've shopped at the same store for twenty years and the owner laughed pretty good when I came in for a metronome. Anyway, this is the first time I've practiced for any real length of time. I'll just post the lesson I'm working on for now. The speeds are hard for me for two reasons (1) I am primarily a rythm guitar player and (2) I have switched how I hold my pick and it makes me feel like I'm playing left handed.

Sweeping Minor Appregio: 6-tuplets - 60 bpm

e|--19-p-15-----------15--19-p-15------------15---
b|-----------17----17--------------17-----17------
g|--------------16---------------------16---------
d|------------------------------------------------
a|------------------------------------------------
e|------------------------------------------------

Great that you finally did buy the metronome - let's wee who's laughing when you come back to the store and play those sweeps up to tempo! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Beaker
Feb 14 2007, 12:36 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 8 2007, 06:10 AM) *
Unfortunately, how much you want to play isn't very important when considering chronical injuries (= that hurt all your life so you never pick up the guitar again) - however, if you just have sore fingertips you can practice the fingers that aren't sore... smile.gif

PS I know the feeling of wanting to play but not being able to...

LOL! I just posted an introduction and touched on this very same question, guess I should have read through the rest of the forums first tongue.gif

Since I'm posting here while resting my aching hand (boo hiss) I'll repost my speeds here where they belong:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1: 4 notes per string 1,2,3,4 vertical pattern, 60bmp
Day 3: 4 notes per string 1,2,3,4 vertical pattern, 70bmp

A big improvement due to working my pinky for the first time, expect slower steady progress now.
Day 5: 4 notes per string 1,2,3,4 vertical pattern, 80bmp

Skipped a night's practice to rest my hand because it was aching, amazed to discover last night that I got a 10bpm boost again! Must be due to adding the pinky tongue.gif

Also added a new pattern to avoid being stuck in a rut:
4,3,2,1 Ascending (start on low e and run to high e) - sounds nice and confused me at first, good to mix it up a little smile.gif

Oh, I should say I'm not only playing 4 note per string vertical runs, I start out with quarter notes at the same bpm to warm up and build up to 16ths running the pentatonic scale in Am. I've also added sixteenth note triplets to my routine now but for those I drop the tempo to 50bpm tongue.gif I've also started to move the pattern up and down the neck, usually drop the tempo a few bpm to assist the delay in changing position. I think after a month I will add a new scale to the routine to spice it up some more.
Day 6: What the heck is going on!?

Another 10 bpm boost across the whole routine. I'm not sure if this time it's because my warm up is now better, slowly building up allowing me to push a bit harder towards the end of the session but I'm sure this is as far as I can push at the moment so I really do expect this to be consistant for a few days at least. I also tried to push the tempo up higher than I can manage, 100bpm, struggled, then brought it back down making the slower one at 90bpm, although increased from my previous session's 80bpm, seem easy. Not a bad trick to try. I'm a little concerned that sticking to the Am pentatonic box is giving false results, I'd expect to slow down a lot when I get round to trying a new shape but I'm not tempted to learn one yet. My target is 100bpm for at least an entire week's practice before I introduce a new scale. Loving it though, Kris is right, metronome practice can be very addictive! It's easy to spot improvements, even if they are minor biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Beaker: Feb 16 2007, 02:04 PM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 16 2007, 10:17 PM

i. 16th note triplet
---------12-14-15
12-13-15---------

Feb 18 - 50bps

ii. sweep
E|--------------12h-15-15p-12-------------|
B|-----------13---------------13----------|
G|--------12---------------------12-------|
D|-----14---------------------------14----|
A|--15---------------------------------15-|
E|----------------------------------------|

Feb 18 - working on basic mechanics of sweeping

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 19 2007, 10:01 AM

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 25 2007, 08:27 PM
----

This post has been edited by Robin: Mar 26 2007, 03:23 PM

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Mar 3 2007, 03:54 AM
Attached Image Em

3/2/07

My best so far......

95 bpm 16th and really clean for a long time with out getting off at all,

up to 110 for short burst till I get sloppy then I have to be a good boy and back off biggrin.gif

Oh and I intend to up date this post by Monday, wish me luck blink.gif

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 3 2007, 03:54 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Mar 2 2007, 09:54 PM) *
Attached Image Em

3/2/07

My best so far......

95 bpm 16th and really clean for a long time with out getting off at all,

up to 110 for short burst till I get sloppy then I have to be a good boy and back off biggrin.gif

Oh and I intend to up date this post by Monday, wish me luck blink.gif

Good Luck!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 4 2007, 12:50 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Wow, just checked my speeds, and I have improved 50% in the last month (apart from sweeping). Regular practice is amazing!

16th note
-------------12-14-------
-------12-14-------12-14-
-12-14-------------------

8th Feb 90bpm
3rd March 120bpm

16th note triplet
----------12-14-15-
-12-13-15----------

8th Feb 55bpm
3rd March 80bpm

Major Sweep

8th Feb 0bpm
3rd March 50bpm

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Mar 4 2007, 12:51 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Mar 4 2007, 02:34 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 3 2007, 06:50 PM) *
Wow, just checked my speeds, and I have improved 50% in the last month (apart from sweeping). Regular practice is amazing!

16th note
-------------12-14-------
-------12-14-------12-14-
-12-14-------------------

8th Feb 90bpm
3rd March 120bpm

16th note triplet
----------12-14-15-
-12-13-15----------

8th Feb 55bpm
3rd March 80bpm

Major Sweep

8th Feb 0bpm
3rd March 50bpm

Those are some nice improvement there Andrew. Should be some good motivation for you and us all, to get in more practice, ASAP.
It is 7:30 my time and I am starting a four session right now, Good luck to you too.

- leedbreak

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 17 2007, 12:03 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Well i know this.

On January 31st, i had this lick down full speed at 16th notes 160bpm

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ect.
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------11-12-15-12-14-16-----
|------------------------------------------------11-12-15-12-14-16-----------------------------
|-------------------------11-12-15-12-14-16----------------------------------------------------
|--11-12-15-12-14-16---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a basic Lick that i practice speed and accuracy with, now i have it down at almost 190bpm Speedpicking, If i cheat and do it legato i can get to almost 200, legato seems to be easier to play faster in for me, For the last 3 moths or so, ive bee practicing speeding up what i already know how to do, Sweep, Tap, And Picking. i try to practice each 45-60 minutes every day for each technique

This i can play at my fastest, 16th notes, 200bpm, Sweepin comes easy to me, especially 3 string (Thanks to M.A.B.'s Speed Kills 1 and 2! )

|--19p15------------15h19p15-------------15h19p15--
|---------17-----17------------17------17---------------
|-------------16--------------------16-------------------
|----------------------------------------------------------

and if i change to this, the tempo drops to about 185-190. and if i did it 4 string sweeps, well, i cant do 4 string sweeps, i dont know why, but i can barely play them at all for some reason

|----------------14h17p14--------------------------14h17p14--
|------------15-------------15-------------------15------------
|---------14-------------------14-------------14---------------
|------15--------------------------15-----15-------------------
|--17----------------------------------17-----------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Mar 17 2007, 12:06 AM

+Quote Post
Ghrim
Mar 17 2007, 05:31 AM
I've only been playing for about 3 weeks so hopefully I'll see a huge improvement soon biggrin.gif

Triplets: 108/130 bpm
16th Note Triplets: 58/64 bpm

|--------------------12--14--15---|
|--12--13--15---------------------|

16th Notes: 88/100 bpm

|---9--12--10--12----------------|

EDIT: I got a new guitar! It seems i can play a lot faster with it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ghrim: Mar 19 2007, 05:45 AM

+Quote Post
Jimmy S
Apr 6 2007, 11:03 AM
At the start of the day i was playing 16th not triplets at 60bpm, ive been playin for 8 hours straight now i play 100bpm. I signed up, and started speedpicking last night. tongue.gif
Thx, Kris u & ur lessons rock!

+Quote Post
edgor67
Apr 8 2007, 08:30 PM
I set my metronome to 100bpm. I play scales Major and Min Pentatonic at this speed. I still don't understand the connection but I'm doing it. My brain is not connecting the Metronome and the scales but I'm still trying.
g

This post has been edited by edgor67: Apr 8 2007, 08:31 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:07 PM