Ninjam
Jeff
Sep 14 2007, 07:29 PM
GMC:er
Does anyone know anything about Ninjam? It looks like an online collaboration tool but I don't know how it works. Can it be used at GMC?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 14 2007, 07:36 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (jeff @ Sep 14 2007, 07:29 PM) *
Does anyone know anything about Ninjam? It looks like an online collaboration tool but I don't know how it works. Can it be used at GMC?

just read through the page- sounds confusing mellow.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 14 2007, 07:52 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 14 2007, 01:36 PM) *
just read through the page- sounds confusing mellow.gif

Same here. I think I'll download it and see how to use it. It looks like there is a Ninjam server somewhere that hosts it and you log in and collaborate on-line. It looks pretty cool, but I'm confused about it too. huh.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 14 2007, 07:58 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (jeff @ Sep 14 2007, 07:52 PM) *
Same here. I think I'll download it and see how to use it. It looks like there is a Ninjam server somewhere that hosts it and you log in and collaborate on-line. It looks pretty cool, but I'm confused about it too. huh.gif

i dont quite get it- is it a real time jam do you think??

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 14 2007, 09:02 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 14 2007, 01:58 PM) *
i dont quite get it- is it a real time jam do you think??

I heard it was real-time jam, i downloaded it, but didnt have the right equipment for it. Seems pretty cool, but also seems as if it would be quite laggy and everything to!!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 16 2007, 09:32 PM
GMC Founder
Sounds interesting - looking forward to hear a review so we can determine whether this is something for gmc!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 16 2007, 10:47 PM
Instructor
I think it's actually for online jamming,
but can be used for collabs as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Kai Muehlenbruch
Sep 16 2007, 11:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (muris @ Sep 16 2007, 11:47 PM) *
I think it's actually for online jamming,
but can be used for collabs as well. smile.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! ohmy.gif

finally !!! i waited for something like this...*INSTALLED*

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 17 2007, 03:19 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Kai Muehlenbruch @ Sep 16 2007, 06:01 PM) *
WOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! ohmy.gif

finally !!! i waited for something like this...*INSTALLED*

Its almost real time but not quite - there is a 1 bar delay or something.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 17 2007, 03:21 AM
That brings up a great idea Kris. Maybe we could have soemthign like that on GMC. I know it woudl take a while and stuff. But online Jam for us. That would be VERY COOL!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 19 2007, 01:14 AM
I tried it out last night. It is very cool! I used it as a plug in for Reaper. Easy to use. There are webservers that host sessions and basically you just log in and jam along with others in the session. It's a total improv. You can text message while in a jam session so you can write stuff, request key changes or whatever else you want to do. I played with a keyboard, bass and trumpet player. The sessions can be recorded and made into MP3's. It's really fun.

There are instructions on how to run it with your own server but I couldn't tell you how that would be done at GMC. But I bet one of you computer experts can get it done and it would be an awesome addition. WARNING: It can be addictive!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Sep 19 2007, 02:37 AM
^^Hmm, yeah, sounds really cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kai Muehlenbruch
Sep 19 2007, 03:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jeff @ Sep 19 2007, 02:14 AM) *
I tried it out last night. It is very cool! I used it as a plug in for Reaper. Easy to use. There are webservers that host sessions and basically you just log in and jam along with others in the session. It's a total improv. You can text message while in a jam session so you can write stuff, request key changes or whatever else you want to do. I played with a keyboard, bass and trumpet player. The sessions can be recorded and made into MP3's. It's really fun.

There are instructions on how to run it with your own server but I couldn't tell you how that would be done at GMC. But I bet one of you computer experts can get it done and it would be an awesome addition. WARNING: It can be addictive!! laugh.gif

it would be cool to know how it works ... i tried around but did not get anything going :/ and i dont have time for hours of setup blink.gif

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 19 2007, 03:23 AM
Great find Jeff! Hopefully, that comes to GMC. How much fun would it be to not only chat online, but play online?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 19 2007, 08:50 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Jeff,

what was the latency like on your connection (and what's the speed of your connection)? My connection speed sucks so dry.gif ...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 20 2007, 12:32 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 19 2007, 02:50 AM) *
Jeff,

what was the latency like on your connection (and what's the speed of your connection)? My connection speed sucks so dry.gif ...

Cheers,
Tony

I didn't have any problems with latency. I wish I were technical enough to tell you what the speed of my connection is but I'm cluless in that regard mellow.gif . Maybe you can help me determine how to find out and I can tell you. I am hooked up through a high speed cable modem if that helps. It's funny because I really didn't notice any latency. It felt like real time to me. I played a little more on it this morning with some success. I will say that my experience has been a little mixed. I was in one jam session where the users were not so friendly and another where they were great. You'll get a mixed bag of things.

I used a PODxt and I have ninjam as a AST through Reaper and it seems to work very well. The ninjam website has a list of servers and you can see how many people are on. So far it has been mainly keyboard players. Not sure they are so fond of distorted guitars! At least that is what someone told me. laugh.gif So, I cleaned it up. dry.gif smile.gif

I'm trying to figure out how to record the sessions and also trying to determine if I can install the server on my PC and set up my own sessions.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 20 2007, 12:58 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Easiest way to test Jeff is via an online site like this one. There is also software around where you can do the same test and also ones that will trace the route that your pc and isp use to connect to any particular site.

My connection speed btw rarely gets over 200kb/s up and 120 down. At the moment its about 120 up and 56 down. But mine is a bit odd as its a sat connection so the download readings are false. I also get a bit of packet loss which doesn't help but that's another story dry.gif . Can't get landline, microwave or cable connection where I live so stuck with it dry.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 20 2007, 01:11 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 19 2007, 06:58 PM) *
Easiest way to test Jeff is via an online site like this one. There is also software around where you can do the same test and also ones that will trace the route that your pc and isp use to connect to any particular site.

My connection speed btw rarely gets over 200kb/s up and 120 down. At the moment its about 120 up and 56 down. But mine is a bit odd as its a sat connection so the download readings are false. I also get a bit of packet loss which doesn't help but that's another story dry.gif . Can't get landline, microwave or cable connection where I live so stuck with it dry.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

Hey that's a cool site! I'll check it out tonight and let you know. thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:14 AM