2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Starting Off Playing Electric ?
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 24 2008, 10:06 PM
GMC:er
Hey Guys biggrin.gif , Im ready to start making some more "Question" topics and it starts with this one smile.gif

Does starting off from the start of your guitar career playing Electric Guitar hinder you as a player vs. playing Acoustic ( or Acoustic Electric)?

Discuss.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 24 2008, 10:20 PM
Instructor
I think it is not that important really. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 24 2008, 11:00 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 24 2008, 05:20 PM) *
I think it is not that important really. smile.gif

I agree. Learning to play 6 strings is learning to play 6 strings imho.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 24 2008, 11:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
I agree. Learning to play 6 strings is learning to play 6 strings imho.

Not really. biggrin.gif PLaying the acoustic guitar is different from playing the electric guitar. Sure you learn to control your fingers better, but there are different techniques. Have you ever seen an acoustic guitarist sweeping? huh.gif I personally made this special experience. I started with classical guitar 6 (nearly 7 years) ago. I learned what tirando and apoyando is, but I never heard of tapping or even speed picking. When I got my first electric guitar, I didn´t really know what to do with it. I could just play power chords and that´s all. Then I joined GMC and learned a lot about techniques, gear and famous guitarists.
Also, the kind of guitar you play varies with the style you want to play. I can´t imagine death metal played with an acoustic guitar and some campfire songs with an electric guitar.

Cheers

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 24 2008, 11:16 PM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jul 24 2008, 06:08 PM) *
Not really. biggrin.gif PLaying the acoustic guitar is different from playing the electric guitar. Sure you learn to control your fingers better, but there are different techniques. Have you ever seen an acoustic guitarist sweeping? huh.gif I personally made this special experience. I started with classical guitar 6 (nearly 7 years) ago. I learned what tirando and apoyando is, but I never heard of tapping or even speed picking. When I got my first electric guitar, I didn´t really know what to do with it. I could just play power chords and that´s all. Then I joined GMC and learned a lot about techniques, gear and famous guitarists.
Also, the kind of guitar you play varies with the style you want to play. I can´t imagine death metal played with an acoustic guitar and some campfire songs with an electric guitar.

Cheers

Owe, I thought the question was does it HINDER your ability to learn depending on which you started with, not the differences between the two. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 24 2008, 11:18 PM
Instructor
Learn both equally,no problem at all. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 24 2008, 11:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
Owe, I thought the question was does it HINDER your ability to learn depending on which you started with, not the differences between the two. wink.gif

You´re right. ^^" Sorry for the wrong intervention.

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 24 2008, 11:30 PM
Now you guys have got me thinking. @ Muris, how bout a lesson with an acoustic? Now that would too cool! smile.gif Please use a pick though tongue.gif

+Quote Post
uberIbanez
Jul 24 2008, 11:33 PM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jul 24 2008, 06:30 PM) *
Now you guys have got me thinking. @ Muris, how bout a lesson with an acoustic? Now that would too cool! smile.gif Please use a pick though tongue.gif

he has done acoustic lessons cool.gif

+Quote Post
Canis
Jul 24 2008, 11:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
I started with acoustic three years before I even touched an electric. I didn't learn a lot, since I just surfed around learning video game themes, but it definetly helped when I got my electric ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skyla°Lit
Jul 25 2008, 07:21 AM
Playing both acoustic & electric could be the most efficient way of mastering the instrument smile.gif

Personally, I find it great to switch in between the two when I need a rest from my electric... Especially if you learn to play classical stuff on a nylon-stringed guitar... It makes it a productive rest smile.gif

As for the potential "hindering" - I doubt there is any big risk... Like Tolek said - those are 2 different instruments smile.gif Besides, I'm pretty sure there is a bunch of great guitarists who haven't ever touched an acoustic.

--------------------
“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”

+Quote Post
rockztar
Jul 25 2008, 08:07 AM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jul 25 2008, 12:08 AM) *
Have you ever seen an acoustic guitarist sweeping?

haven´t you tongue.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnK7eFC__ZI...feature=related

I now its not precisly super fast, but still

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS CE24 Amber
Yamaha C40

Amp:
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
dd-6, cs-3, Emma ReezaFRATzitz - morley wah- rc-2

Guthrie Govan, Thomas blug, alex hutchings and many others

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 25 2008, 08:20 AM
Lets go fishing!

Do your exercises correctly on Electric and youll be fine anyway! wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 25 2008, 10:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
haven´t you tongue.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnK7eFC__ZI...feature=related

I now its not precisly super fast, but still

That´s not an acoustic guitar. tongue.gif That´s a classcial one. But still, it´s a bit strange. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 25 2008, 10:51 AM
Learning Roadie
I think it depends on what you want to play.
When you want to play rock and metal you should start with an electric guitar. In my opinion you should do what makes fun. This keeps the motivation going and this is the most important thing.
But on the other hand, there is no sense in giving an electric guitar to an classical player who wants to play accoustic guitar anyway.

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 25 2008, 10:55 AM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jul 25 2008, 12:08 AM) *

Cheers

Are you talking about me ? biggrin.gif That's exactly the way how my guitar career went to now...and I must say that I am glad that I started off with classical as a good basic...when it comes to fingerpicking I am always superior to those who never got rid of the pick so far !

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 25 2008, 11:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
Are you talking about me ? biggrin.gif That's exactly the way how my guitar career went to now...and I must say that I am glad that I started off with classical as a good basic...when it comes to fingerpicking I am always superior to those who never got rid of the pick so far !

I´ve got the same story. biggrin.gif I started playing with classical and added the electric guitar 2 years ago. smile.gif Fingerpicking is pretty easy. But some songs (Etude 4 by Villa-Lobos I think) are really heavy. biggrin.gif

Does starting off from the start of your guitar career playing Electric Guitar hinder you as a player vs. playing Acoustic ( or Acoustic Electric)?

It still depends which style you want to play. If you start playing classic with a classical it´s a bit more difficult to get used to the pick and the different techniques. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 25 2008, 12:07 PM
depends on musical taste. I think you should start playing electric if you like rock, etc. and vice versa.
Having a goal is really important when starting to play, becuase it's a very hard instrument to manage kontra others.
Personally I started with acoustic guitar later on.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 25 2008, 12:58 PM
Instructor
I started off with electric. I think i've only played like 3-4 hours combined on a acoustic guitar since 1991 smile.gif
I dont think it's any hinder for your development if you start off with electric, or only play that.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Jul 25 2008, 12:59 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 25 2008, 02:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well acoustic guitar is just a little different but If you only play electric that's ok and you can get very good at playing "guitar" generally on it..Its just same story with piano and keyboards...You can always pickup acoustic guitar and practice playing on it too... wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:04 PM