Alternate Picking Scales To Sound Like Licks, Quick Licks #22 (Making Scales Sound like Licks)
Todd Simpson
Apr 7 2018, 10:20 PM
GMC:er
Alternate Picking Scales to Sound Like Licks

INTRO:

This lick is based on the MINOR SCALE. The point of this lick is to run the scale so that it sounds like something musical. Like an actual lick, and not just like you are running a scale through two octaves. Running a scale from top to bottom with no pause is a sure sign that your best days are yet to come as a player. Scales are just containers for notes. It's how we approach them that makes them sound musical. Bouncing around inside of them, pausing for vibrato to add emphasis on a given note, these are what make scales sound like music and not like just a hand workout. To wit!

Here is the tablature. Make sure you use VIBRATO where it's notated and HOLD the notes where it's indicated. If you need a reference, just watch the video again and play it just like that. Try not to use single finger vibrato on this one as it sounds way to small imho. Dig in and give it some real vibrato smile.gif This is a simple lick. Just a scale. There is a pinch of back and forth, and some holding and vibrato for emphasis. That's what makes the difference between just running scales and playing a solo smile.gif
As always, start SLOW, don't worry about playing this fast. Just focus on playing it CLEAN Speed is a byproduct of precision. Just like previous quick licks, this lick works as a warmup, practice and solo lick. Don't over stress on getting it just right, or fast enough. This is just about learning the lick. Once you have it you can start it anywhere on the neck to play it in any key.

*NOTE:
I kept the time signaure in 4/4 as switching to other time signatures seems to really throw folks off. Use your ear as a reference and listen to the original vid.

Attached Image

Attached File  22.gp5 ( 1.77K ) Number of downloads: 147

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS

This is being played against "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" which we also used in our Saturday Shred fest. The difference here is that I want you to try this actual lick. You can play it with or without the background track. As long as you play the hold and the vibrato. Should be a simple thing smile.gif It's this type of stuff that makes players in to lead players. Not just scale runners. You guys are more than ready!!

Here is the backing track.

Attached File  BackingTrack.mp3 ( 1.61MB ) Number of downloads: 225

BTW:
If you've been waiting to jump in to Quick Licks, this is your chance!! Would love to hear from Bleez, Degroot, Fzalfa, Ben, yoncopin and the Spartan! All the usual suspects! Have not heard from many folks in quite some time. I hope they are still here on the site. If it's been a while for you, please do jump back in!

On a side note, Quick Licks #20 got a repost and shot to 1,000 views in a single day to super thanks for the repost!

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 9 2018, 01:39 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Apr 8 2018, 12:19 AM
Experienced Rock Star
My take Sarge!! Happy Eater!!! You have 1000s of views because it is totally awesome Sarge!!!!
GREAT!!! It actually inspired me to write a solo which I improvised over the first quick lick!! Hope you like it!!!

THE SPARTAN

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 8 2018, 06:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi

i have done a quick shot, to test my setup, but i had issue with volume...

so i share even if the take in not perfect, i'll do another shot later

Cheers

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 8 2018, 10:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Flubbed a note at the end and threw off my mojo, but whatever smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2018, 02:03 AM
Nice!!!! I must say, you are always first to fight soldier. You are just relentless. You are going to make one hell of a guitar player. This is a great example of using a lick in a solo context. You don't just run the scale, you use the vibrato and pauses to ad emphasis just like the lick is supposed to do. It's a rookie mistake to just run a scale up or down during a solo. I'm sure you hear folks doing it all the time on youtube. It's not hard to spot those folks. Not the case here. You are using the lick in a musical way and then improvising around it. It's exactly what I hoped to see. You are much further along in terms of playing lead than wads of other folks who have been at it much longer. Congrats you have just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

*And you are the ONLY Star of Honor holder for completing every Quick Licks. No other GMCer can claim that. Even ones that have been here for many years. Congrats.

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Apr 7 2018, 07:19 PM) *
My take Sarge!! Happy Eater!!! You have 1000s of views because it is totally awesome Sarge!!!!
GREAT!!! It actually inspired me to write a solo which I improvised over the first quick lick!! Hope you like it!!!

THE SPARTAN

Very nice indeed!!! You took the lick, and made it your own and built it in to a solo. I honestly didn't hear a flub. IF there was one, it was a musical flub, which is fine in a solo. In a solo, if it sounds good, it is good. You made good use of the vibrato and of the stops to add note emphasis. Then you went to town using your own thing. I'm stoked to see you ripping it up and improving solos. Keep it up!!!! In other words you just...

[b]LEVELED UP!!!!!![/b]

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Apr 8 2018, 05:49 PM) *
Flubbed a note at the end and threw off my mojo, but whatever smile.gif

This is exactly what I was looking for!! Very good solo!! The volume is a little quiet but as long as I can hear what you are playing volume is secondary. This is plenty good enough to get reviewed and LEVELED UP, but if you'd like to do another take, I"m all for it!!!! This one is quite good so please go forth and hit it again if you like!!!!

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Apr 8 2018, 01:15 PM) *
Hi

i have done a quick shot, to test my setup, but i had issue with volume...

so i share even if the take in not perfect, i'll do another shot later

Cheers

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 9 2018, 02:01 AM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 9 2018, 09:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This is another take, better sound...

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 10 2018, 02:37 AM
Nice!! This is probably one of my fave solos of yours that you've ever done. You have come a long way in terms of your soloing. You are not just stringing licks together, you are responding musically to the backing. That's the real key. To be able to listen to the backing and here the notes in your head before you play them. You nailed the lick and then went off on your own improv. Your technique is spot on, the tone is good and your new recording studio sounds very nice!! Congrats on getting it all set up again. Every time I move I sorta dread re connecting everything. But it's worth it smile.gif In short you killed it and ..

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Apr 9 2018, 04:08 PM) *
Hi Todd

This is another take, better sound...

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 24 2018, 10:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
Lick and some solo:

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 5 2018, 07:44 AM
Nailed it. This is what I wanted to see. Taking a scale shape, and turning it in to something musical. After all, as I've said frequently, that's the entire point of everything we are doing here at GMC. To get you to a place where you can express yourselves musically, with the various techniques/tools/theory that you learn along the way.

Needless to say, technique is spot on. The point here is the solo. The interpretation of notes in a given scale against a backing to create a melody which elicits emotion on the part of the listener. That's the end all and be all of learning to play guitar as far as I'm concerned. Being able to play something that gets people to feel something. Nice!!! Translation, KILLED IT!! and

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 24 2018, 05:30 PM) *
Lick and some solo:

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Oct 20 2018, 08:44 PM
Learning Roadie
the first time round ive missed a note, but the second phrasing of the first lick is right smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 20 2018, 09:44 PM
Nice!! The whole point of this Mission is to get you to play a scale in a musical way against a backing and you clearly have no problems there. Nice solo! Good technique, timing, picking. It's all there. Some of your bends are not all the way to pitch, but that's something that's a bonus in this one. Just wanted to get you guys running a scale in a musical way and you did a great on that! You just..
LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Oct 20 2018, 03:44 PM) *
the first time round ive missed a note, but the second phrasing of the first lick is right smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 2 2018, 09:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
22 up for scrutiny Todd. Guitar needs new strings and a set up to suit me but shouldn't detract too much, I just wanted to keep it in my lap so didn't swap it wink.gif

https://youtu.be/tL30JjymJj8

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 3 2018, 06:53 AM
Nice!!! I see that your vibrato is improving as well. Well done there. Vibrato takes forever, so just keep chipping away at it, doing bits that use it and using it in solos. This scale is my fave 3 note per string way of running the Minor scale. Running it in the standard form, gets you doing 2 notes per string at certain points, which always ruins the fluid nature of a 3 note per string approach. You have this shape well in hand. It also works during blues solos believe it or not smile.gif Well played. Nice axe you got there!! You just.

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 2 2018, 04:51 PM) *
22 up for scrutiny Todd. Guitar needs new strings and a set up to suit me but shouldn't detract too much, I just wanted to keep it in my lap so didn't swap it wink.gif

https://youtu.be/tL30JjymJj8

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 3 2018, 06:55 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 20 2019, 02:32 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 20 2019, 08:55 AM
You are getting the idea here smile.gif It sounds Musical!! I do notice that your vibrato does need some work. I'm suing a single finger vibrato technique in various places that requires one to move the entire hand rather than just the finger in order to get enough "wag" to give nice deep vibrato. Your vibrato here is a bit "shallow". It doesn't ring very wide as you are mostly using just the finger instead of the entire hand. Watch the video again at 1:17 and notice how my entire left hand wags back and forth a bit. This isn't going to keep you from leveling up here, as the goal is to make a scale sound musical and you did!! But it did stick out as something that needs work. Try to go back over this after watching the video and see if you can re create a wider vibrato like I'm doing at 1:17. Vibrato is what separates good players from great players imho!
Your work here is solid enough to get you .....
LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 19 2019, 09:32 PM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 21 2019, 11:20 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 20 2019, 08:55 AM) *
You are getting the idea here smile.gif It sounds Musical!! I do notice that your vibrato does need some work. I'm suing a single finger vibrato technique in various places that requires one to move the entire hand rather than just the finger in order to get enough "wag" to give nice deep vibrato. Your vibrato here is a bit "shallow". It doesn't ring very wide as you are mostly using just the finger instead of the entire hand. Watch the video again at 1:17 and notice how my entire left hand wags back and forth a bit. This isn't going to keep you from leveling up here, as the goal is to make a scale sound musical and you did!! But it did stick out as something that needs work. Try to go back over this after watching the video and see if you can re create a wider vibrato like I'm doing at 1:17. Vibrato is what separates good players from great players imho!
Your work here is solid enough to get you .....
LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image
Todd

I admit I did the yesterday's video in a hurry and late at night and I didn't want to bother anyone (too much), hence that performance was a bit lacking. I re-tried it today, though I got a Pass grade. I hope the vibrato (and other possible issues) aren't as bad in here smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2019, 04:17 AM
I must admit I do like this one better! You have much better tone and much better vibrato!! Thanks for taking a second look! It's worth it imho. WELL PLAYED!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 21 2019, 06:20 PM) *
I admit I did the yesterday's video in a hurry and late at night and I didn't want to bother anyone (too much), hence that performance was a bit lacking. I re-tried it today, though I got a Pass grade. I hope the vibrato (and other possible issues) aren't as bad in here smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:57 AM